Sign in to follow this  

Just the two of us, We can make it anywhere.....

I decided to start a journal with AshB and my journey.

Today marks 9 days to lift off..... Some last few items on our to do list remains outstanding, but these will be sorted out in good time before our departure. All in all, our journey this far have been not bad.

Our house contents were successfully moved to the storage unit, aka AshB's dad in Durban, where it will be looked after. We have our goods to follow list sorted which just needs to be printed.

Because we are slightly ahead of our planning, this meant we could spend a couple of days on the beach. Now I know you might think beach in middle of winter. Let me tell you the weather is glorious. I will post a few pics later. Most days are 30 degrees and blue skies!

Day one we went to Durban central beach and I really didn't look forward to that run down part of town. Well I was pleasantly surprised. Marine parade have been restored to its former glory. The cable cars are working, there were people from all walks of life running, jogging, cycling, walking all along the beach front. The surfers were out in full force, and people brought their very well behaved 4 legged furry children to the beach as well! It was a great great vibe. It somehow gives me some hope for SA if I look at the transformation which took place on Marine parade.

Time on the beach also gave us some quiet time to reflect on the last couple of months and to prepare for the next phase. Quiet time is sometimes needed to recharge the soul's batteries.

So now we are ready..... Starting today we are seeing mostly AshB's family for the good byes. Tuesday is back to Gauteng and then it is my family's turn and our final preparations......

9 days and counting........

Edited by WernerC

Helanie

Awesome Werner & Ash! I will keep an eye on your journal and thanks for sharing! Good luck with all the goodbyes in SA and the new Hello's in Canada :ilikeit::D

Raquel

All the very best for the final stretch! Sending only good energy and love for you both to kick start this new chapter! :hug:

• Like 1

WernerC & AshB, all the best with those last goodbyes and final preparations. Great that you've had sometime to re-charge those batteries before you begin the next phase of your immigration journey. Exciting times!

Nettie

Good luck on your journey. I know goodbye's are hard. You will soon be enjoying the freedoms of a safe country. All the best.

:ilikeit:

• Like 1

Hmmm what's going on here? :blush:

Thanks everyone! I haven't been on here much as I have been playing project director...bossing everyone around including my dad :oops:

But that bossing has resulted in the downtime that allowed us to recharge. I am tempted to ditch all the family (and the lunch they have prepared) and head to the beach it's an awesome blue skies and sunshine day here today!

Cathy K

En soos ek altyd sĂȘ: Koop daai laaste Suid-Afrikaanse koerant(e) net voor julle vertrek. Ek blaai steeds so af en toe deur die Rapport en Sunday Times van 2001 en staan verstom oor hoe alles sedertdien verander het.

In the beginning those two newspapers always put things into perspective when I really wondered if we did the right thing.

Edited by Cathy K
  • Like 2

Wise advice Cathy.... We are most certainly going to buy a couple of newspapers and take them with. Also just to remind us of why we made the decision we did.

MissusVeeDee

Looking forward to your updates!!

Please also spoil us with (LOTS of) pictures? Haven't seen many pics posted here or on FB :(

And we're off... On the plane in our seats and having champagne ;)

And we're off... On the plane in our seats and having champagne ;)

Lol, what he said.....

MaryJane

Bon voyage!

Nelline

Happy Landings Guys!

Raquel

Got goosies! Safe travels dear friends! Xxx ;)

• Like 1

So far the journey has been great.

Except for the rude security person at OR Tambo who treated us like dirt... We had a few words of wisdom for her and her colleagues.

Sad that people who think that they are in a position of power can be so racist... :(

Other than that it was champagne and great lie flat beds :) all the way to Abu Dhabi.

Now for the next leg...

Edited by AshB

Nelline

"This too shall pass" - I've read some appalling things recently about the OR Tambo security staff being unprofessional... said recently that until this changed I would NOT be going back to SA for any kind of visit especially with my child. Having said that, my experience in the past (last time being 2012) has always been positive.

Let us know when you've landed!

So far the journey has been great.

Except for the rude security person at OR Tambo who treated us like dirt... We had a few words of wisdom for her and her colleagues.
Sad that people who think that they are in a position of power can be so racist... :(

Other than that it was champagne and great lie flat beds :) all the way to Abu Dhabi.

Now for the next leg...

Raquel

Now for the next leg...

Hmmmm.... Flat beds?!?! :) I smell first class...;) so cool guys! ;)

The best thing is that the OR Tambo episode behind you now! :hug:

• Like 1

Tracey22

good luck! You can PM me when you arrive and we can meet up

Hmmmm.... Flat beds?!?! :) I smell first class...;) so cool guys! ;)

The best thing is that the OR Tambo episode behind you now! :hug:

No no, we did it business class.....

good luck! You can PM me when you arrive and we can meet up

Thanks Tracey. We will definitely make a plan to meet up with you soon......

OK so this is our landing story.....

Left JHB and all was good.... Had to buy one more bag as an emergency because we were overweight.... Oops....

Got to Abu Dhabi and it was sweltering hot.... 44 degrees..... And that was at 7 at night. Spent about 7 hours at the airport before it was time to head off to Toronto. Flight was slightly delayed, but hey its all good, we weren't in a rush.

Today we arrived at 9:30. And boy it is a blistering hot day here (the sign across the road from the hotel said 44 degrees when we arrived and I saw another one from the airport that said 35 degrees). Anyway, Got to immigration after clearing passport control at 9:40 to complete landing procedures. Presented passports and COPR, was asked to sit and we will be called. After about 5 minutes were called and was only asked if we had any criminal convictions ever. Answered no and was asked to sign COPR document. That was it.

Collected our bags and headed off to customs to declare goods to follow. Got to customs at 9:55 and the gentleman was very very friendly and polite and engaged us on several things such as where we from, why Canada, job prospects, weather, where we will be staying etc. Very nice chat whilst he checked our documents. He stamped our goods to follow list and explained what will happen when our goods arrive and what we must do. We were done with customs at 10:15. That was it - landing done in 45 minutes.

Got to our airport transfer and they had the wrong car for all our luggage.... Eventually the right car arrived at 11:15 and we got to hotel at 12:00.

Took a shower, and headed out to lunch. After lunch we decided we weren't sleepy and decided to walk down the block to service Canada centre and do the sin number application. You can do your sin application at the airport but that office only opens at 1PM. Because the airport office was not open yet when we were there, we had to do it at another office. Arrived at services canada at 2pm and by 3:15 walked out with our sin numbers in hand. Sin numbers took all of 15 minutes, and we waited the remainder, but they were very efficient.

On the way back to hotel walked past RBC branch and decided to stop by to find out about bank accounts. Walked into branch at 3:20 and walked out by 4:30 having opened up a cheque account, CAD and USD savings accounts and credit cards for both Ash and I. Debit cards are active already.

So not a bad day in our books..... Day 1 was productive and two important items from our to do list is already done.... Tomorrow we tackle those drivers licenses and pre paid cell phones.... Update to follow......

Edited by WernerC

Sean-Tienie

You managed to clear immigration quicker than it usually takes for our baggage to arrive off the plane - well done. Welcome to Canada!

• Like 1

Heeheehee!

You managed to clear immigration quicker than it usually takes for our baggage to arrive off the plane - well done. Welcome to Canada!

Linda

Welcome! So glad you guys had good flights and a positive Landing experience!

• Like 1