Sign in to follow this  

Al-Bashir leaves SA despite ICC arrest warrant and UN calling for SA t

OK, so I don't know who of you have been following the story about Al-Bashir and the ICC arrest warrant.

I think it is extremely worrying when the SA government ignores a high court ruling forbidding the government to allow him leave the country. But more worrying is that SA have failed to carry out its' responsibility under the international criminal court (ICC) and the Rome Statute, to which South Africa is a signatory.

Now we all know politicians and their regard for the law. We have seen this many times with Zuma, Malema et al. However for me this is a new low. They have shown complete disregard for their international responsibility and let an international criminal (sought for war crimes) sought by the Hauge, simply walk out of SA!!!!

I smell a little sh1t storm brewing over this. Not only with the ICC, but also with the UN. This is because Ban Ki Moon requested SA to enforce the arrest warrant.

The lawyer for the state argues that Al-Bashir had diplomatic immunity, however it is my understanding that diplomatic immunity only applies to diplomatic staff and NOT to heads of state.

Wonder how our colorful government is going to get themselves out of this one.....

Edited by WernerC

Wonder how our colorful government is going to get themselves out of this one.....

Its easy Werner, Denial!! Denial_zpso1khbkny.png

Yes yes Lawrence - denial is not just a river in Africa.....

Lanieb

WernerC at least you can see the light in the tunnel..... Soon you are leaving... Personally I did not expect them to arrest him. They do whatever they want and the only time they complain is when they don't receive money to stuff their pockets full. Wonder what's the deal between him and Zuma then ?? Another wife ??

• Like 1

WernerC at least you can see the light in the tunnel..... Soon you are leaving... Personally I did not expect them to arrest him. They do whatever they want and the only time they complain is when they don't receive money to stuff their pockets full. Wonder what's the deal between him and Zuma then ?? Another wife ??

I also just read that the AU chair is, wait for it...... None other than his excellency, President of Zimbabwe, Robert Mugabe.

Makes one think doesn't it.

Raquel

Wow Werner, this is really concerning... These things are extremely worrying, however I always say that it's the things we don't know about that should really concern us! :( sad... And cannot wait to leave it all behind!

• Like 1

Wow Werner, this is really concerning... These things are extremely worrying, however I always say that it's the things we don't know about that should really concern us! :( sad... And cannot wait to leave it all behind!

Jip! Was just thinking again as I was driving home - in the last week South Africa have made headlines for the US$10M bribe to FIFA and today - for Al-Bashir's exit out the country!!

Sad sad state of affairs IMO

Gavin Mac

Jip! Was just thinking again as I was driving home - in the last week South Africa have made headlines for the US$10M bribe to FIFA and today - for Al-Bashir's exit out the country!!

Sad sad state of affairs IMO

This is just the stuff we know of...................

• Like 1

MaryJane

WernerC

I was gonna say that SA news have always brimmed of the bad and the shocking. I think you will find that, now more than ever, your sense of disdain is heightened seeing that you will be leaving soon.

I remembered my story of the day then was the e-tolls. I bemoaned to anyone who would listen. I even told Outsurance that I am cancelling my insurance because I am selling my car because I can't afford e-tolls. Of course, I was long gone before the thing was ever implemented but I chuckle now to recollect what crazy thoughts I had then.

Anyway, have fun on your last few days there. Might be an offbeat idea to buy a newspaper on the day that you leave SA, a reminder of what you left behind perhaps? I never did this, but then again, news24 never lets me forget.

Sorry to have gone all :offtopic: on this. Let's carry on with Al-Bashier....

• Like 1

Sorry to have gone all :offtopic: on this. Let's carry on with Al-Bashier....

No need to be sorry MJ, Al-Bashier has already left the country. Next chapter of South African embarrassment waiting to be written. Sad, extremely sad!

A great TV series to watch to get an idea on how all of this goes down behind the scenes is Madam Secretary - google it!

A great TV series to watch to get an idea on how all of this goes down behind the scenes is Madam Secretary - google it!

Yes. Love that drama series.

I Also love that other comedy, erm. Can't remember the name now. It's on YouTube. It plays a feed from this room in Cape Town in South Africa, and normally there is lots of shouting.... They also use the word honorable members lots....

Oh yeah, that's the name..... SOUTH AFRICAN PARLIMENT.....

Raquel

I Also love that other comedy, erm. Can't remember the name now. It's on YouTube. It plays a feed from this room in Cape Town in South Africa, and normally there is lots of shouting.... They also use the word honorable members lots....

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D:D:D

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D:D:D

Oh yes best comedy reality show ever! Watched quite a few episodes lately.

A funny remix...

And here is the My Africa channel - no holds barred!

https://www.youtube.com/user/MugabeMalema

Raquel

Valdimir Propp (google him) was a Soviet folklorist and scholar who analyzed the basic plot components of Russian folk tales to identify their simplest irreducible narrative elements.

He identified 7 basic characters for any narrative:

1. The villain — struggles against the hero.
  2. The dispatcher — character who makes the lack known and sends the hero off.
  3. The (magical) helper — helps the hero in their quest.
  4. The princess or prize and her father — the hero deserves her throughout the story but is unable to marry her because of an unfair evil, usually because of the villain. The hero's journey is often ended when he marries the princess, thereby beating the villain.
  5. The donor — prepares the hero or gives the hero some magical object.
  6. The hero or victim/seeker hero — reacts to the donor, weds the princess.
  7. The false hero — takes credit for the hero’s actions or tries to marry the princess.[6]

So because it's friday, let's have some fun! From 1 to 7, which person (South African politician) would you cast in the 7 roles above?