Sign in to follow this  
Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Petition to EU Council: Allow all white S.Africans right to return to

I find this quite an interesting development - not sure what will become of it, but it is certainly newsworthy.

What do you guys think of it?

My concern is that so many other races/nationalities are also at risk and in danger in SA.

I have no idea who FN/Front Nasionaal is and what they stand for either.

People must really be getting very desperate. :(

Petitioning Council of the European Union

Allow all white South Africans the right to return to Europe

https://www.change.org/p/european-commission-allow-all-white-south-africans-the-right-to-return-to-europe

ENGinCT

Good luck trying to get George Soros to worry about some troublesome minority of white people in Africa - didn't you hear that there's 'systemic racism' in Baltimore?

Tracey22

I do not know about this. This is a political minefield. if I expressed my opinion on this, I would find my :censored: in Timbuktu

• Like 1

Nelline

I don't mind being censored (in a good cause.) In my opinion, this is a load of b@ll@cks. "White" people in SA cannot claim an inalienable right to a European heritage - what about all the coloured and black people in SA with "European" blood? What about their "rights?"

• Like 1

Cathy K

Nelline, I won't sign this petition either. Just remember that the majority of White South Africans would love to stay in South Africa (including most of us). It's the ANC leaders and ANC majority that make no bones about wanting us out. Black and Coloured South Africans are still welcome in the country.

Desperate people take desperate measures. We read every day on this Forum how people are truly desperate to leave South Africa.

• Like 3

Nelline, I won't sign this petition either. Just remember that the majority of White South Africans would love to stay in South Africa (including most of us). It's the ANC leaders and ANC majority that make no bones about wanting us out. Black and Coloured South Africans are still welcome in the country.

Desperate people take desperate measures. We read every day on this Forum how people are truly desperate to leave South Africa.

Same here, Cathy. The support for the petition is growing though.

Perhaps Mugabe's recent statement that S.Africa needs a "second liberation" is fuelling the fear.

The guy that started this petition lives in Brazil. I wonder why he would start a petition talking about Europe then?

We all had our hopes that things would change for the better. I was a champion of the New South Africa, I was even labelled a fanatic liberal! It was hailed as a democratic marvel of the 21st century. What great hopes and dreams we all had. Fast forward 20 + years later, crime is out of control, +/- 16500 murders per year, xenophobic attacks etc. As for me the rest is history, Canada is now home!

Would I have stayed in South Africa if things were different, most definitely. I was well set in South Africa with a good career and business prospects. If Canada was not an option and I was offered safe passage to another country, I would most certainly have accepted it. My family always came first in this life changing journey when I decided to leave South Africa.

We all had our hopes that things would change for the better. I was a champion of the New South Africa, I was even labelled a fanatic liberal! It was hailed as a democratic marvel of the 21st century. What great hopes and dreams we all had. Fast forward 20 + years later, crime is out of control, +/- 16500 murders per year, xenophobic attacks etc. As for me the rest is history, Canada is now home!

Would I have stayed in South Africa if things were different, most definitely. I was well set in South Africa with a good career and business prospects. If Canada was not an option and I was offered safe passage to another country, I would most certainly have accepted it. My family always came first in this life changing journey when I decided to leave South Africa.

We went back to SA October 1994 - initially for an extended visit but it became five years.

It didn't take long to realise they real change wasn't going to happen. My hubby's concern was for the four of us: what kind of future would our two sons have? If things had changed for the good, we would never have left. I have EU citizenship, as do our sons, and so we were fortunate to have options-which is probably what so many people signing the petition hopes will be handed to them. However, our citizenship took effort and research, gathering of many documents-all which my brother did as our "golden passport" as EU c/ship is loosely termed, came because both our grandparents were born in Germany. It is doubtful that a petition would move the EU Council. As it is they don't quite know what to do with the thousands of refugees arriving by the boat load in Italy from Somalia etc.

I hear you heart, Lawrence, and it sounds just like what my husband has voiced many times. One's own family comes first. Now that our sons are adults I am looking back at SA, but only to help by possibly launching an initiative to help care for elderly pensioners, living by themselves with very little food/money. A friend is already feeding them and I would like to add my efforts from this side. So, we can still bless and help in whatever small way we can.

Interesting article on Germany taking so many refugees.

Makes one wonder when, if ever, S.Africans will be granted refugee status? I know this is a topic we've discussed here before.

DOUG SAUNDERS

Germany: Where the refugee flood is a solution, not a problem

DOUG SAUNDERS

FRANKFURT — The Globe and Mail

Published

Saturday, May. 23 2015, 3:00 AM EDT

Last updated

Friday, May. 22 2015, 4:57 PM EDT

and Iraqis who don’t end up bobbing lifeless in the Mediterranean or steered at gunpoint back to the southern shore? Where do they wind up?

The answer, overwhelmingly, is found here on the western edge of Germany, in the urban quilt around the Rhine and Main rivers. It is here, the booming heartland of the world’s most successful economy, that perhaps the greatest concentration of the war-weary of Africa and Asia are being received, sorted, cleaned up and placed in (figurative and literal) boxes.

No other country comes close to hosting so many fleeing people: Last year, Germany received 173,000 refugee applications (and accepted most), a third of Europe’s total and more than twice as many as the second-place country, Sweden. (Canada took 13,000 refugees last year, and expects 16,000 this year.) It is a human tide not seen since the Balkan wars of the 1990s, when as many as 438,000 refugees a year came to Germany.

Unlike Canada, where refugees are mainly sponsored by families and charities, the German government sorts and disperses its asylum seekers: Towns and cities with the strongest economies get the most. This week, Chancellor Angela Merkel pressed the 27 other European Union countries to imitate this system internationally. The response, so far, has been chilly.

Rest of article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/germany-where-the-refugee-flood-is-a-solution-not-a-problem/article24565583/

ENGinCT

It doesn't appear necessary to be "granted" anything. It seems that one just has to arrive in Germany and announce that one is a refugee.

Of the 150 000+ people who 'boated' to Italy last year, I don't believe any at all were sent back and certainly a large proportion were not refugees in the strict sense. Just seeking a more comfortable life.

Of course, this tactic might not work so well if you have a pale complexion...