Nelline

Prince Edward Island

Nelline

Nestled just off the East Coast of Canada, and originally called "Abegweit" the island is now a popular holiday destination in summer. I plan to post photos in this thread showing the diversity and beauty of our new home.

• Like 2

Nelline

Point Prim is very rural and quiet, it boasts a magnificent lighthouse and a superb Chowder House, and not much else! We visited on Sunday 10 May, it was overcast and with an eerie mist drifting in from the sea... as the Chowder House hasn't yet opened for the season we didn't see another soul.

11261935_10153296347405960_7711063031162

• Like 6

Nelline

Closer view of the Lighthouse at Point Prim

11242795_10153296357475960_7703047881129

• Like 6

Nelline

Chowder House in the mist...

11201121_10153296358070960_8947893937257

• Like 6

Melaniek

Nelline, this looks stunning!!!!

• Like 2

Hennie Calgary

Fantastic. I have recently read "Shipping News" by Annie Proulx, about that area, and these pics make the book come to life! I can just see the characters walking on that beach.

• Like 1

Cathy K

Beautiful! Now you only have to find out where the famous Chef, Michael Smith, lives. I would love to be his neighbour!:-)

http://chefmichaelsmith.com/michael/

• Like 1

Great pics, thanks for sharing Nelline. Reminds me a little of the Mossel Bay area, early winter morning.

Nelline

Thanks everyone, I plan to keep on adding photos to this as we explore. Just about 20km on from this beach, there's an area called Cavendish with miles of lovely creamy beaches, I hope to have loads of photos of that too, I did take some in the Autumn but with my little "mik en druk" so I'll wait until I can take some proper photos to do the area justice :-)

Nelline

Cathy I would love to meet him! I believe he wasn't born and bred on the Island, but another moved here later on (I might be wrong). I own one of his cookbooks which is the closest I have been able to get to him ha ha!

Edited by Nelline

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Nelline, this looks stunning!!!!

Agreed! :ilikeit:

DavidD

Nelline nice pictures. Hennie there is a movie called The Shipping News, similar title to your book. Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore, Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett act in it. Movie includes life in Newfoundland fishing village.

• Like 1

Raquel

@ Nelline- please send us more pics! ;)

• Like 1

Nelline

I just snapped some photos yesterday with my phone, so nothing spectacular! Here we have Jakes teaching Fionnlagh to paddle his new kayak. He got on surprisingly well for a 6 year old!

We had such fun yesterday, perfect weather, spent the afternoon on the beach, and had a picnic on an old treestump. As Fionnlagh said "Mummy I love picnics - they're all Picky and Nicky and Outsidy and Eaty!"

10854291_10153312147035960_2767094577343

Edited by Nelline
  • Like 4

Nelline

To the left there is a small island (contradiction in terms ha ha!), I believe it's called "Government Island"

11072179_10153312147025960_8573942639007

• Like 3

Raquel

Such awesome pics!!!

Nelline

Thanks Raquel! We love it here. The first cruise ship of the season is in harbour today so we plan to meet up after work, then the three of us will walk around the harbour (I'll take photos) and view the sights.

Such awesome pics!!!

• Like 1

Raquel

Yes please.... I'll be waiting! ;)

• Like 1

Nelline

This was my view approaching our road this evening. The water you see below is the same river we have down the backyard. The first cruise ship of the season was in harbour.

11269789_10153315137450960_3468444473885

• Like 5

Raquel

Too beautiful Nelline!

• Like 1

KarinS

It looks so beautiful! I would love to live there. Keep posting more photos!

• Like 3

Raquel

I am sooooo keen on PEI! Feel like we were made for one another!!!! ?

• Like 1

Nelline

This afternoon it was so nice and sunny we threw a picnic together after work and drove to Victoria. Once there it was a little blustery (to say the least) so we ended up in the local lobster joint with beers and apple juice. You decide who had what!

The picnic was consumed at home, later.

This is definitely a spot I want to visit again. Maybe take some photos!

http://www.victoriabythesea.ca

This is the lobster joint:

LobsterPub.jpg

And this is the working lighthouse:

image49-100x150.jpg

Edited by Nelline
  • Like 1

Raquel

Looks like such an awesome spot! ;) how is the price of lobster Nelline? I would expect it to be rather cheap there...

Nelline

In restaurants it is rather expensive, you pay about $30-$35 for a smallish lobster (about 1lb in weight) but then it is cooked and presented of course. If you buy them live from a supermarket (Sobey's etc) you pay at least $10 per lb (live lobster). If you can get them off a boat, in other words if you "know" someone it is $5 per lb. The boats get $4.50 from the outlets per lb so $5 is a really good price.

I've ordered 5lbs for this coming weekend - "off the boat."

Photos to follow!!

Edited by Nelline