Newbie immigration links

reshie108

@AshB thank you so much for all the information that you share with us. I really appreciate it, and cannot wait till we start using the to-do lists, and have to look for apartment. you guys are really such a blessing to all if us that are here in SA but preparing to move to CA soon....

• Like 3

It's my way of giving back and volunteering. I enjoy doing it and you are welcome. 

Tips on how to get your RTMC driving history letter: 

Qrios1

As I am putting together the documents to submit our application, a useful tool I came across is to merge PDF files together. (eg. when uploading academic documents don't just upload your WES certificate but also your degrees, merge the documents using the below)

http://www.pdfmerge.com/

Quick and easy, select files and press merge

• Like 3

More popular Canadian job search sites:

www.jobpostcanada.com
www.allcanadianjobs.com
www.directjobs.ca/main
www.jobsetc.gc.ca/eng/
www.working.com/national/sectors/retail.html
emsrecruiter.com/
www.jobbank.gc.ca
www.monster.ca
www.workopolis.com
www.jobsetc.gc.ca
www.jobboom.com
www.jobshark.com
www.hotjobs.ca
www.skillnet.ca
www.dice.com

How to move your money across to Canada and stop losing value of your savings:

I'm not sure why we haven't given this information here (must have just slipped through the cracks) 

For anybody that needs to do a reference letter for your EE application, here is a reference letter template provided by @AshB  https://www.dropbox.com/s/sedwftu9hbklavz/Emloyment%20Reference%20Letter%20-%20Template.docx?dl=0

PLEASE note the following: 

Your reference letter should be on a company letter head

Letter to contain details (telephone number and e-mail address at a minimum) of a person that CIC can contact to verify the contents of the letter. (I haven't heard of CIC doing this though, but rather be safe than sorry) 

If at all possible (not a requirement) have a company stamp applied to the document. 

YOUR REFERENCE LETTER SHOULD BE DETAILED AS HELL!!!!!!!!!    Use your NOC code as a guide to write your reference letter to describe your job duties, BUT don't use the NOC code wording verbatim. A general letter confirming your employment dates and titles, also known as a Certificate of Service, is insufficient for your application. (Case in point is this SACanada thread here: 

The best is to write the reference letter yourself and get your employer or past employer to sign it. Not all HR departments are willing to do this, so some creativity might be required on your part. (Note I said creativity and I'm not implying anything underhanded or illegal here). This might simply mean that instead of the HR department signing the document, that it is signed by a previous manager that you used to work for or work with, that can verify your employment. If there is no manager left that can do this (i.e. everybody left the company and is working elsewhere) a mix of a certificate of service, along with a reference letter from a former manager or co-worker in their personal capacity on a non-letterhead document should suffice, but there should be a CLEAR explanation given for this in the documentation. 

If you are/were self employed, it get a little tricky. Some members have written a letter stating that they were self employed, together with company registration documents, tax return documents and reference letters from their customers stating that they were self employed and what services was rendered to them. This seems to be proof enough for CIC to prove self employment. 

The main thing to remember is that your reference letters must be clear as to what your duties are/were. There must be no shadow of a doubt or any guessing involved by CIC when they read the documents that you have the abilities which correspond to your NOC code. 

Edited by WernerC
  • Like 2

With thank you to @Onyx who posted this in another thread - I've taken the liberty of including a link to her post here, as it is a great link with invaluable information for newbies.  :blush:. There is a complete and comprehensive link to a document checklist here, including exactly what IRCC wants to see about references, proof of funds etc. 

Thanks again Onyx! 

ChrisG

Hi guys. In terms of the goods to declare list (which we have to make two of for the border officials), my wife and I are wondering what should we include on the list? Surely they don't expect us to list every item in our bags such as clothes and shoes. I get things like jewelry and electronics.

Anyone have some advice on what they included on their lists? We don't have any goods to follow. Only the things in our bags.

Nelline
13 minutes ago, ChrisG said:

Hi guys. In terms of the goods to declare list (which we have to make two of for the border officials), my wife and I are wondering what should we include on the list? Surely they don't expect us to list every item in our bags such as clothes and shoes. I get things like jewelry and electronics.

Anyone have some advice on what they included on their lists? We don't have any goods to follow. Only the things in our bags.

No they don't expect you to list everything - "3 pairs of Victoria Secret bra's" etc ha ha!

Your goods accompanying need not be very detailed or specific (but remember to have colour photos of all the jewelry if any) and just list the general terms "clothes / shoes / photo album / books" 

• Like 3

Myusuf

Hi

What does a provincoal nomination actually mean and besides the 600points does it have any other benefits

Edited by Myusuf
Spelling

Myusuf

Thanks for the link

MaryJane

I hope you guys don't mind but I just plugged this thread on FB. So I suppose guys, I need your help to get these posts current :lol:

Here's one that I missed, re: opening a Canadian bank account while still in SA:

• Like 2

Qrios1

Maybe a bump for new people. I dont have a link just tips and tricks

I have been in Toronto for a short while (two weeks) I have some tips and tricks based on my observations albeit limited.

Public Library

A good resource to make use of when doing undergoing job searches would be the public library. I have spent a bit of time in the local community I am staying. They offer free wi-fi and its fast. If you have your own laptop, just log on and go. There are also some computers and what I like it the express terminals (15 minute limit) Also if you need to print documents its a good place to do so at 15c a document. Just copy it over on to a flash drive and print. I made the mistake of printing a document at "Staples. one measly document cost me $5 (internet access and printing the doc) 

Getting around

The TTC monthly pass is pretty neat. You can travel with any mode of transport in the TTC stable (Subway, trains, streetcars) as often as you like. Just flash your monthly pass and thats it. Cost is $146 for the pass so guard it like its a credit card. I needed to go some areas outside of downtown and I used the go service. You can buy a Presto card, but I was not making frequent trips so its $6 I didnt have to pay just about yet. 

Tim Hortons

Also has free wifi and ok coffee. Its filter coffee not like starbucks but a medium DD (Double Double) is $1.75 (even in SA terms thats decent. Woolies Capacino is now at least R33 a cup for a regular. I have frequented TH daily, to get my coffee fix and to get the free wifi. Where I stay I dont have Wifi. Its also an excuse to get out of the apartment which can get pretty lonely I must admit. 

Plugs

For your cellphone, just get a CA one with square prongs. Dont buy this at the airport, I paid 3x the amount for an inferior one that I got at the "Source" (think Hi-fi Corp in SA) 

Cell phones

I had taken out a Chatr month to month deal. Canada wide national and US wide inclusive as well as 6 gigs of Data pm for $50. No contracts no strings. This should tide you over until one can decide which of the gazilion providers to go with. ok its not a gazilion but its a lot. 

Shops

Ladies, you will love it. So many options so many stores, sales, fashion, etc. I haven't even scratched the surface. So far I enjoy Walmart good value prices are reasonable BUT there are so many options here. There is a Sobeys mini around the corner from where I stay so I have been going there as well.They have ready made dinners and its ok. reasonably priced too I would say. 

Job search

I signed up with the bigger ones focusing on my profession (CA/CPA). I landed at a time where its summer and families are on vacation. I didnt let that phase me and just pressed forward. Some were better than others. I was quite surprised where some of them you dont wait for the recruiter to send you job specs (like in SA) alot of them you have to go on their websites, see a position you think you would be a good fit for and apply by either mailing your agent, or directly to the person working with the client. Whenever I had an interview, I would ensure that I arrive super early and wait in a coffee shop or a mall close by. I had a coffee (yep you guessed it at TH) and would just relax or get that last bit of company research in. 

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. 

• Like 11

Odijonk

@Qrios1 @MaryJane @Ribsy.. is it possible to maybe get an update To do list for us that still need to go through the process... it is nearly end of 2017 and i am sure that things have become easier and it has changed...

On 06/08/2015 at 6:59 PM, Guest said:
  • Book flights and accommodation for landing
  • Sell house / cancel rental agreement
  • Obtain reference letter from your landlord
  • Pack a copy of your property lease / rental agreement
  • Cancel bond (notice should be given to the bank of sale of house 3 months in advance)
  • Collect all refunds from councils / deposits
  • Cancel internet / Telephone / mobile phone
  • Get RSA mobile phone pre-paid roaming SIM for 1st week in Canada
  • Appoint power of attorney for banking etc.
  • Open an International Bank Account from SA eg. HSBC - makes it easier to transfer money to HSBC Canada
  • Arrange for forex (how much are you taking with you? and how much is coming afterwards?)
  • De-register company / tax
  • Obtain Credit History from TransUnion and Experian (useful for renting / financing things and proving you are credit worthy)
  • Cancel PO Box / Redirect mail / Update address details and convert to email for correspondence
  • Cancel SABC licence
  • Cancel insurance policies - if you are not cancelling life insurance just yet (I know you mentioned you are but just so if you are not), get a letter from insurer that they will pay out should something happen to you in Canada
  • Get medical records from doctor
  • Go for checkups (medical, dental), get prescription meds for a couple of months (keep copy of prescription)
  • Give notice of cancellation of debit orders
  • Get RTMC / UK / US / Aus / NZ letters for driving licence (and driving history for all countries you have lived in in the recent years)
  • Get International Driver's licence (if you need it or deem it necessary)
  • Sell odds and ends
  • Draft inventory of goods to follow for border control (inlcluding funds to follow)
  • Get proof of funds docs ready
  • Prep car and documents for new owner
  • Get a "history of insurance" for car insurance and home insurance from Insurance company
  • Book removals / relocation companies
  • Make copies of important documents and get them certified / notarised
  • Reformat CV
  • Obtain employment reference letters (template is located here as an example)
  • Pack
  • Order wife / hubby / partner around like a drill sergeant :hug:
  • Spend a few weeks with parents.
  • Fly with a smile!

• Like 1

MaryJane

Hi @Odijonk, I believe that the above to-do list is universal in nature. It's a To-Do After you've received your visas and...and there are a million things to remember to do before leaving SA.

This list is just to start off. You can add and remove as applicable.

Odijonk
On 06/08/2015 at 6:59 PM, Guest said:
  • Book flights and accommodation for landing
  • Sell house / cancel rental agreement
  • Obtain reference letter from your landlord
  • Pack a copy of your property lease / rental agreement
  • Cancel bond (notice should be given to the bank of sale of house 3 months in advance)
  • Collect all refunds from councils / deposits
  • Cancel internet / Telephone / mobile phone
  • Get RSA mobile phone pre-paid roaming SIM for 1st week in Canada
  • Appoint power of attorney for banking etc.
  • Open an International Bank Account from SA eg. HSBC - makes it easier to transfer money to HSBC Canada
  • Arrange for forex (how much are you taking with you? and how much is coming afterwards?)
  • De-register company / tax
  • Obtain Credit History from TransUnion and Experian (useful for renting / financing things and proving you are credit worthy)
  • Cancel PO Box / Redirect mail / Update address details and convert to email for correspondence
  • Cancel SABC licence
  • Cancel insurance policies - if you are not cancelling life insurance just yet (I know you mentioned you are but just so if you are not), get a letter from insurer that they will pay out should something happen to you in Canada
  • Get medical records from doctor
  • Go for checkups (medical, dental), get prescription meds for a couple of months (keep copy of prescription)
  • Give notice of cancellation of debit orders
  • Get RTMC / UK / US / Aus / NZ letters for driving licence (and driving history for all countries you have lived in in the recent years)
  • Get International Driver's licence (if you need it or deem it necessary)
  • Sell odds and ends
  • Draft inventory of goods to follow for border control (inlcluding funds to follow)
  • Get proof of funds docs ready
  • Prep car and documents for new owner
  • Get a "history of insurance" for car insurance and home insurance from Insurance company
  • Book removals / relocation companies
  • Make copies of important documents and get them certified / notarised
  • Reformat CV
  • Obtain employment reference letters (template is located here as an example)
  • Pack
  • Order wife / hubby / partner around like a drill sergeant :hug:
  • Spend a few weeks with parents.
  • Fly with a smile!

Jip you are correct .. tnx a mil

• Thanks 1

Sparky6

Plan what your going to pack! We only took a bag each and a carry on each. I started packing at least a week before and we repacked a few times. Plan your security measures while your traveling like a RFID wallet carried under your clothes for your passport,currency, ppr papers etc. pack a change of clothes in your carry on, trust me, you will use it and you will thank me for it. Keep important medicines with you in your carry on and get motion sickness tablets, I never got motion sickness before but I needed it. Buy a travel pillow! Go everywhere you like before you leave, you will need to just so you don’t stress out. Go to all your favorite restaurants like Spur! When you pack your carry on make sure your laptop, liquids and medicine is easily accessible, you need to remove it all the time, wear comfy, easily removable shoes and loose fitting clothes that you can sleep in. 

• Like 1

Ribsy
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:06 AM, Odijonk said:

@Qrios1 @MaryJane @Ribsy.. is it possible to maybe get an update To do list for us that still need to go through the process... it is nearly end of 2017 and i am sure that things have become easier and it has changed...

The list is quite exhaustive and comprehensive.  My suggestion is to try and get the majority of list completed prior to departure.  Some documents are almost impossible to get once already in Canada i.e. RMTC letter regarding driving experience.  Decide how you are going to finance your first few days after arrival.  Are you cancelling your SA credit card prior to departure in which case you'll need more liquid cash? You can open a bank account almost immediately on landing but credit card may take a week and the initial credit limit will be quite low. 

I think the one thing that may be forgotten during these busy times is to be present and enjoy those last few moments with family, friends in your favourite locations.  You'll appreciate those moments a bit more when you're across the pond...

And remember to breathe...

• Like 2

MJames

Wow, such a great source of info! I am sure some things have changed slightly but a really great place to start and  double check paperwork and processes.

Any updated info about investments and pension transfers? I have researched and found that most of the big Investment companies can assist with this. There are retirement/investment assist companies (FinGlobal and Expatri8)  who seem to be quite cost effective and a decent track record. Getting my ducks in row is a full time job! 

Thank you all.