Sign in to follow this  
Robyn3

Alberta Drivers

Robyn3

Hi All,

I have read all the topics surrounding obtaining an Alberta Drivers License but I have honestly confused myself with the whole process and just want to check on a few things.

I arrived in Canada on vacation, and have ended up staying. Because I didn't plan to stay, I don't have an international drivers license or an RTMC letter. I should have my international drivers in the next few days (it's being posted from SA). For the RTMC letter, do I simple write to the RTMC and request my driving history?

With regards to obtaining a drivers license in Alberta, do I have to convert my SA license within 3 months of landing in order to have my SA driving history count?

After my knowledge test, am I correct in saying that I hand in my SA license and after approval (I read 2 weeks?) I will be allowed to do my road test?

I feel like the drivers is the most difficult thing I've had to adjust to in Canada. All other things have gone smoothly, except for this :blink:

I was actually driving for a few weeks on just my SA license, no international license, as I was told that was fine. Then yesterday I was told that it's illegal to drive in Alberta without an international license. So now I'm trying to wrap my head around everything.

I have been in Calgary since 17 May, so my 3 months is up on 17 August. Would I need to have done the learners test by then?

I read on the Alberta Service website that one can drive with an international license for one year? But if I did that, then my SA driving record wouldn't count as I'm over the 3 month mark?

Any advice/help would be so appreciated!!

Robyn ^_^

Robyn3

Also, how do I go about certifying documents in Alberta? I need to certify my drivers license and so I can send it home to my family for them to sort out my international license and RTMC letter.

I just read on one of the topics that the RTMC letter in Alberta is only necessary for insurance purposes and not for the actual drivers license. Is this correct?

Sorry for all the questions. I promise I am reading other topics and trying to figure things out!

Tracey22

any commissioner of oaths will do. just google for one. in Ontario, they typically charge per page certified.

Driekie

Hi there

When you pass your Class 7 Knowledge Test then you surrender your SA Driver License (with the International Driver License if you have one). You don't need the RTMC letter. It takes about 2 weeks at the most for SIU (Special Investigations) to update your file with the Registry to say what road test you will do. In the meantime they will issue you a Class 7 Learners License. Make sure that you have someone with a full Class 5 (not Class 5B) with you when you drive. In Alberta it is illegal to carry two driver licenses with you so surrender the International License.

You have 90 days to do this when you move to Alberta. You can do it before or after the 90 days.

Also take with you your documents to show your status for Canada (work permit or PR ext.) Proof of address for Alberta like a Pay Stub or Lease Agreement ext. and Passport.

Hennie vdB

Robyn, I can help with the certifying. I already made the costly mistake. Notaries are all over, but charge $20 per page and more. Go to City Hall, or whatever your equivalent is. Apparently there they do it for approx. $5 per page.

GrantM

Ok, so I am going through this right now and my experience was a little different.

Landed in June, wrote my learners in July and got it second time. When I surrendered my license the lady at the registry said I needed to hand in my RTMC letter, I didn't have it with me so she gave me back my SA license and withheld my learners until I returned. It's strange because everyone else in Calgary didn't have to. Anyway i obliged and my GDL exemption was approved within 8 days.

Will have a brush up lesson and hopefully go for my road test ASAP.

Driekie

I think they request the RTMC letter when your SA Driver License does not show enough driving experience. The SA Driver License does not show the date you first got your driver license. It only shows the date of renewal and expiry so when they convert that to Alberta driving experience then you will lose out on driving experience. You might end up with a 5GDL instead of the full 5 (or 5Advanced). For instance the date for when I got my driver license in SA will be in my ID Book and I can't surrender that to them so the RTMC letter will be the support document to show as proof. Our SA license only shows the date we got the cards, not the actual date we got our licenses.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2