Sign in to follow this  
shawman

Nanaimo, BC: a slice of paradise

Raquel

Okay MJ and CathyK, now I'm jealous! :)

MaryJane

Okay MJ and CathyK, now I'm jealous! :)

How's about you get your butt here in Ontario and we plan to go together? I'm sure there's plenty of melktart for everyone...... :lol:

I'm also sure Ouma Cathy's melktart alone are reason enough to visit Nanaimo.... :D

• Like 2

Raquel

Trying my very best MJ! ;) if I could get on a plane tonight, I assure you I would without thinking twice!

Perhaps you could pay the peeps at the Ontario PNP processing centre a visit, and tell them how essential AND urgent my Nomination is! Lol!

Tell them: The applicants gotta get her butt here ASAP, she needs some melktert from Ouma Cathy... It's a matter of life or death! Lol :)

Edited by Raquel
  • Like 4

Jules

The dreamer in me pictures myself giving up my corporate job in Toronto and opening a small eatery or coffee shop in a place like Nanaimo and living a more peaceful slower pace of life.

The realistic reminds me I have zero experience in doing that kind of business and would likely lose all my money in the process.

• Like 1

Wolverine

The dreamer in me pictures myself giving up my corporate job in Toronto and opening a small eatery or coffee shop in a place like Nanaimo and living a more peaceful slower pace of life.

The realistic reminds me I have zero experience in doing that kind of business and would likely lose all my money in the process.

That makes two of us buddy.

Cathy K

MJ, this ouma is quite popular with Ruby's friends, especially at mealtimes. :D

Jules, rather think of opening a holiday resort. We have lots of camp grounds, Bed & Breakfast, and hotels, but not that many chalets where families can stay.

The quaint eateries are everywhere.

http://www.calicocatteahouse.com/

Edited by Cathy K
  • Like 1

Stefan

Ag shame, paradise is flawed - I'm teasing you Cathy, actually I beg to differ. I stayed in Parksville, not that far to the north, there seemed to be enough family vacation rentals there, probably because of the huge beach.

And yes, it makes me remember Sedgefield too.

Edited by Stefan

Cathy K

The whole Vancouver Island is beautiful. That is why we prefer to spend our summers at home.

Stefan, Rathtrevor beach is awesome!

Cathedral Grove:

Coombs. Not only do you have the goats on the roof, but they also sell a wide variety of South African staples like Ouma Beskuit, Mrs Balls Chutley, Ina Paarman's spices, etc.

CharleneK

Rathtrevor is amazing! At spring tide ebb you are exhausted by the time you reach the water's edge. I've never seen such a wide beach anywhere else. Luckliy there are plenty of tide "puddles" filled with fascinating critters for one's amusement on the way.

• Like 1

Raquel

Stunning Cathy! :ilikeit:

Between Nelline selling PEI and Cathy / Charlene selling Nanaimo - I smell an east - west contest! :P

Helanie

hahhahaha I agree Raquel!! They are tearing us apart!! ahahhahah :ilikeit:

Jules

Stunning Cathy! :ilikeit:

Between Nelline selling PEI and Cathy / Charlene selling Nanaimo - I smell an east - west contest! :P

It's a draw - so we chose Ontario in the middle

;-)

• Like 2

It's a draw - so we chose Ontario in the middle

;-)

And we did mention Toronto is one of the most livable cities in the world right.....

Edited by WernerC

M-N

And we did mention Toronto is one of the most livable cities in the world right.....

So is Calgary. :P City and mountains. ?

Edited by M-N

So is Calgary. :P City and mountains.

:P

We have city, beaches and a lake.... not to mention the island in the lake which is completely car free..... :)

M-N

:P

We have city, beaches and a lake.... not to mention the island in the lake which is completely car free..... :)

:P I love my Cowtown. :cowboy:

Cathy K

C'mon, lets agree: The whole Canada is awesome!

• Like 1

Raquel

Oh nooooo.... What did I start? :)

I agree with Cathy! All of Canada is awesome from what I can see! ;)

• Like 1

Stefan

OK, Cathy, now if you mention the other awesome things about Vanc.Island that you've been saving for last, you can crush the competition!

The sea life, the bald eagles, waterfalls, Strathcona, the native art, wines, West Coast Trail, the surfing & sea kayaking splendours on the islands, sounds and archipelagos.

Clearly, my family would try to live here if I didn't have a decent job and family support here in the GTA. Ag man, it's hard to give up that job.

• Like 1

MissFrowz

My inlaws live in Nanaimo, while hubby and I live in Victoria. I must agree that Nanaimo is stunning! We were just at Rathtrevor Beach Park this past weekend taking my new pitbull puppy to the beach! Too bad we didn't take pictures, it was such a gorgeous day!

Cathy K, the location of your neighbourhood pics looks familiar. I think we may walk past your house frequently when we are in Nanaimo. My inlaws live on Lasalle road. Is that anywhere close to you?

Victoria is also beautiful for those of you interested. I will try and post pics from when my mum visited a few months ago. She totally loved it on the Island and was sad to go back to miserable Zimbabwe.

• Like 1

Cathy K

Lasalle Road turns out of Lewis Road where we live.

We love Victoria and often visit. It’s like a little piece of England.

I would like to see Butchart Gardens at Chistmas time. We have been there in Spring and summer, but never in Fall and Winter.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheButchartGardens

And then there is Chemainus.

• Like 1

Jules

That's a picture perfect little town. Makes us city slickers rather envious.

M-N

It's seems beautiful but I'm a city slicker by nature. I loved living in Joburg. I like Calgary because I find it's a nice balance for what I want and need. Mountains and city is the way to go. That's why I would have loved Cape Town. Don't think I'll fare well in the country side. Nice for getaways though. It's really beautiful there. :) will be on my "places to visit" bucket list.

• Like 1

Wolverine

Anybody been to Lake Cowichan??

MissFrowz

Yes. We go tubing at Cowichan River in the summer. Spectacular place!