Sign in to follow this  
Tracey22

Scary new prank - if you can call it that

Tracey22

This happened a ways from us. the family were woken up at 6am with 15-20 police officers barging through their house. York region Police have said that they will continue to respond in the manner required of a situation. the impact of this is huge - apparently the 911 operator is going for trauma counselling and a debriefing, as are some of the police officers. imagine going in, expecting the worst, dangerous situation, and pointing a gun at innocent sleeping people.

http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto/swatting-audio-toronto

MaryJane

I saw this on the news. All I can say is "Appalling!" (I can't think of a much stronger word).

• Like 1

Correct Tracey, this should not be called a prank by any means. Makes me sometimes wonder how a sane person justifies this as being funny! It is only funny until somebody is accidentally shot and killed. One can only imagine the fear of that poor innocent family! If they catch the perpetrator, tar and feathers comes to mind!

MaryJane

Another one just today at a Brampton school.

Heard on the news that if found guilty of swatting, perpetrator/s can get up to 5 years imprisonment.

Jules

Correct Tracey, this should not be called a prank by any means. Makes me sometimes wonder how a sane person justifies this as being funny! It is only funny until somebody is accidentally shot and killed. One can only imagine the fear of that poor innocent family! If they catch the perpetrator, tar and feathers comes to mind!

Yes the risk of a SWAT member shooting is real - they are storming into a dark house with finger on the trigger and adrenaline pumping. If the startled homeowner jumps up then there's a risk of shots being fired.

Youngsters play "pranks" without comprehending the risks or implications.

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

I shared on another thread a few months ago how returning a phone call to a "telemarketer" had my call go through to 911 **instead, and two police vehicles with four members responded. This happened in January this year soon after we moved to Calgary. Not nearly as traumatic and horrendous as the swatting that seems to be increasing, but boy, I was shocked when the 911 dispatcher could not even cancel my call as the law prevents them from doing that. They have to respond. I had to stay on the phone with her until the cops got to our house, then hand the phone to one of the members so he could sign off that I was not in danger.

**The phone number in my caller ID was 91-1xxxxx and I did not pick up on the prefix being 911. :badidea: