Sign in to follow this  
Clarise Malherbe

Landing your first interview.

Recommended Posts

Clarise Malherbe

Hi there,

I haven't been very active on the forum, but my other half GrantM has been the one to post and update as we go along.

Some of you may know that we have our passports and that we are moving to Calgary on the Wed 3 June.

We have been super stressed about looking for jobs as I know all new immigrants are.

I am an Esthetician and after doing a bit of research I found a boutique salon with 6 Calgary locations that I just loved. I customized my resume and cover letter and replied to an add on Kijij and last night I emailed the one store directly.

This morning I woke up to 2 emails from them. Needless to say I jumped up and got so excited for a second and then the nerves kicked in.

The one email was to set up an interview for the date I gave them, which is a few days after we arrive, just to settle in a little bit and try sleep off any jetlag.

The other email is from the proprietor of the company and she asked if I was available today (Thursday) or tomorrow for an interview. Now on my cover letter I mention that I will only be available for an in person interview the week commencing the 8th of June, clearly she skipped through that part ? she mentioned that if not we can arrange for a later date. I don't want to seem uninterested so I need to ask for some advice...

Should I mention that I am only available for in person interviews from the 8th, but if they would feel comfortable doing a Skype interview before then I will be available? Should I just give as a reason that I will be in Calgary from that date or should I mention I am from SA and landing the previous week?

I don't want to blow my chanes at getting a job, but I am nervous to arrange a Skype interview and then Load shedding kicks in. What a first impression that will be ?

Sorry for the long essay. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Clarise

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sideline

Take the opportunity to get an interview. Even if it's via Skype at least you will get a sense of what Canadians interview like.

The best is to not hide anything and say you are not in Calgary yet due to immigration (only say this in the interview) not in a reply email :)

You will walk away with two things doing this. Either settle the nerves and know what to expect if it doesn't pan out, or you will have a job waiting for you when you land.

Good luck, and just remember to do an interview at your best time (SA is 8 hours ahead of Calgary right now.) so 12 pm (noon in Canada - they don't understand mid day) is 8pm in SA time. So try work around load shedding or rent a generator :P

Edited by Sideline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clarise Malherbe

Thanks Sideline.

I will reply to them and hopefully it will all work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raquel

CONGRATS!!!! Go get it Clarise! Holding thumbs for you.... keeps us posted. :ilikeit:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GrantM

That's my girl!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Helanie

Awesome Clarise!!! So happy for you!! This is great news!! I really hope things work out for you - Good luck with the interview / interviews !! And yes - I think Sideline is spot on!! :hug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jules

I was under the impression that the Esthetician industry is regulated much like hair styling which would mean you need to be licensed. My daughter is a hairstylist and I know for a fact that industry requires licensing. I recall when she did her training she had two paths: she could either do the hairstyling or she could also do a dual program which included Esthetics. Many salons offer both services. Our daughter who is working now is still thinking about doing the additional studies. Based on what she has said it sounds like both need licensing but I could easily be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracey22

I got my first job in Canada while interviewing on the beach in Camps bay via skype. i was on vacation, and i had gotten the time zone difference wrong. So there i was, with my laptop, in a suit on Camps Bay beach. I got the job!

Ask them for a skype interview. i have done numerous interviews telephonically, where the the employer is in New York or Chicago, and the job is actually in Toronto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clarise Malherbe

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jules, my qualifications are international and Canada recognizes Cidesco diplomas/ certificates.

Did she study in Canada?

In SA you do your college exams, then you do a qualifying exam for the SA national diploma. Many girls don't make it to actually do the SAASHP.

There are two international Certifications. ITEC ( UK) and then Cidesco (Swiss).

I chatted to a girl that studied Esthetics in Canada and she mentioned that the salons and spas prefer our Esthetician qualifications. We are apparently trained to a higher level and standard than the Canadians.

I did research for certifications, but it turns out it is exactly the same that I have, just a Canadian version.

With regards to hairstylists, I know they have very strict rules in Canada about the chemicals etc. does not surprise me that they get a bit difficult when it comes to certifications. In SA you don't study Hairstyling for two years, but you also do an apprenticeship for practice. Actually quite similar to what I had to do.

If she needs any help deciding to go into the Esthetic field, please feel free to ask.

Tracy, that is so funny. I can only imagine although you won't find me on Camps Bay beach this time of the year. ?

Edited by Clarise Malherbe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Prins Family

@GrantM  Hi Grant, I want to get in touch with your wife, Clarise, but see she is not active on this forum anymore. I was just wondering if she ever had her ITEC qualifications assessed and received a Canadian equivalency or not? Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GrantM
3 hours ago, Prins Family said:

@GrantM  Hi Grant, I want to get in touch with your wife, Clarise, but see she is not active on this forum anymore. I was just wondering if she ever had her ITEC qualifications assessed and received a Canadian equivalency or not? Thanks in advance

Hi there,

I asked Clarise and this is what she said:

"No, I never had the need to get it assessed. Our education is better than what they have here. ITEC is not well known but Cidesco is. Depending on where they will go, Alberta is not regulated. Esthetics is not a huge asset unless you get in with a prestigious spa brand or something."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Prins Family
18 hours ago, GrantM said:

Hi there,

I asked Clarise and this is what she said:

"No, I never had the need to get it assessed. Our education is better than what they have here. ITEC is not well known but Cidesco is. Depending on where they will go, Alberta is not regulated. Esthetics is not a huge asset unless you get in with a prestigious spa brand or something."

@GrantM Thanks Grant and Clarise :)

I don't plan to use these ITEC qualifications to work in Canada. I'm a qualified accountant as well. Struggling to get my accounting diploma correctly assessed so I'm seeing if I can use my ITEC qualifications as a back up plan if need be. It does seem ITEC is not as recognised internationally as one thought it was. So probably will struggle to get a correct assessment or even at all.

Hope you are enjoying life in Canada and hopefully we will be there sooner than later too! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GrantM
3 hours ago, Prins Family said:

@GrantM Thanks Grant and Clarise :)

I don't plan to use these ITEC qualifications to work in Canada. I'm a qualified accountant as well. Struggling to get my accounting diploma correctly assessed so I'm seeing if I can use my ITEC qualifications as a back up plan if need be. It does seem ITEC is not as recognised internationally as one thought it was. So probably will struggle to get a correct assessment or even at all.

Hope you are enjoying life in Canada and hopefully we will be there sooner than later too! 

Ah, I see. We didn't use hers at all to get over here, fortunately we had enough points that we didn't have to have her write IELTS etc but we got in on the previous rules before Express Entry.

What I can tell you is that ITEC wanted  £35 to issue a letter stating that her course was completed in English. We needed that to apply for citizenship so that we didn't have to spend money to have her do IELTS or CELPIP to prove that she can speak English. Luckily CIDESCO did it for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Prins Family
20 hours ago, GrantM said:

Ah, I see. We didn't use hers at all to get over here, fortunately we had enough points that we didn't have to have her write IELTS etc but we got in on the previous rules before Express Entry.

What I can tell you is that ITEC wanted  £35 to issue a letter stating that her course was completed in English. We needed that to apply for citizenship so that we didn't have to spend money to have her do IELTS or CELPIP to prove that she can speak English. Luckily CIDESCO did it for free.

@GrantM That's great! Unfortunately I need 2 year diploma ECA and both myself and husband need the 8/7/7/7 IELTS combo to get to 442 points! 

That's about the same cost they wanted to charge me to reprint certificates! That is a bit steep for just a letter... That must have been such a relief that she didn't need to do English test for Citizenship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GrantM
10 hours ago, Prins Family said:

@GrantM That's great! Unfortunately I need 2 year diploma ECA and both myself and husband need the 8/7/7/7 IELTS combo to get to 442 points! 

That's about the same cost they wanted to charge me to reprint certificates! That is a bit steep for just a letter... That must have been such a relief that she didn't need to do English test for Citizenship!

Yup, I know she would have been fine to pass it but it was nice not having to have the stress and the expense. Citizenship is expensive enough!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this