Sign in to follow this  
W-T

WES Credential Assessment

Raquel

So RnR you selected the latter one, ie two or more degrees? Interesting. Maybe we must start a thread of all CA(SA)s WES assessments lol or maybe we already have

Do you think I can go and update mine to bump up my points (desperation) Although on CanadaVisa forum some people have indicated that with a Masters, their application for PR has been cancelled as they did not have their undergrads assessed. Now that would seriously suck!

My personal advice would be to rather be safe than sorry!

Are you really willing to put your future on the line by bumping up your points and risk being told you are not allowed entry for the next 5 years (due to misrepresentation), when you could wait it out a few months longer with the current points?!

I started this thread to get answers on getting the CA (SA) designation evaluated - may be of interest if you're a CA - http://www.sacanada.org/topic/19172-ca-sa-credential-evaluation-difficulties-help/#entry143032

Edited by Raquel

Sideline

I would blame it on how WES understands it. To us we already have the degree and the Honours is an additional year of studying. Which certifies it as a post graduate certificate in my mind.

They should classify that as that but for some reason they don't. I definitely do not have two bachelor's degrees in my mind. I just did Honours degrees in both my major subjects yet they see it as two degrees.

I know there are other places that are qualified to do ECA. University of Toronto being one of them so there is always the option of sending your stuff there to have it assessed.

Nope, there is NO way WES is not understanding it correctly.

Remember you are thinking in SA terms. WES evaluates it EQUIVALENT TO (what would it be had you studied the same subject in Canada).

This does not automatically ensure your education is accepted in Canada, it is just referred to as the "similar type of study" in Canada.

So WES job is to recommend and "qualify" you as if you had studied in Canada. Remember Canadian employers look at "Canadian" education to see that "Canadian experience".

Canada is a very different beast to understand, and this is why the now mandatory WES (or other evaluation center) to make sure you don't end up here with assumptions. This is one of the biggest issues immigrants have had in the past. They "assumed" they have the qualifications when in fact in Canadian standards they just don't. The CIC personnel are not trained to evaluate your education thus they now ask for independent evaluation to ensure you can intergrate easier.

No use in "lying" to yourself and entering Canada with rose tinted glasses just to be rejected and then you end up "failing" in the Canadian system.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you know my style :)

I do hope this helps everyone.

Edited by Sideline

Sideline

Also an Honours degree in SA is not the same as an honours degree in Canada. Technically an honours degree does not exist in Canada the same way it does in SA. In SA a BA degree can/is 4 years. In Canada it's 3 years and the "hounours" section an additional 1 year, thus making it the 4 years in SA.

Thus in SA you feel you have 2 degrees, in Canada you have a "single" degree (in the same field) BUT it's at a higher level of 4 years (above the usual 3 year degree in Canada).

Like I said above, Canada is a very different beast to understand, especially in the education side. The courses/degrees here are really different from both structure and course work.

Read here

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor%27s_degree (scroll down and see SA and Canada links :) )

Edited by Sideline

Jules

Sideline is correct.

ChrisG

Also an Honours degree in SA is not the same as an honours degree in Canada. Technically an honours degree does not exist in Canada the same way it does in SA. In SA a BA degree can/is 4 years. In Canada it's 3 years and the "hounours" section an additional 1 year, thus making it the 4 years in SA.

Thus in SA you feel you have 2 degrees, in Canada you have a "single" degree (in the same field) BUT it's at a higher level of 4 years (above the usual 3 year degree in Canada).

Like I said above, Canada is a very different beast to understand, especially in the education side. The courses/degrees here are really different from both structure and course work.

Read here

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor%27s_degree (scroll down and see SA and Canada links :) )

I understand what you are saying.

I agree that WES is probably right but let me use my case as an example. I have ONE Bachelor's Degree with majors in Sociology and Psychology. I then did an Honours degree in both which equal 5 years of study in South Africa (3 year Bachelor Degree and 1 year for each Honours degree).

WES stated in their evaluation of my degrees that I have TWO Bachelor's Degrees (4 years each). If this is the case, then clearly South African standards are higher than theirs if I read the report correctly.

That is just my take on it.

Other than that, I appreciate your honesty :) Always do. Just a correction on what you said. Canada has three and four year bachelor degrees as my wife got an equivalent to their three year Bachelor Degree. I do believe they have no such thing as an Honours Degree which is where all the confusion comes in.

All the best to the guys that still have to do this. Such an important thing to get points and it is stressful.

Sideline

I understand what you are saying.

I agree that WES is probably right but let me use my case as an example. I have ONE Bachelor's Degree with majors in Sociology and Psychology. I then did an Honours degree in both which equal 5 years of study in South Africa (3 year Bachelor Degree and 1 year for each Honours degree).

WES stated in their evaluation of my degrees that I have TWO Bachelor's Degrees (4 years each). If this is the case, then clearly South African standards are higher than theirs if I read the report correctly.

That is just my take on it.

Other than that, I appreciate your honesty :) Always do. Just a correction on what you said. Canada has three and four year bachelor degrees as my wife got an equivalent to their three year Bachelor Degree. I do believe they have no such thing as an Honours Degree which is where all the confusion comes in.

Well, there in lies the "representation" conundrum :)

Canada/Wes see your three year Bachelors as the one degree (3 years in Canada terms) plus your 1 year Honours in sociology as the 4th year (thus a 4 year bachelors equivilent in Canada) THEN the 3 years PLUS 1 year for Honours for Psychology making it a 2nd fourth year bachelors in Canada. It's the same "undergrad 3 years" used as the base line, but the two extra "Honours" degrees are the (2) degrees in Canadian Standards. It's not like if you majored in either then choose to study the other you would redo the first three years to get the second one again?

Your wife did a single degree of 3 or 4 years in SA and that is EQUIVILENT to a 3 year bachelors in Canada.

Make sense? It's confusing to say the least, but it's not actually wrong :)

Edited by Sideline

Your explanation is correct Sideline. My daughter just completed her 4th year at university. They just do things differently here. Better come prepared than misinformed.

MissusVeeDee

Can anyone tell me what time frame we are looking at with the WES assessment? Will it take weeks, months, or is each case unique?

Raquel

Can anyone tell me what time frame we are looking at with the WES assessment? Will it take weeks, months, or is each case unique?

I seem to remember that 20 working days from receipt of all documentation rings a bell - but we received it in 2 weeks I think.

See link for a guideline:

http://www.wes.org/ca/fswp/faq/

Edited by Raquel
  • Like 2

Odendaal

I can vouch for that, Raquel!

• Like 2

MissusVeeDee

Thanks Raquel

Wow that is very quick! I'm impressed.

Raquel

You are most welcome MissusVeeDee! :)

Mine was two weeks and one day from when I sent my docs until I had the report back in my hands. Note this is for WES. The other company apparently is cheaper, but then we are talking months.

PRApp

Hi guys.

I also have a BCOM degree en honours (internal

Auditing). Wes also assessed it as 4 years bachelors.

We had a whole debate with our immigration lawyer on what we should choose. We eventually sent in query to Wes to determine what I should choose. I will keep you guys posted when we have an answer. In the meanwhile we just choose Bachelors degree on EE profile. Hope that we could change it to"Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years".

I also have CIA (certified internal auditor) certificate from the global institute of Internal auditors and was hoping that could be my "second certificate". How do I go about getting CIA assessed by wes?

W-T

Hi guys.

I also have a BCOM degree en honours (internal

Auditing). Wes also assessed it as 4 years bachelors.

We had a whole debate with our immigration lawyer on what we should choose. We eventually sent in query to Wes to determine what I should choose. I will keep you guys posted when we have an answer. In the meanwhile we just choose Bachelors degree on EE profile. Hope that we could change it to"Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years".

I also have CIA (certified internal auditor) certificate from the global institute of Internal auditors and was hoping that could be my "second certificate". How do I go about getting CIA assessed by wes?

Hi according to my knowledge WES will only assess degrees / diplomas etc. Professional certifications like CIA / CA are not assessed by them. There would be a lot of happy people in this forum if they did.

Please let us know what WES says and good luck!

ChrisG

Hi guys

Just a question from my side related to Express Entry and the ECA report. In the area where it asks you to fill in your educational history. Do you put in what the report says or do you put in your actual credentials?

W-T

Hi guys

Just a question from my side related to Express Entry and the ECA report. In the area where it asks you to fill in your educational history. Do you put in what the report says or do you put in your actual credentials?

Hi,

I have used my actual credentials for the education history. And where it asks for the Canadian equivalent I have used the WES results.

• Like 1

Raquel

I have done the same as W-T...

M-N

Same here. you need to put your actual credentials and then your equivalency for WES and the WES number.

KarinS

If anybody can help, it would be appreciated. Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I am more confused than ever.

I just submitted Alan's profile and noticed that he got 50 points for Skills transferabililty/education. I am now worried that it is too much.

His Masters degree and 4 year Bachelors/Honours both appear on the WES assessment as Canadian equivalents, although the top of the document has a heading: Canadian Equivalent - Masters Degree.

When I completed the profile, I put in first the Bachelors/ Honours and then the Masters. I basically just answered their "questions" truthfully, but am now concerned that based on discussions on here, I should only have listed the Masters? We do not need the extra points since Alan has a job and quite high points. I am worried that they will "disqualify" us if I did this wrong (it would be a bit unreasonable in my opinion if this happens, since it is not very clear how to do this!). Any advice would be appreciate. Thank you!

KarinS

To answer my own question: we have decided to only put the Masters degree on the application since as per Alan - you could not get the Masters without the undergrad studies, so it is really only one degree. Problem solved:)

• Like 2

Sideline

You will be fine. You listed the degrees and they will just look at the highest one anyway. Don't worry about it.

As a note, that Canadian equivilent - Masters Degree. This is where people make a BIG mistake. ALL WES have done is said that based on the course material and degree subjects etc, you have a Masters degree that is equivilent to a Canadian degree. So HAD YOU STUDIED IN CANADA the degree is at a similar level.

IT IS NOT A CANADIAN RECOGNIZED DEGREE. This is a VERY VERY NB!! Thing to understand. Especially if you are in a regulated profession or trade that requires certification and membership. Even though you have a Masters Degree, it does not mean it will be accepted in Canada. They are just saying that you did enough work and the subjects were sufficient to be like the Canadian course, but again it IS NOT CANADIAN.

Just to clarify that for everyone.

KarinS

Thanks Sideline. What concerned me was that Alan was awarded 25 extra points for the extra degree. I have now deleted the undergrad degree. They really do not make it very clear! They just ask about all the qualifications, so it would be a bit rough if they see it as not being honest!

Regarding the Masters - Alan still has to start the process of registering with the professional council in Alberta. Apparently that is also quite a process. I assume it will be okay though, if I look how many South Africans in his line of work are employed here! Hope I am not wrong!

Sideline

Karin,

Yes that is true. The clear as mud instructions of gvmnt agencies :)

As for finding work, that is never an issue if you have the experience and the qualifications. It's just "some" places like to "Canadian experience" excuse immigrants from getting a job...

I will be writing a whole section on this soon, just gathering the last of the info to compare and illustrate.

Btw, a HUGE plus factor in salary options is the degrees and qualifications people have. Even being (not Canadian) there is still huge respect for well educated people in any industry. It's the difference of starting at the bottom of a salary range or getting more to the median (middle) or top end of earnings. Again I'll expand on this in the next post I write. :)

• Like 2

KarinS

Sideline

I look forward to your upcoming posts! I will be starting the job search in the next couple of months, so find all these discussions very helpful.