Sign in to follow this  
SASHA123

OPINIONS ON BEST PET TRAVEL COMPANIES

SASHA123

Hi all,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I am unable to find the thread.

Can anyone please give me their opinion on the best pet travel company that I can contact for quotations on transporting my 2x cats up to Canada?

Thanks in advance

Clarise Malherbe

Hi Sasha,

I am currently dealing with a company based at OR Tambo.

They are by far the most affordable compared to others in Cape Town.

They are super helpful and very patient when it comes to answering all my questions. I am a very protective mother over my two yorkies.

Peter Teitge

Email: peter@ittagroup.co.za

I'm sure if you tell him Clarise Malherbe ( yorkies to Calgary) referred you he will take good care of you. He has been amazing.

Good luck.

Clarise

• Like 1

Melaniek

Clarise

I am taking my yorkie with to Toronto and the quote I got from Global Paws was around R 14 000. May I ask what they quoted you for your yorkies to Calgary??

Raquel

I will be in the same boat with my Yorkie - so I will be following this thread! :)

Just to clarify are these quotes to travel with the pet on board with you, as "baggage" with you or after you arrive as cargo?

PRApp

Hi guys

I just wanted to make sure. When we go over to Toronto, there is no Quarantine period for the dogs, right (Assuming you have all the documents they require)? We will also be sending the dogs from OR tambo. Do we have to accompany the dogs on our flight or can we sent over the dogs on a later stage when we find proper accomodation?

Melaniek

Poor Canada. Invasion of the Yorkshire terriers!!!! ?????

• Like 2

Raquel

Poor Canada. Invasion of the Yorkshire terriers!!!!

We just making it a better place! :P:D

• Like 1

Nelline

No quarantine

You can do both, it doesn't matter financially because you aren't able to book your pets as excess baggage from SA (thereby saving a lot of money!) - you can only work via a pet travel company and they will only book your pet as cargo (much more expensive) so whether you send them over later, or they fly at the same time as you, it costs the same (which is a LOT!)

We were able to send our dogs from the UK as excess baggage and we handled it ourselves, thereby making a saving of nearly 75% off of the quoted prices of pet travel companies

Hi guys

I just wanted to make sure. When we go over to Toronto, there is no Quarantine period for the dogs, right (Assuming you have all the documents they require)? We will also be sending the dogs from OR tambo. Do we have to accompany the dogs on our flight or can we sent over the dogs on a later stage when we find proper accomodation?

Clarise Malherbe

Hey guys,

Nelline is right. Unfortunately we have to go the more expensive route and book them as cargo. Our airports are not equipped to have the pets travel on board or even as excess baggage.

Global paws quoted me R24000 for my two. That is just insane!!!!

ITTA was by far the best price. R10 000, but I take the certificate that my vet completed to the State Vet and on day of travel I check them in at cargo.

The reason for this is because they do not have representatives in Cape Town anymore. I am a control freak so I have no problem doing a small bit of running around the day before especially if it will save me that much money.

There are three companies in Cape Town that I contacted for info and for quotes.

1) Animal Travel Services, based close to CPT international Airport

They were friendly, but when I asked for a quote the second time the price increased with R3000. No dates were changed or anything so no idea how that works, because the fuel and exchange rate was not high at that stage.

2) Global Paws,

It seems a bit like it's all about the money. Did not get a great feeling. ( just my opinion)

R24000 without the travel kennels.

3) Pets 2 go, based in Edgemead

She was referred by my doggy groomer.

Friendly and actually worked for Animal Travel Services years ago,but she was very slow with getting back to me and I just felt if I am going to have my babies travelon a flight and with me in the air as well they need to be tracked and I need to know where they are at all times. Again it is just how I think, if you can't email me within a week then I can't trust that my babies will be fine in your hands.

Peter was amazing right from the start even if you don't make use of his services, he will still answer all your questions.

The supplier for the International airline approved kennels is in Table view, CPT.

I decided to save costs I will buy them direct from her. I saved R1500 by getting them myself. In fact it is the same supplier ITTA uses. When I mentioned it to him he said go for it. Now that I like.

Please don't think I am penny wise pound foolish, but with an accountant for a man one needs to think about that.

The dogs are flying on KLM the same day as us, but we fly via JHB and dogs fly direct. They then stay overnight at the Animal Hotel at Schiphol, where they will be walked, fed and checked by a Vet. The next day they fly to Calgary.

GrantM and I had such a discussion about whether they need to follow after we have arrived, but to ask someone to look after them and still have to arrange from Canada, was just not an option for me. If we didn't have accommodation then it would be different, but if you prefer taking them with at the same time, then you can find pet friendly places over there.

Sorry for the long essay.

If you guys have any more questions please feel free to ask. I have been researching the pet travel from the day we applied, so I have read lots of info and if I can be helpful then at least another yorkie baby can become Canadian

• Like 2

PRApp

Thank you Clarise and Nelline. This was so helpful.

We have two schnauzers. And I'm so worried about them travelling that far.

Edited by PRApp

milo23

I got a quote from Petport. Lady's name is Hazel. I then met her at World of Dogs Expo last year. She was great. I just had another quote from Flying Animals which is less but I didn't find them as organised although the quote is less. I find it frustrating that flying animals wants slightly different paperwork to petport. Now to find out who is telling the truth....

Raquel

I got a quote from Petport. Lady's name is Hazel. I then met her at World of Dogs Expo last year. She was great. I just had another quote from Flying Animals which is less but I didn't find them as organised although the quote is less. I find it frustrating that flying animals wants slightly different paperwork to petport. Now to find out who is telling the truth....

If you don't mind me asking- could you perhaps provide values of quotes... Just to get an idea?! Should you not feel comfortable to do so for whatever reason, I understand!

Melaniek

Clarise, can we get the crates in JHB too? What is the company's name? I spoke to Peter at ITTA yesterday and he was fantastic!!!

Clarise Malherbe

Hey Melanie.

The company is called Handy Pet Carriers. Wendy Hardy is the owner.

You can send her an email and ask her if she can send it to you.

Email: handypetcarriers@gmail.com

When I looked for suppliers I am sure I found more in JHB. She is the only supplier in CPT.

Hope things work out for you guys.

Nelline

On another note - for those of you worried about how your furry friends will fare while travelling (now there's some alliteration for you!) they do very well. Try to get them used to their caret for a few weeks beforehand, by letting them sleep in it etc, and use your own bedding. Put shredded paper (not newspaper, but you do get packaging paper) under the bedding in case of a glipsie. Don't use tranquilisers. Don't feed them right before the flight either. Tape a small packet of their usual food to the top of the crate, the last thing you want is a change in diet during the transit.

KLM is fantastic and the animals get the royal treatment at Schiphol

Rhett Glas

As far as i know one cant do your own flight arrangements for your pets, from South Africa ! You have to use a pet transport company....dont know why.

We have just arranged to have our French bulldog puppy flown from Kiev to Jhb with Lufthansa and total cost with vet check up, blood tests and cargo charges...R5000. Its actually not a difficult excersize, just SA regulations are ridiculous...if she was going to any other country, my wife's mom could have hand carried her on the plane...but SA rules...no pet can be brought into the country in the planes cabin. Our borders are as porous as beach sand with all sorts coming into this country, but to bring in a small puppy thats had all the care in the world..is a no no ! Then still a weeks quarantine !

milo23

I was quoted roughly the same as a human ticket on KLM by Petport. R14 Grand including custom made crate and pick up from Pretoria. That was for JHB to CALGARY. We are going to SK but the airports in SK don't take animals. That means a 6 hour drive to pick him up. He's a springer Spaniel cross weighing about 12kg.