Sign in to follow this  
W-T

WES Credential Assessment

Frank

Yes, only one degree. Accepted the lower EE score. Waiting for my invitation. Scores are close. Should be soon.

Kadisova

Thanks for response and Good Luck! This year will be different scores wise!

Nettie

@Kadisova Here is a link to a Canadian Honours Degree. http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/info/regist/calendars/programs/1174.html It typically takes 4 years to obtain 120 credits.

If you studied 4 years to obtain your honours degree, including the Bachelors, it wouldn't count as a second degree.  

I'm not a WES pro or ITA pro. I am just someone who has done a lot of research in the equivalency of qualifications lately.

Edited by Nettie
  • Like 1

QueenOfHeartsZA
6 hours ago, Nettie said:

@Kadisova It typically takes 4 years to obtain 120 credits.

I do not understand this as my husband's 3 year BSc computer science degree was 360 credits in total and his BSc honours was 120 credits.

Nettie

There may be a confusion with terminology. The 360 may be contact hours.

360 credits, in North American terms, will mean 120 classes/courses, each 3 credits. That (40 courses/year) seems almost impossible to obtain over 3 years. 

In Canada most B.Sc degrees are 3 years, plus one more year for the Honours part and that equals a total of 120 credits. Most classes/courses are considered 3 credits/credit hours and lab is usually 1 credit hour.  The B.Sc will therefore be approximately 10 courses/year x 3.

It is confusing because each country has it's own system and in some cases universities/colleges differ too. Some do Semester Hours, some do Credit Hours and some do Contact Hours. In the US, for instance, all Bachelor's degrees are 4 years = 120 credit hours. I don't know how this will translate to SA standards, because the school year here is usually two semesters, starting in September, January or May, with +- 15 credits/semester. 

Edited by Nettie

Ominous_Hashtag
On 3/10/2017 at 7:30 PM, Kadisova said:

Hi, Ominous_Hashtag

I have received exactly the same evaluation for my Bachelor's and Honours degrees.

I have filled in two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees in EE and received an ITA. Could you, please, share your experience on this subject. I don't know what to do, whether to decline the ITA or to proceed with the WES Canadian Equivalency Summary, which looks confusing.

Hi Kadisova,

This remains to be a contentious issue and I don't know for a fact what the rights answer is. I have used what the WES report says and opted for the higher points - I also did this because of the following info from CIC:

ECA as they specifically state (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp) that for Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees:

ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree (check)

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:

• Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma (check)
  • Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Graduate diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • one-year of graduate study with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Study Toward a Master's Degree

My "honours" degree is technically a Postgraduate Diploma - that is the title given to it by UNISA since, a few years ago, they started calling all their "honours" degrees in the BCom field "Postgraduate Diplomas" instead. According to the available definitions I still believe it correct to go this route but I'm in no position to confirm this as fact. My ITA has been submitted as such but I've not received feedback yet on this particular matter. 

Practically I've seen differing results for other people and I'm not sure what the reason is - immigration officers might not be handling this in a consistent manner. I also still suspect that the term "honours degree" stated on many qualifications could be confusing to both WES and CIC.

I will give more feedback once I know more.

• Like 1

Kadisova
1 hour ago, Ominous_Hashtag said:

Hi Kadisova,

This remains to be a contentious issue and I don't know for a fact what the rights answer is. I have used what the WES report says and opted for the higher points - I also did this because of the following info from CIC:

ECA as they specifically state (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp) that for Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees:

ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree (check)

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:

• Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma (check)
  • Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Graduate diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • one-year of graduate study with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Study Toward a Master's Degree

My "honours" degree is technically a Postgraduate Diploma - that is the title given to it by UNISA since, a few years ago, they started calling all their "honours" degrees in the BCom field "Postgraduate Diplomas" instead. According to the available definitions I still believe it correct to go this route but I'm in no position to confirm this as fact. My ITA has been submitted as such but I've not received feedback yet on this particular matter. 

Practically I've seen differing results for other people and I'm not sure what the reason is - immigration officers might not be handling this in a consistent manner. I also still suspect that the term "honours degree" stated on many qualifications could be confusing to both WES and CIC.

I will give more feedback once I know more.

Hi,  Ominous_Hashtag

I have researched the Canadian equivalencies and I can agree that although Honours in South Africa is a postgraduate degree, in Canada it falls under undergraduate programmes. So I can understand why the Canadian equivalency would be a four year bachelor's. It is a highest of undergraduate degrees there, and it allows one to be accepted for Master's/ PhD programmes. Therefore it is clear why the evaluation consultants from the ECA organisations would give so many South Africans an equivalency of four year Bachelor's for their Honours level in conjunction with the three year bachelor's.

For me the confusion and frustration comes when I know of two people, my friends, whose Honours was assessed by WES as a one year graduate degree programme ( thus giving them an option of choosing two or more degrees in CIC). At this point it doesn't matter graduate or postgraduate, because it makes sense for them to assess it on a graduate level since it doesn't fall under the postgraduate  programme in Canada.

CIC states 3 year bachelor's Plus any of the options below "two or more degrees" tab except for High School drop down options OR the options you have quoted. So based on that statement my two friends can freely claim two or more degrees with their WES assessment.

Hence from one side it is very understandable that Honours would be counted as a four year bachelor, because it's a good academic option for some, who want to advance in postgraduate studies in Canada. However from the assessment my friends have received it is also very logical to call Honours a one year graduate programme in a specific field, especially if one's major differed from the major in one's three year bachelor's.

Now, for CIC purposes and all the people that are trying to score higher points, this last bit of information can be very upsetting. This can be taken for a further argument where even if one had the same major, one had to be admitted to an Honours degree and has received another/ separate certificate for it.  So why such a distinction  from people whose Honours was assessed as a one year graduate programme? And what if a person were to do another Honours, this would definitely count as another degree.. So these are just my thoughts on a subject.

This certainly opens some grounds for an argument for all the people who are short on points and have their Honours degree.

• Like 1

Kadisova
19 hours ago, Nettie said:

@Kadisova Here is a link to a Canadian Honours Degree. http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/info/regist/calendars/programs/1174.html It typically takes 4 years to obtain 120 credits.

If you studied 4 years to obtain your honours degree, including the Bachelors, it wouldn't count as a second degree.  

I'm not a WES pro or ITA pro. I am just someone who has done a lot of research in the equivalency of qualifications lately.

Hi, Nettie

I have also done a research on this matter before. Many provinces within Canada have different approach to Honours degree. Take for example, Alberta. In addition the argument comes into play when one has received two separate certificates. The person was not admitted to a four year programme from the beginning, one had to reapply with specific prerequisites to be admitted to Honours, after receiving his/ her Bachelor's Certificate.

Zealan
2 hours ago, Ominous_Hashtag said:

This is my feeling as well. Inconsistencies in both CIC and WES. It seems like it will come down to the luck of the draw, at the end of the day.

• Like 1

Harry_Newforest

Does WES request the information directly from the academic institutions?

Or do you have to go to the academic institutions get them to put it into an envelope let them sign the form and then send it to WES?

MaryJane
4 hours ago, Harry_Newforest said:

Does WES request the information directly from the academic institutions?

Or do you have to go to the academic institutions get them to put it into an envelope let them sign the form and then send it to WES?

You have to facilitate the request. WES does not request from the institution directly.

Mheynes456

Hi guys,

I am a bit confused with my WES evaluation and hoping someone can help.

I submitted my 3 year national diploma as well as my certificate for a short course in public relations from Unisa (NQF6 equivalent) and this is the assessment I received back:

So now, can I put this in as two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees? And if not, what other option can I use? The other ones are only 1 year post secondary, 2 year post secondary or bachelors.

Has anyone else had the same thing?

eval.png

Edited by Mheynes456

QueenOfHeartsZA

Sadly it will only be  Diploma 3 years as that's what is stated under Canadian equivalent. If it was more it would say 3 year diploma AND 1 year certificate or something like that. The course has to be a full year. My husband was also hoping a course he did would count but it couldn't because it was not long enough. 

Edited by QueenOfHeartsZA

Meyer88
8 hours ago, Mheynes456 said:

Hi guys,

I am a bit confused with my WES evaluation and hoping someone can help.

I submitted my 3 year national diploma as well as my certificate for a short course in public relations from Unisa (NQF6 equivalent) and this is the assessment I received back:

So now, can I put this in as two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees? And if not, what other option can I use? The other ones are only 1 year post secondary, 2 year post secondary or bachelors.

Has anyone else had the same thing?

eval.png

Hi Mheyenes

I need some help, i  just created a Wes profile, payed via credit card. 

I received an error "Auth decline" but the money was charged from my credit card!!!

Meaning no WES number to submit my ECA and R3300 missing from my account.

Any inputs or builds

comment here or whatsapp

whatsapp on 0826677576

Wes payment.jpg

FaithFUL
11 hours ago, Meyer88 said:

I received an error "Auth decline" but the money was charged from my credit card!!!

Meaning no WES number to submit my ECA and R3300 missing from my account.

I would do the following if it was me:

• See if the transaction has actually come off my card or if it's sitting under "pending transactions". If it's sitting under pending transaction for longer than 3 days then chances are good that it didn't go through. (My experience)
  • If the payment has gone through, then look in your e-mail for correspondence from WES. This will confirm that your application has been received and it also has your WES number on it.
  • If payment has come off your card & no e-mail was received then I'd definitely contact WES. Here is the link were you can log the incident: http://www.wes.org/ca/support/  I would attach the proof of payment/ copy of the credit card statement along with the explanation.

YolandaB

Hi @Meyer88,

Also what you should do is contact your bank... I have found that sometimes they "flag" a suspicious transaction ... what I normally do when I want to pay for larger things overseas is ill call "card department" and give them a heads-up of a payment ill be making.

I think your error is more bank related than WES related, but try both just in case.