Nelline

Prince Edward Island

Jules

$5 per pound would be an awesome price for sure.

Nelline

The weather was so great yesterday, when Manlief got home from work he and Fionnlagh took the kayaks out on the water behind our house. They only came in for supper about an hour later, filthy and happy! I am much impressed by the 6 year old's burgeoning paddling skills. Too many trees, I found it difficult to get a good shot of this.

11165177_10153351094735960_9649594165404

• Like 2

Raquel

Oh my Nelline! I am super jealous! Looked like a glorious day yesterday!!! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Nelline

Raquel, this reminded me of our conversation the other day - one of my favourite things about Canada is that, when the weather is nice (and in Spring, Summer and Fall it can get super-nice!) you can actually get out there and enjoy it and be safe!

Raquel

Yeah Nelline. One of the biggest things for me, being able to get out, do things AND be safe! Thanks for sharing the kayak experience.

• Like 1

What a life, right behind your home. Keep this up Nelline and you will soon have people flooding into Prince Edward Island! :D

Raquel

Lawrence, Nelline sold PEI to us about 3 weeks ago!!!! Cannot wait to begin life there... :)

• Like 1

Jules

Lawrence, Nelline sold PEI to us about 3 weeks ago!!!! Cannot wait to begin life there... :)

So you are moving to PEI?

Raquel

That plan is in the pipeline Jules. We feel that PEI is the place for us, and has to offer what we are looking for in life... Still got a long way to go... And things don't always go to plan, but one needs to have a final destination and work towards it!

I have had several discussions with Nelline and done extensive research on PEI... Love what we have seen, heard and read about :)

• Like 1

Jules

That plan is in the pipeline Jules. We feel that PEI is the place for us, and has to offer what we are looking for in life... Still got a long way to go... And things don't always go to plan, but one needs to have a final destination and work towards it!

I have had several discussions with Nelline and done extensive research on PEI... Love what we have seen, heard and read about :)

All the best. Sometimes the road less travelled is the right one. Hope all your plans work out.

Raquel

Thanks Jules :)

KarinS

Raquel - if your plans for the beautiful PEI do not work out.....Calgary is not a bad second choice.... :cowboy:

• Like 1

Best wishes with the move Raquel. Positive attitude leads to success! Nelline did a good sales job! :)

So you are moving to PEI?

Not quite yet. After almost 6 years I am too settled in my GTA way!

Nelline

My first advice to people is always "go where the jobs" are I still say that. This is why, when we decided to come to Canada, PEI / the Maritimes were our first choice but we believed there wouldn't be employment for us here. Two years spent in Ottawa proved to me that I am definitely not a city girl and lo and behold, there IS employment in PEI for us! Hey ho, hey ho, come play on our island! BUT ONLY IF YOU CAN FIND A JOB!!

• Like 1

Raquel

Quite right Nelline... Bottom line is you need a job to survive! :)

• Like 1

Jules

Nelline am I correct in assuming that in general the job market is small in PEI? Another factor people need to consider is salary levels versus cost of living (especially housing market because that's the #1 expense). $100,000 a year in Vancouver could leave you poorer than maybe $50,000 in PEI (just guessing on this).

• Like 2

Nelline

There are only 145000 residents on the island so yes the job market would be very much more limited than say, Toronto. However, wherever you are, people will still need doctors, dentists, bank professionals, nurses, and accountants etc etc. The "retail-type" jobs are in high demand for the simple reason that many people on the island are "seasonal" - they go out on the boats in the warm seasons and in winter, they either go flip burgers or they draw "benefits" - I'm being brutally honest here.

Property is fabulously affordable and rental costs are low. For example, we're currently renting (will probably end up buying this place) an "older" type house, with 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, about 2400 sq feet on nearly a half acre of land, on the water, for $1200. Put this same place elsewhere, Calgary or Vancouver, what would you be paying? I can only compare to Ottawa and it would be at least $800 - $1000 per month more there (without the water!)

Heating costs are higher than areas where you have natural gas heating - oil is very expensive. However our fuel for transport is much lower as our commute distance is so much smaller.

I earn the same as I would have earned in Ottawa and Manlief had an increase when he took this job. Due to the shorter travel distances to get to work, we manage to not have childcare costs, which was a killer in Ontario.

My advice for anyone considering any part of the Maritimes (there are more opportunities for employment in places like Halifax and Moncton than there is on PEI if you're set on the East Coast), do your job research, if there are jobs in your line in this area, by all means go for it, however there is a reason why many people choose to land in places like Calgary and Toronto - there's just so much more scope for employment in general. Plus, if you're a big city type, don't even think about it you'll be bored to tears fairly soon! It's very romantic to think about "island life" but when you've been snowed in for days on end in Winter and you're wondering WHEN the snowplows will get around to digging out your street, it gets less romantic and more "let's brew another batch of beer shall we?"

• Like 3

KarinS

..the beer brewing sounds fabulously romantic to me hahaha

• Like 1

shawman

You said it Nelline! Living in Newfoundland can be wonderful. But the snow! Oh my word it can be so tiresome. Shovelling out your driveway 4 or 5 times a day becomes exhausting. The job market here is also seasonal and a lot of people are Alberta oil sand workers who commute. I would agree with Nelline and say research your job carefully before choosing Newfoundland. It is a University town so a lot of the retail jobs are done by students. Access is also limited to a ferry (temperamental in winter) but flights to South Africa are relatively cheap and London is only 6 hours away. I love it but I'm a small town person!

• Like 2

Nelline

Guess where we're eating on Thursday? And Friday? Aaaaand Saturday? And most probably Sunday too? Yes! It's Ribfest time!

We went to Ribfest in Ottawa last Summer and it was awesome.

• Like 1

Guess where we're eating on Thursday? And Friday? Aaaaand Saturday? And most probably Sunday too? Yes! It's Ribfest time!

One of the summer highlights in the GTA and we are spoilt for choice. Privileged to enjoy these outdoor activities in a well organized, safe and clean environment.

Nelline

Hmmmmmm... Ribfest! Look at that gorgeous blue sky. 6pm in the evening.

11357041_10153376530300960_2747788600899

• Like 1

Nelline

What to do on a Sunday evening on good old PEI... brew some beer, of course! Using the Turkey Deep frier no less!

11427660_10153394380730960_4869971792526

• Like 1

shawman

Is that your garden Nelline? It's gorgeous. And the weather looks lovely!

• Like 1