Sign in to follow this  
PeterJ

Advice regarding Open Work Permit for South Africans wanting to coach

PeterJ

Hi Guys,

I am a 22 year old South African from Joburg and would like to spend 2 years in British Columbia coaching and playing club rugby. My girlfriend of 3 years would also like to join me.

We would like to spend two years in BC and earn a decent wage while there so we would both need work permits.

Long story short the rugby club in Vancouver that I plan on joining have assured me that they can secure a job for myself and my girlfriend when we arrive (Not employed by the club itself), BUT they would not be able to send me a firm job offer or letter of employment. They will however send me a letter of invitation and state in that letter that they can secure employment during my stay in BC and assist with accommodation also.

I need advice from you guys as to how we should approach this and if it is even a viable option:

Could we apply for an Open Work Permit and what are the chances of actually getting it?

Any advice would be very helpful.

Kind regards,

Peter

Nelline

Unless there are people already on the forum who'd gone that route in the past and can advise, (I don't know of any unfortunately) I'd say you need some professional input (an accredited immigration consult) regarding this one Peter.

Edited by Nelline

Tracey22

can you see if there is an open work permit program for you as you are under 29? A cousin from Australia has just arrived under such a program. the CIC issues you a 2 year work permit in this specific category.

M-N

As far as I know if you hold an eligible passport you can apply for an open work permit at Port of entry. Sadly, a South Africa passport is not eligible for that route.

Perhaps read up on the CIC website to see what your possibilities are and whether this position is LMIA exempt.

PeterJ

Thanks a lot guys I'll check it out!