Newbie immigration links

Yip, sideline is correct about those fees..... Great advice sideline.

the_other_mike

Hey Werner

Thanks for the awesome list of tips! All I need now is a visa...

On the funds options when we came back to SA from the UK we just used our UK based credit cards to get setup in SA.

Is this not a viable option for the SA > Canada transition? Use SA credit cards that have the cash from the house & car sales etc?

I guess you would need to take some $$$ with you but unless you have meelions will this not work?

Hi the_other_mike,

You can use your SA credit / debit cards while you are in Canada however; this will have to be authorised by the bank for a maximum of 6 months. The process of opening up a bank account in Canada is pretty simple especially if you are a newly landed immigrant.

Take a look at this link: http://www.rbc.com/canada/banking-packages/index.html as an example of what I mentioned above.

Hey Werner

Thanks for the awesome list of tips! All I need now is a visa...

On the funds options when we came back to SA from the UK we just used our UK based credit cards to get setup in SA.

Is this not a viable option for the SA > Canada transition? Use SA credit cards that have the cash from the house & car sales etc?

I guess you would need to take some $$$ with you but unless you have meelions will this not work?

Edited by AshB

Hennie vdB

Other Mike, the five large banks here (RBC, CIBC, BMO, ehm-ehm-ehm.. no4, no 5 and even HSBC) all have special accounts for new arrivals, so you will be sorted within a few days (not sure if this includes credit cards, but at least you can start with a debit card.) BUT, bring those SA credit cards with you - you can not rent a car at the airport without a valid credit card, regardless how much cash you offer them (up to a point, I suppose.) A few guys have had that shock already.

Agreed regarding South African Credit cards.

If you sign up with RBC you can opt for a credit card as well without a hassle or with any money in your chequeing account.

Other Mike, the five large banks here (RBC, CIBC, BMO, ehm-ehm-ehm.. no4, no 5 and even HSBC) all have special accounts for new arrivals, so you will be sorted within a few days (not sure if this includes credit cards, but at least you can start with a debit card.) BUT, bring those SA credit cards with you - you can not rent a car at the airport without a valid credit card, regardless how much cash you offer them (up to a point, I suppose.) A few guys have had that shock already.

Other Mike, we initially transferred our funds to Standard Bank Isle of Man UK until we were settled in Canada. Setting up the accounts through our personal banker before we left South Africa was a seamless process. We were issued with credit card and visa debit card. This worked out great for us.

As Hennie mentioned, all the major banks in Canada are a pleasure to deal, even for new arrival to Canada. All the best!

Druce

Thank you so much for this informtion, answered a lot of questions I had!

Raquel

bump - just for all the new comers.

Look at you Wern! ;) established forumites! Lol

Edited by Raquel
  • Like 1

More like soon to be totally settled forumites :P

Look at you Wern! ;) established forumites! Lol

the_other_mike

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Working on that job offer to get the points up now!

Jobizzle

Thought I'd share my PCC experience here as a tip for those looking to get theirs done. After I had a quote from docassist of over R1000, I decided to do it myself and found it to be really easy. Went to the local police station and had the fingerprint form done, paid the R96 fee online and took proof with as well as a copy of our ID. Took the form myself to the police records centre in pretoria. No queues, quick and easy, dropped the form of and got a slip. Was SMS'd exactly 30 days later that PCC was issued. Drove through to Pretoria and collected on a Sunday afternoon (the records centre is open 24 hours, 7 days a week). For those in Gauteng, I would recommend doing it like this, no long waits, no courier fees, no waiting on the police station to do all the running around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Raquel

Drove through to Pretoria and collected on a Sunday afternoon (the records centre is open 24 hours, 7 days a week).

Wow I didn't know this! guess I just assumed normal working hours... :blush:

Could have saved myself R400 for collection and delivery...

What does that teach me - stop making assumptions! :mellow:

• Like 1

M-N

We also did a to ourselves but through our own. Police station and paid R56 a pop. We got two sms's. One to say out PCC was done (by Pretoria ) and one sent by the PCC officer at the station saying we can come collect. Second time around I ended up picking mine up from PTA myself as the PCC officer couldn't pick the haul up on his usual days. If you're in Joburg or PTA area I definitely recommend doing it yourself. However, if you're far out of town DocAssist is best to use.

I updated the To Do list to this thread for those tasks that need to be done before leaving...

1. Book flights and accommodation for landing
  2. Sell house / cancel rental agreement
  3. Obtain reference letter from your landlord
  4. Pack a copy of your property lease / rental agreement
  5. Cancel bond (notice should be given to the bank of sale of house 3 months in advance)
  6. Collect all refunds from councils / deposits
  7. Cancel internet / Telephone / mobile phone
  8. Get RSA mobile phone pre-paid roaming SIM for 1st week in Canada
  9. Appoint power of attorney for banking etc.
  10. Open an International Bank Account from SA eg. HSBC - makes it easier to transfer money to HSBC Canada
  11. Arrange for forex (how much are you taking with you? and how much is coming afterwards?)
  12. De-register company / tax
  13. Obtain Credit History from TransUnion and Experian (useful for renting / financing things and proving you are credit worthy)
  14. Cancel PO Box / Redirect mail / Update address details and convert to email for correspondence
  15. Cancel SABC licence
  16. Cancel insurance policies - if you are not cancelling life insurance just yet (I know you mentioned you are but just so if you are not), get a letter from insurer that they will pay out should something happen to you in Canada
  17. Get medical records from doctor
  18. Go for checkups (medical, dental), get prescription meds for a couple of months (keep copy of prescription)
  19. Give notice of cancellation of debit orders
  20. Get RTMC / UK / US / Aus / NZ letters for driving licence (and driving history for all countries you have lived in in the recent years)
  21. Get International Driver's licence (if you need it or deem it necessary)
  22. Sell odds and ends
  23. Draft inventory of goods to follow for border control (inlcluding funds to follow)
  24. Get proof of funds docs ready
  25. Prep car and documents for new owner
  26. Get a "history of insurance" for car insurance and home insurance from Insurance company
  27. Book removals / relocation companies
  28. Make copies of important documents and get them certified / notarised
  29. Reformat CV
  30. Obtain employment reference letters (template is located here as an example)
  31. Pack
  32. Order wife / hubby / partner around like a drill sergeant :hug:
  33. Spend a few weeks with parents.
  34. Fly with a smile!

27. Order wife / hubby / partner around like a drill sergeant :)

Sure I heard point no 27 somewhere..... Great resource, thanks for sharing AshB!

For people with kids of school or university going age, perhaps you wish to share what is required for school etc, to enable us to make the list more comprehensive.

MaryJane

For people with kids of school or university going age, perhaps you wish to share what is required for school etc, to enable us to make the list more comprehensive.

* Report cards

* If enrolling child into a Catholic school, baptismal certificate of child, baptismal certificate of parent

* Immunisation records

* If child is living with somebody other than his/her parents, proof of custody is sometimes requested

lvdwalt

Thanks for sharing AshB

Miskalo

Updated with the latest inputs from the forum...

Thanks AshB....this is really very helpful. Please what is SIN in the Canada to do list and what does the power of attorney for banking entail?

MaryJane

SIN = social insurance number

"The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits."

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/sin//index.shtml

MaryJane

Power of attorney is when you and a person you trust (family or friend) go into the bank together and sign a document giving the trusted person access to your bank account and doing banking on your behalf.

Be sure to ask the bank exactly what the trusted person can do on your behalf when you sign the power of attorney over. I think there might be different kinds....

• Like 1

Miskalo

Thank you very much MaryJane.........if i may ask how long does it take to obtain the PR card after landing in Canada?