Inventory of goods to follow on landing

Hi Everyone!

I know that you are required to provide an inventory of goods to follow on landing to avoid having to pay taxes later on. I remember somebody posting a sample of their inventory and the forms that they used / filled out but for the life of me can't seem to find it...

Anyone else have softcopies / samples they can share?

Thanks!

Ash

MaryJane

I had an Excel spreadsheet that had the following headers:

Box #

Qty

Detail/Description

ISBN/Serial/Barcode (if required, if any)

Rand value

CAD conversion

Box weight

Box length

Box width

Box height

Descriptions were simple and plain, like women's clothing, men's clothing, children's toys, photo albums, etc. except where I noted serial #s or barcodes, then a fuller description was given, like SLR Camera model # XXXX, Toshiba laptop serial # XXXX, and so on and so forth.

This list was attached to a form - http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

I just wrote on the form "see attached list".

• Like 5

milo23

Thanks. Busy with this too.

Quick question. I have made an inventory of everything but we are leaving it all at my parent's house. When we are ready to bring it over,( i.e. have found somewhere to live and have the time/car/money to drive from Saskatchewan to Calgary or Edmonton to fetch it), we will have it packed by EXECU-MOVE and air freighted. For this reason, my inventory is merely a list of everything and is not box specific as I am sure the movers will repack my boxes ( bit of a rush job). :oops:

Does anyone think this will be a problem?

Are ISBN numbers really necessary?? I have 20 recipe books and about 40 kids books. I'm was just going to say Recipe books x20, Value $xyz.

Do i need to put the DOG on Goods to follow too? :whistling:

On the Goods Accompanying - is that just laptops, external hard drive, camera etc or do you have to include value of clothes and toys and other children's Cr@p that one tends to have to travel with??

Thank you all

Hope I haven't asked too many silly questions :whistling:

MaryJane

For this reason, my inventory is merely a list of everything and is not box specific as I am sure the movers will repack my boxes ( bit of a rush job). :oops:

Does anyone think this will be a problem?

No.

Are ISBN numbers really necessary?? I have 20 recipe books and about 40 kids books. I'm was just going to say Recipe books x20, Value $xyz.

No.

On the Goods Accompanying - is that just laptops, external hard drive, camera etc or do you have to include value of clothes and toys and other children's Cr@p that one tends to have to travel with??

I put values on anything. But then again, I am an accountant, so nothing says it like a figure to me. :lol:

Happy packing!

• Like 4

Braam & Sanelle Cronje

You guys can also have a look at U-Bag. I did a online estimation on cost to ship with them and the price was really cheap. I know here is others that have used them with good results. On the web site they have a self service quote or estimation part. What I did pick up was that the price difference between a 150Kg total weight and a 300Kg was not that major.

I know they also have the option that you must clear it yourself at customs in Canada or you drop off with them in SA and they do clearance and all in Canada and think they also have the option that you can have it delivered at your address.

I think on electronics ISBN/ serial # and so on you must have on the docs.

Think on the books you can just state box # with quantity of books and state Books, don't think you have to be that specific in stating if kids or recipe books.

The dog I'm not sure, but do know you have to have proof of all the shots your dog had. And must be from a vet.

If I can recall u bag can have your things that side in a couple of days, something like 5 to 10 days.

Hope this helps.

milo23

@Braam & Sanelle - Execu move's quote is WAY cheaper than ubag (and a couple other companies). EM pack all our stuff together in one crate not separately so less chance of losing stuff.

Ubag won't fly to Saskatoon, closest international airport to us. EM has quoted us to Calgary (6 hour drive) and Edmonton (4 hour drive) and seeing as though we have to clear customs ourselves a little road trip is not such a bad thing. Just remember that an agent CANNOT clear customs for you in Canada whether they have your documents or not. YOU have to do it yourself.

@MJ, thanks, star answer as always

Tracey22

i do not know what happened with us, but Crown cleared our customs for our container, and all we had to do was be at home to accept the goods.

i do not know what happened with us, but Crown cleared our customs for our container, and all we had to do was be at home to accept the goods.

You were fortunate Tracey, we had to clear our container through customs. We were also charged additional storage charges, they forgot to notify us that our container is ready for clearance and delivery. You cannot complain either, for every day you delay is an additional days storage charge.

Druce

We are shipping over 12 boxes, 8 paintings, a wingback chair and 3 decorative pieces using AGS Frasers, they were cheaper than Ubagit, Crown, Excess Luggage and ExecuMove.

I have made a complete "list of goods to follow" but I would also like to know about the list of "goods accompanying list" , is this a list of our hand luggage and suitcases on the flight? I was not aware that we need a list of these items as well?

• Like 1

JeffH
14 hours ago, Druce said:

We are shipping over 12 boxes, 8 paintings, a wingback chair and 3 decorative pieces using AGS Frasers, they were cheaper than Ubagit, Crown, Excess Luggage and ExecuMove.

I have made a complete "list of goods to follow" but I would also like to know about the list of "goods accompanying list" , is this a list of our hand luggage and suitcases on the flight? I was not aware that we need a list of these items as well?

Not needed, one of those "keep as backup" documents. They won't ask for it. They barely even look at the goods to follow list - both at landing and when you go clear customs later. It's a lot easier than you think but prepare for the worst of course. 

• Like 2

Druce

Thank you for the answer @gripen

• Like 1

Jester

I have a query/concern regarding the Goods to Follow list, and pets...

Our cats will be joining us a bit later once we have settled and found a place to rent etc. So now my question is, Should I include our two cats and their descriptions on our goods to follow list?

I know in SA pets are considered property so from that perspective it makes sense to me to include them, but I'm not sure on how Canada see's it?

Nelline

Better include them on your goods to follow list because if you were to ever import an animal into Canada you'd pay duties.

• Like 1

Jester
32 minutes ago, Nelline said:

Better include them on your goods to follow list because if you were to ever import an animal into Canada you'd pay duties.

Great thank you I will do so then :)

Tracey22

My mom just went through the goods to follow list experience with CBSA.

Th CBSA told her that they wanted the description of goods to be such that if they opened up her bag/box, they would be able to identify the goods as hers, and not some other generic person's.

So for example she had to say 6 pairs of blue denims, 3 pairs of ladies shoes (2 inch heels, closed toes) She did not have to go so far as colour though.

The CBSA wanted photos of everything considered high value or precious e.g. she had Natsuke statues - each had to be described with a photo.  The photo requirement included jewelry, watches, and other antique items.

When she landed in July, the CBSA agent went through her goods to follow list, and showed her what needed to be fixed and what was ok.  She was able to improve her list, and bring it back to the airport a few weeks later.  They then accepted the list and stamped it.  Each photo and copy of photo was stamped with the goods to follow list.

• Like 1

Qrios1

Our landing trip is coming up shortly. I am a "planner" type of person and would like to get some info on the infamous goods to follow list. I trawled the other posts on this topic and decided not start a new one. I gather one needs two lists (Goods accompanying and Goods to follow). Would these lists be on two separate forms? The version on the CBSA website is the latest one I used. I have used these forms as a cover/summary sheet and only put the consolidated values in CAD on there. On the detailed excel sheet I go into more detail 

1) Goods accompanying - Am I correct in stating that would be the items we bring on the flight (including check in baggage and hand luggage) ?

2) What about cellphones, camera, hard drive, kids' tablets, etc. I am bringing with on our landing/PR activation trip? I am not too concerned with this one as someone (i think @gripen) mentioned they dont even look at this. 

3) For work I use a laptop, should I bring this along on this trip or is that too much responsibility? That cant go on the list as its not mine anyways would they have an issue with this?

4) Goods to follow list - Should we insist that CBSA stamp this as I gathered from some other people's experiences that they are not that strict on wanting to stamp it. 

5) Based on @Tracey22's moms experience does it really have to be that specific? As we are going back to SA and coming over again later, I have no idea exactly what we are chucking out and what we are keeping. Based on the list I drew up on excel (accountants love excel) I already have like 41 boxes. Yikes. I kept it general like women's clothing x 4 boxes, Kids Clothes X 4 boxes various dresses, shirts, pants, t-shirts, sweaters, jeans, etc. 

6) For the jewelry - I have made a detailed tab together with colour photo printouts - I think this is good to go but couldnt find some of my wife's watches. Should I exclude it off the list?

7) I am planning to also bring some older phones (iphone and samsung before our upgrades) they are still decent - does that all need to go on the list. 

8) What about documents like certificates, papers, vaccination cards, photos,  that have no value - I have included on the goods to follow list but not sure if I should. 

Thanks folks. 

• Like 1

MaryJane

Hi @Qrios1, my experience was that I had one list for everything. And when I say one list, it was a couple of pages, where I listed - these items on person: blah, blah, blah (mostly gadgets with serial nos.) And then I had the boxes - Box 1, blah, blah, blah, weighing so many kilos, cost of so much. Box 2, blah, blah, blah, weighing so many kilos, cost of so much, on and on and on.

I also did it on excel.

The CBSA barely looked at the list when we landed. But I am glad that they stamped it because when I went  and collected (when the boxes eventually arrived), the officer checked for the stamp.

For the certificates and papers and documents, I just had them on files and never listed them on the list

Anyway, that was my experience.

See you on this side!

Qrios1

Thanks so much @MaryJane I think I am just over analyzing quite a straightforward step. I am comfortable with what I have and if there are any issues it sounds like one has an opportunity to change it and resubmit at a later stage.

Merida

@Qrios1, you might find this helpful regarding what they refer to as 'settler's effects': http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

This memorandum outlines and explains the conditions under which a settler may import goods into Canada for personal or household use without the payment of duties....

Goods imported by a settler for the settler's household or personal use, if actually owned, possessed and used abroad by the settler prior to the settler's arrival in Canada, and accompanying the settler at the time of the settler's arrival in Canada.

For the purpose of this tariff item:

(a) "goods" may include:

• (i) either wine not exceeding 1.5 litres or any alcoholic beverages not exceeding 1.14 litres, and
  • (ii) tobacco not exceeding fifty cigars, two hundred cigarettes, two hundred tobacco sticks and two hundred grams of manufactured tobacco;

(b) "goods" does not include imported goods that are sold or otherwise disposed of within twelve months after importation; and

(c) if goods (other than alcoholic beverages, cigars, cigarettes, tobacco sticks and manufactured tobacco) are not accompanying the settler at the time of the settler's arrival in Canada, they may be classified under this tariff item when imported at a later time if they are reported by the settler at the time of the settler's arrival in Canada.

I noticed that the amount of alcohol and tobacco products that are allowed as settler's effects are limited to a small amount.  I recall reading some forumites mentioning placing a significant amount of alcohol in their container(s).  Either they were fortunate to encounter custom's officer(s) who just waved them through or they had to pay duties on the alcohol that exceeded the amount allowed.

Edited by Merida
  • Like 1

Merida

If you read down the memorandum as far as the Prohibited Consumer Products you will see that baby walkers may not be imported into Canada, i.e.:

babywalker.jpg

Many homes in Canada have stairs, e.g. to the basement, and many babies have been injured falling down the stairs while in a baby walker.  Therefore they are banned in Canada.  You cannot buy them here, neither are you allowed to import them from another country.  If you already have a baby walker you will need to get rid of it before coming to Canada. 

Fines up to $100,000 for owning/selling baby walkers: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fines-of-up-to-100k-for-owning-selling-baby-walkers-1.499954

Edited by Merida

Riette Nel
On 6/8/2015 at 1:06 PM, MaryJane said:

I had an Excel spreadsheet that had the following headers:

Box #

Qty

Detail/Description

ISBN/Serial/Barcode (if required, if any)

Rand value

CAD conversion

Box weight

Box length

Box width

Box height

Descriptions were simple and plain, like women's clothing, men's clothing, children's toys, photo albums, etc. except where I noted serial #s or barcodes, then a fuller description was given, like SLR Camera model # XXXX, Toshiba laptop serial # XXXX, and so on and so forth.

This list was attached to a form - http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

I just wrote on the form "see attached list".

Hi MJ,

This link does not work anymore, any idea for the new link or where to find it?  

I also understand that there has to be 2 copies of the list of all goods you intend to bring into Ca as part of your personal effects.  The list should indicate value, make, model and serial nr of all the goods.  This list needs to be divided into 2 sections where the 1st is the stuff you are taking with you and the 2nd the goods to follow.  Now the stuff you are taking with you, is it the stuff in your luggage on the plane you check in?  Im not referring to hand luggage.

LidiaS77

Hi @Riette Nel,

The stuff you are taking with you is both your checked in luggage on the plane and your hand luggage. The goods to follow are the things that will come later e.g. if you're having a container shipped over.

MaryJane

Here are some new links that may help:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.pdf

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186a.pdf

On the subject of a list of accompanying goods and goods to follow, I noted everything that was with me (checked and cabin luggages) on the accompanying list.

The goods to follow had all the items that were not with me but I expected to come later on.

Hope this helps. Safe travel.

Riette Nel

Mary Jane,

What would I do without you.  Thank you so much.  I really appreciate