Sign in to follow this  
Tracey22

Community

Tracey22

Yesterday afternoon, a fire broke out down the street from us. When we first saw it and were calling 911, we had already heard the fire trucks. They must have arrived at the fire within 2 or 3 minutes. By 10 minutes, there were 8 fire engines and 32 firefighters battling the blaze that tore down 2 houses. The firefighters were there for over 4 hours.

By the time the first house was razed to the ground, our neighbourhood had already found $2,500 to help the 2 families. They lost everything, no clothes, no cars, nothing. The community got together, and helped get them and their extended families dinner and booked hotel accommodation for the night.

later last night, firefighters were going door to door, to discuss fire safety in the home, giving us tips and preventative measures as well.

• Like 2

Claire T

Wow! That is really amazing.

It's still early days for us here and we haven't had too many one-on-one social interactions, but when we have, we have been blown away by how willing people are to help other people here.

We move into our rental accommodation on August 1. I cannot wait to start putting down some roots and starting to feel a sense of community!

Raquel

Wow Tracey! That is something spectacular that brought me to tears.

• Like 1

Helanie

Wow, now that's what a community should be like aswell as public services! Feel bad for the neighbors that lost everything though but great that they have support!!

Emergency services in Canada is tops and its great to see a community standing together in a time of need.

That's the unfortunate part with all the timber used to build homes in Canada. If a fire breaks out and they don't get to it in time, your home is gone!

Jules

Yesterday afternoon, a fire broke out down the street from us. When we first saw it and were calling 911, we had already heard the fire trucks. They must have arrived at the fire within 2 or 3 minutes. By 10 minutes, there were 8 fire engines and 32 firefighters battling the blaze that tore down 2 houses. The firefighters were there for over 4 hours.

By the time the first house was razed to the ground, our neighbourhood had already found $2,500 to help the 2 families. They lost everything, no clothes, no cars, nothing. The community got together, and helped get them and their extended families dinner and booked hotel accommodation for the night.

later last night, firefighters were going door to door, to discuss fire safety in the home, giving us tips and preventative measures as well.

I can (unfortunately) attest to the speed of the response time of emergency services. Several years ago I started a kitchen fire while cooking. I could not stop the fire and dialed 911.

Within 4 minutes we had 5 fire trucks and ambulance outside our house. Another 2 minutes and we had cop cars there too. The response speed was incredible and that saved us from having the house burnt down. They contained the fire before it spread. Fire chief told me that I was lucky I dialed 911 within the first few seconds. He said most people try too hard to stop a fire and wait way too long before calling. That extra two or three minutes can be the difference between a small fire and a total loss of house or life.

Another positive outcome was my wife banned me from the kitchen for several years so I never had to help anymore. Should've started a fire years earlier

;-)

Edited by Jules
  • Like 3

Raquel

Another positive outcome was my wife banned me from the kitchen for several years so I never had to help anymore. Should've started a fire years earlier

;-)

That's so funny Jules...

Glad you had a positive outcome from your fire story!

• Like 1

Helanie

hahahahaha ai Jules!!! Funny!! :ilikeit:

Jules

That happened about 10 years ago (shortly after we arrived in Canada). Time has a way taking away the sting of bad memories so my wife has mellowed on the topic of me cooking in the kitchen. So... It might be time for another fire

;-)

• Like 2