Sign in to follow this  
W-T

WES Credential Assessment

Ominous_Hashtag

Hi guys,

I'd like to add on a question to this thread (and apologize in advance for reviving a contentious issue - perhaps even unnecessarily) 

I'm in the process of organising my records for WES (and hopefully I don't get assaulted on campus in the process).

On my WES application I indicated that I have two qualifications that I wanted verified:

1. BCom Accounting Sciences (UP)

2. Postgraduate Diploma in Management Accounting (UNISA)

The first one I expect to be assessed as a 3-year bachelor equivalent. The second one is where things get really confusing.

Now UNISA has in recent years started adopting a policy of changing the titles of their postgraduate qualifications from "Honours" to "Postgraduate Diploma". This includes the CTA/Honnours for accounting in the CA (SA) qualification route. From an SA labour market perspective it almost feels like a downgrade (no more "Degree" but rather "Postgraduate Diploma") yet it's on exactly the same level.

Yet it would appear that this might count in my favour for ECA as they specifically state (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp) that for Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees:

ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree (check)

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:

• Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Postgraduate certificate (optional)
  • Postgraduate Diploma (check)
  • Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Graduate diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • one-year of graduate study with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Study Toward a Master's Degree

CIC themselves are indicating this clear as day. Is it perhaps a matter of the words "Honours Degree" confusing WES and resulting in some of the issues people have had here?

I know this has now been discussed at length but if somebody could offer some advice (from recent experience) I would love to hear from them. This would be the difference between me obtaining CRS 460+ and likely getting an ITA promptly or having to settle for less than CRS 440 and having to wait in purgatory while SA possibly descends into anarchy (exaggeration, I know).

I have a Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Taxation from UP as well but didn't apply for it to be assessed because didn't think it necessary (should I rethink this?)

Sorry for the long, dramatic post.

Thank you in advance!

MaryJane
3 hours ago, Ominous_Hashtag said:

I have a Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Taxation from UP as well but didn't apply for it to be assessed because didn't think it necessary (should I rethink this?)

I'd say yes to this, if it's more than a 6-month course. Every bit helps, right?

Ominous_Hashtag
5 minutes ago, MaryJane said:

I'd say yes to this, if it's more than a 6-month course. Every bit helps, right?

It was a 12 month course. You are probably right, I guess I should contact WES and modify my order.

Thanks MJ

Ominous_Hashtag

My WES report has been finalized and states at the top:

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY

Bachelor's degree (three years) and bachelor's degree (four years)

It doesn't state anything about qualifications being stated in conjunction with each other and seems to acknowledge the two qualifications completely separately. The WES report read together with the instructions on CIC  (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp) seem to indicate to me that this should qualify for Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees but I'm still not sure after reading everyone's comments. Will have to think this one through carefully.

W-T

If your WES reports states at the top two degrees then you are good to go. You can also check what ChrisG has posted in this thread. His degree was assessed as two and it is indicated by two lines on the top of your WES report.

On another note I had a long fight with WES regarding my CTA and at the end of the day it looks like I got the extra points for it. It took them like 3 months to revise and update my report. But I never claimed the points as I used the PNP points to boost my score.

Good luck!

• Like 1

AngeliqueMcW

Hi all,

At the top of my WES assessment it states:

Bachelor's degree (three years) and two bachelor's degrees (four years)

So which should I choose:

• Bachelor's degree OR a three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute; or
  • Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more year.

Would appreciate the clarification.

RossW
On 5/8/2015 at 11:13 AM, ChrisG said:

Hi Thinus

I believe I can help on this a bit.

Look at the top of your WES report. It should state the following if you want to claim for two degrees:

Two bachelor's degree (four years)

Both my wife and I had WES reports done recently. She has an Honours in Media and Communications and her report states that it is just one Bachelor's Degree (four years).

I have the following.

1. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution Country: South Africa Credential: Bachelor of Social Science Year: 2007 Awarded by: University of KwaZulu-Natal Institution Status: Recognized Major/Specialization: Sociology and Psychology Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (three years)

2. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution Country: South Africa Credential: Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Year: 2010 Awarded by: University of South Africa - UNISA Institution Status: Recognized Major/Specialization: Sociology Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

3. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution Country: South Africa Credential: Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Year: 2011 Awarded by: University of South Africa - UNISA Institution Status: Recognized Major/Specialization: Psychology Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

I hope that helps clarify on how you can claim points for education.

It is quite tricky. I was also hoping my wife would get to claim for the extra 25 points as every point seems to count now.

ChrisG and all,

I have an interesting predicament which follows on your post from back in 2015.

I am one of those who hold a BCom and a MSc. I received my report back earlier this afternoon from WES. See attached image.

It would appear to me that WES has taken my BCom and BSc to be the same equivalent as the summary says I have a Master's degree. No differentiation between commerce and science.

WES.PNG

tarinerk

Hi. @RossW

A Master's degree scores more points on EE than two or more degrees, so you can score the most points with this, except for a Phd. As soon as you complete your profile you will see the options available. I hope that addresses your predicament.  Good luck with the process!

Edited by tarinerk
  • Like 1

RossW
13 hours ago, tarinerk said:

Hi. @RossW

A Master's degree scores more points on EE than two or more degrees, so you can score the most points with this, except for a Phd. As soon as you complete your profile you will see the options available. I hope that addresses your predicament.  Good luck with the process!

Hi @tarinerk

It does. I went and poured over the information on the website last night and found out exactly what you said. Thanks.

• Like 2

Cat and Don

Hi everyone. Did any one use the standard delivery fee option from WES? Any experience with the best approach for delivery?

Cath

FaithFUL
2 hours ago, Cat and Don said:

Hi everyone. Did any one use the standard delivery fee option from WES? Any experience with the best approach for delivery?

Cath

Hi Cath

We opted for the postal service route. It took about 2 weeks from when WES posted it till when we received it. Others might say don't chance it, rather use the courier option.

tarinerk

Hi @Cat and Don

We used the courier option. I was so afraid that this very important document got lost in our postal service. We rarely receive any post these days. We personally felt it was worth to pay extra and be sure we receive it safely! 

Good luck ? 

Cat and Don

Thanks @WannaB Expat @tarinerk

we'll have to consider the options now ? either way we know one will get here sooner than later.

RossW

For what it is worth, I selected the postal option. Trying to keep costs to a minimum currently and I'm not in a huge hurry for the document. I've got the information I need so happy to wait.

Cat and Don

Thanks @RossW

I also don't mind waiting. I guess the time it will take us to do our language test and get the results, the WES docs should then arrive.

• Like 1

RossW
On 4/19/2016 at 4:42 PM, Cat and Don said:

Thanks @RossW

I also don't mind waiting. I guess the time it will take us to do our language test and get the results, the WES docs should then arrive.

@Cat and Don

Some feedback on WES report.

Received said documents today. Postage date was 12 April 2016. Not bad considering that is 10 days total and not business days.

Cat and Don

@RossW

Thanks so much!  That really isn't bad at all!

RossW

Hi again guys,

I've run into a snag concerning my fiance's WES.

She has a Ph.D and WES has additional criteria when evaluting this. See image included.

The Ph.D was completed at Wits around 2007 - she did tell me but I seem to have had a case of selective memory. My fiance is adamant that Wits did not issue such a letter and despite speaking to people at Wits, she says no one can help her.

Any suggestions as to what we could do?

PhD requirements.PNG

PaulD
57 minutes ago, RossW said:

Hi again guys,

I've run into a snag concerning my fiance's WES.

She has a Ph.D and WES has additional criteria when evaluting this. See image included.

The Ph.D was completed at Wits around 2007 - she did tell me but I seem to have had a case of selective memory. My fiance is adamant that Wits did not issue such a letter and despite speaking to people at Wits, she says no one can help her.

Any suggestions as to what we could do?

PhD requirements.PNG

I did my Phd verification through WES last year.  Degree awarded by UCT.  They also do not provide letter of confirmation.  I sent a copy of my degree and arranged for UCT records to provide transcripts in a sealed envelope and addressed to the appropriate WES office.  I paid for courier.

WES verified my degree.  

Maybe to be safe include a letter explaining that WITS does not provide the required letter . What else can you do?

RossW

Life-saver @PaulD!

I'll that a bash and get the documents off Monday next week.

Frank

Hi guys, 

I know this question has been asked ad infinitum. But please just confirm please.

I received my provisional WES results back.  Below is what it states.

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS 

1 Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution 

Credential: Baccalaureus Scientiae(Bachelor of Science) 

Year: 2010

Awarded by: University of Pretoria

Institution Status: Recognized 

Major/Specialization: Quantity Surveying 

Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (three years) 

2 Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution 

Credential: Baccalaureus Scientiae Honores(Bachelor of Science (Honours)) 

Year: 2013

Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years) 

Am I correct in choosing two degrees on my EE profile?

Edited by Frank

Kadisova
On 3/28/2016 at 7:51 AM, Ominous_Hashtag said:

My WES report has been finalized and states at the top:

It doesn't state anything about qualifications being stated in conjunction with each other and seems to acknowledge the two qualifications completely separately. The WES report read together with the instructions on CIC  (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp) seem to indicate to me that this should qualify for Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees but I'm still not sure after reading everyone's comments. Will have to think this one through carefully.

Hi, Ominous_Hashtag

I have received exactly the same evaluation for my Bachelor's and Honours degrees.

I have filled in two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees in EE and received an ITA. Could you, please, share your experience on this subject. I don't know what to do, whether to decline the ITA or to proceed with the WES Canadian Equivalency Summary, which looks confusing.

Kadisova
On 6/22/2016 at 6:56 PM, Frank said:

Hi guys, 

I know this question has been asked ad infinitum. But please just confirm please.

I received my provisional WES results back.  Below is what it states.

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS 

1 Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution 

Credential: Baccalaureus Scientiae(Bachelor of Science) 

Year: 2010

Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (three years) 

2 Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution 

Credential: Baccalaureus Scientiae Honores(Bachelor of Science (Honours)) 

Year: 2013

Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years) 

Am I correct in choosing two degrees on my EE profile?

Hi, Frank

I am having the same issue with WES. I am not sure what to do. I have received the ITA based on two or more degrees, but not convinced this evaluation was correct. Have you found some answers?

Frank

A friend of mine's got rejected, she has a degree in HR management and honors in psychology and CIC evaluated it as one degree. She had her immigration lawyer fight her case for two degrees without success, fortunately they let her back in the pool and with the lower scores recently she has received an ITA. 

hopefully yours is accepted, else just argue that you made an honest mistake and will "gladly" go back into the pool and wait your turn with the lower score

please give us some feedback on what you did and what CIC evaluated 

Kadisova
6 minutes ago, Frank said:

A friend of mine's got rejected, she has a degree in HR management and honors in psychology and CIC evaluated it as one degree. She had her immigration lawyer fight her case for two degrees without success, fortunately they let her back in the pool and with the lower scores recently she has received an ITA. 

hopefully yours is accepted, else just argue that you made an honest mistake and will "gladly" go back into the pool and wait your turn with the lower score

please give us some feedback on what you did and what CIC evaluated 

So what have you done with your WES assessment? Have you submitted the EE application with one degree, regardless of the WES assessment?