Sign in to follow this  

South Africa's long walk to decline

Angii

The worst is that he'll probably be the president for a long time. The idiots voting seem to worship the ground he walks on.

The worst is that he'll probably be the president for a long time. The idiots voting seem to worship the ground he walks on.

Angii, Zuma is in his second and last term as the President. For now South Africa's constitution will ensure that he can only complete two terms as President. Unfortunate part is that the ANC only need a very small majority to change the constitution and put in a long term President. In the interim the damage to South Africa's people and it's image has been done by Zumanami! Only hope for SA is that the DA build a strong enough opposition to challenge the ANC on future important decisions that affect South Africa.

Angii

I seriously hope they DON'T change the constitution. I don't see that ruled out.

Johno

Some ANC seniors and judges starting speaking up the last few against Zuma, cracks starting to show with the unions also. Let's hope it is so and lasting.

• Like 1

Sybi

Some ANC seniors and judges starting speaking up the last few against Zuma, cracks starting to show with the unions also. Let's hope it is so and lasting.

Yeah me too..

Although sometimes it seems like the news take on a "flavour for the week stance" and changes from one thing to the next and it seems like its not going to stop.

On the top of my head - It was the FIFA scandal, Zuma and al Bashir story; load shedding and the Eskom dilemma , then it was Greece and how it impacted the SA economy; the transport strikes and violence; water shedding; Nkandla; ANC and their mismanagement; and and and.....

Its almost as if once one topic is "exhausted" another soon comes into play and the S%it just piles on!!

People have become so complacent with this, and they almost expect another "flavour" - they have no choice but to live with it and then move on to the next week - where again something else comes up; whilst in the back end the wheels are turning and SA's reputation is tarnishing more day by day...#sad

Edited by Sybi

Cathy K

In South Africa a new law is in the works that is touted to protect South Africans from leery sexual content in home-made videos and postings on internet. What is actually means is that the ANC government will be able to block anything on internet that criticize them.

From a recent article:

Only once in a while does an Internet censorship law or regulation come along that is so audacious in its scope, so misguided in its premises, and so poorly thought out in its execution, that you have to check your calendar to make sure April 1 hasn't come around again. The Draft Online Regulation Policy recently issued by the Film and Publication Board (FPB) of South Africa is such a regulation. It's as if the fabled prude Mrs. Grundy had been brought forward from the 18thcentury, stumbled across hustler.com on her first excursion online, and promptly cobbled together a law to shut the Internet down. Yes, it's that bad.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/05/africas-worst-new-internet-censorship-law-could-be-coming-south-africa

https://www.change.org/p/film-and-publications-board-stop-the-internet-censorship

• Like 1

OutOfSa

Well all I can say is the best of luck to those knuckle heads,

I doubt there has been (or will be) a single successful internet censorship campaign...

The only way I can see this happening, is if the country isolated its internet from the rest of the world, took over the local domain servers and filtered everything from there. In addition to that, they'd have to filter all incoming and out going traffic & block all encrypted information as they would be unable to verify its content.

Even then, there are other ways to bring internet content uncensored into a country.

Nope, it's just too easy to hide information in a sea of garbage - and then reassemble it elsewhere.

Indeed, SA could probably bankrupt its self 10x over going down that road and still fail :clown:

I could be wrong here, It has happened once or twice before... :whistling:

ENGinCT

China does it, quite comprehensively, as does Iran and N Korea.