Sign in to follow this  
MaryJane

Buying a Secondhand Car

MaryJane

Just wanted to ask around with regards to secondhand cars and what to look out for.

A friend is selling his old car for $1000 (negotiable). It's very old. It's a 2000 Acura 1.6 EL. It's in good condition though and still running.

I know there's things to think about like mileage, accident history, if it will pass emissions test and all others, but what else do I really need to check/ask for before buying it?

I don't plan to keep this car for long (don't think it will last that long either but maybe a year or 2 or 3). It will be a second car.

What do you guys think?

Consider the service history as well. Did the car get all the services and was the items replaced when it should have been replaced.

KarinN

There is a lot of good information on here: http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/buy-vehicle/buy-a-used-vehicle/Pages/Default.aspx

I also saw something at some stage where you could have the vehicle inspected for a fee but I'm not sure if it was with the CAA or with the insurance company.

Edited by KarinN

There is a lot of good information on here: http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/buy-vehicle/buy-a-used-vehicle/Pages/Default.aspx

I also saw something at some stage where you could have the vehicle inspected for a fee but I'm not sure if it was with the CAA or with the insurance company.

KarinN, correct about CAA, even better of you have membership? Here is a link: http://www.caasco.com/Membership-and-Savings/Member-Benefits.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6cCuBRCh4KrGoJ6LoboBEiQAwzYsdIgbMDwYIvsT5Q0Ms1P4KIRABINHwMTqPRrzwV94ct4aAq_X8P8HAQ . If you scroll down to item no 4: http://www.caasco.com/Auto.aspx?refd=automotive , they offer advice on purchasing a second-hand car, for non-members a fee will apply.

Also consider talking to your insurance company about insurance rates etc.

vinceb

I like going to Consumer Reports online, they generally give excellent reviews, comparisons and recommendations on everything from white goods to motorcars. I looked for Acura 1.6L but the reviews only go back to 2005/6.

MaryJane

Thank you for taking the time to comment, guys! I will take all your comments in. I've looked it up a bit more and see that I might have to pay PST (to ServiceOntario) based on the retail price of the car. (And here I thought I was getting a good deal).

Anyways, we'll see if we will still take the car.

Thanks again.

M-N

Thank you for taking the time to comment, guys! I will take all your comments in. I've looked it up a bit more and see that I might have to pay PST (to ServiceOntario) based on the retail price of the car. (And here I thought I was getting a good deal).

Anyways, we'll see if we will still take the car.

Thanks again.

What's PST? She ask while commenting from within Alberta. :P Lol, Sorry, couldn't resist.

MaryJane

What's PST? She ask while commenting from within Alberta. :P Lol, Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yeah, yeah....rub it in, you Albertan you, hah! :lol:

M-N

Yeah, yeah....rub it in, you Albertan you, hah! :lol:

Lol. Never too sure how long that'll last. Especially with our new government. Teehee.