Sign in to follow this  
W-T

WES Credential Assessment

W-T

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here that needs help from the experts :)

I am busy submitting my EE profile and I am confused by the WES assessment report. The report states the following:

1. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution

Credential: Baccalaureus in Accounting
Year: 2002
Awarded by: University of the Free State
Institution Status: Recognized
Major/Specialization: Accounting
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (three years)

2. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Honours Baccalaureus
Year: 2003
Awarded by: University of the Free State
Institution Status: Recognized
Major/Specialization: Accounting
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)
Remarks: The equivalency for this credential is stated in conjunction with
study previously completed (see #1 above).

Based on the above should I select:

• Bachelor's degree OR a three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute; or
  • Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more year.

Obviously I would like to go with the second option as this entitles me to score an extra 25 points under the skills transferability section....

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Thinus

Raquel

Hi Thinus

This is a very good question. :mellow:

So my WES evaluation looks exactly as above with a final equivalency of "Bachelor's degree (four years)" as well.

I was also unsure as to which option I should have chosen.

I am of the opinion that I have two degrees (as this is how it is viewed in RSA), however based on the fact that is says a Bcom degree of four years AND to be safe (as I did not want to be accused of misrepresentation :)) I went with the prudent (lol :blush: ) option of "Bachelor's degree OR a three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute".

I would rather be invited to apply on a lower number of points and have this adjusted upwards by CIC, than be invited with a higher number of points and then being denied because you actually did not meet the points threshold of the invitation or WORSE risk being accused of lying to maximise points and being banned from entry in Canada for how many ever years!

Would be interested to know what others think...

Qrios1

W-T Racquel is correct. It is assessed as a 4 year degree. I have exactly the same assessment from WES, but I did my honours through UNISA. You should thus select three or more year degree. I also always believed we have two degrees but its not really the case. The issue of two degrees comes in where one does eg. a B.Com (3 years) and later a B.Eng (4 years) if you have changed career paths.

• Like 1

ChrisG

Hi Thinus

I believe I can help on this a bit.

Look at the top of your WES report. It should state the following if you want to claim for two degrees:

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Two bachelor's degree (four years)

Both my wife and I had WES reports done recently. She has an Honours in Media and Communications and her report states that it is just one Bachelor's Degree (four years).

I have the following.

1. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution Country: South Africa Credential: Bachelor of Social Science Year: 2007 Awarded by: University of KwaZulu-Natal Institution Status: Recognized Major/Specialization: Sociology and Psychology Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (three years)

2. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution Country: South Africa Credential: Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Year: 2010 Awarded by: University of South Africa - UNISA Institution Status: Recognized Major/Specialization: Sociology Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

3. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution Country: South Africa Credential: Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Year: 2011 Awarded by: University of South Africa - UNISA Institution Status: Recognized Major/Specialization: Psychology Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

I hope that helps clarify on how you can claim points for education.

It is quite tricky. I was also hoping my wife would get to claim for the extra 25 points as every point seems to count now.

• Like 1

Raquel

Thanks Chris - I think that clears it up.

It should be the first option: Bachelor's degree OR a three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute.

Whew - glad I picked the correct one :ilikeit: was hoping I didn't have to withdraw my entire profile and start from scratch! :)

Raquel

Amazing forum - 1h and 38 mins to get an answer! :clown:

Thanks guys...

ChrisG

Your welcome. It seems to be a hot debate on other forums (Canadavisa.com). People want to claim and then they get refused entry due to false information. Again, clogging up the process for everyone else if people don't fill in the correct info.

I'll be writing my IELTS at the end of this month so will be in the pool by mid June hopefully :)

W-T

Thanks Chris

I was really hoping for the second option :cry:

But I cannot fault your logic.

Guess I will have settle for less points now!

Raquel

Your welcome. It seems to be a hot debate on other forums (Canadavisa.com). People want to claim and then they get refused entry due to false information. Again, clogging up the process for everyone else if people don't fill in the correct info.

I'll be writing my IELTS at the end of this month so will be in the pool by mid June hopefully :)

My fears exactly!!!

Good luck with the IELTS - hubby writing his tomorrow to boost our points!!! Holding thumbs for top marks... :grad:

W-T

Chris - Good luck with the IELTS exam!

Edited by W-T
  • Like 2

Qrios1

My fears exactly!!!

Good luck with the IELTS - hubby writing his tomorrow to boost our points!!! Holding thumbs for top marks... :grad:

Has your hubby done IELTS before? our scores are similar. Should he get CLB 9 in all his bands, its an additional 20 points there. I hope we get ITA soon. Seems like the old system you were almost guaranteed PR should the cap not have been filled. I am reading all the other guys Oct/Nov/Dec post and its inspiring and depressing at the same time (hope you guys can relate and understand what I mean)

• Like 1

ChrisG

Thanks Chris

I was really hoping for the second option :cry:

But I cannot fault your logic.

Guess I will have settle for less points now!

I know :( That second option puts our points over 450 if we get CLB 9 or higher in our IELTS. So I know how important that is.

You can always go study an extra year but I think by then you'll defintely have an invite :)

Raquel

Has your hubby done IELTS before? our scores are similar. Should he get CLB 9 in all his bands, its an additional 20 points there. I hope we get ITA soon. Seems like the old system you were almost guaranteed PR should the cap not have been filled. I am reading all the other guys Oct/Nov/Dec post and its inspiring and depressing at the same time (hope you guys can relate and understand what I mean)

Qrios - Hubby has not written IELTS before, but I am confident that he will do just fine! We are pushing for him to get CLB 9 to get us an extra 20 points as we really need it! ;)

I say a little prayer every Friday evening AND check every Saturday morning in the hope to have an e-mail entitled ITA in my inbox - :) lol!!! It is indeed very frustrating... there are a few of us with similar points and I think we should start a thread to track our progress once we receive the ITA.

Yes - as you can see from my signature I was a Dec applicant and wow have I been on a roller coaster ride! I can totally relate with the inspiring and excitement for others, while depressing at times for us! BUT our turn will come and we just need to hang in there!!! :hug:

• Like 1

W-T

I know :( That second option puts our points over 450 if we get CLB 9 or higher in our IELTS. So I know how important that is.

You can always go study an extra year but I think by then you'll defintely have an invite :)

Haha

I think I have done my fair bit of studying. Lets hope the next round of invites is in the low 400's

• Like 1

Raquel

Haha

I think I have done my fair bit of studying. Lets hope the next round of invites is in the low 400's

How about 400 - Tonight - that puts us all in! ;)

W-T

How about 400 - Tonight - that puts us all in! ;)

DEAL!!!

I will pay for the champagne

RnR

Thank you ALL for ruining my Friday!! :cry::cry: :cry: :cry:

I still think it could be either:

"Bachelor's degree OR a three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute" 112/120

OR

"Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years" 119/128 points

study previously completed (see #1 above).
Ms "RnR" at the same was awarded a Certificate in the Theory of Accountancy.

I can also clearly see the

"Bachelor's degree (four years)"

So two or more??!!

:badidea:

Edited by RnR

RnR

Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.

ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:

• Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • Study Toward a Master's Degree

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp

Am I totally crazy??

Maybe the problem lies with WES? Should we not enquire there?

Edited by RnR

W-T

ECA assessment results:

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:

• Graduate Certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma

Am I totally crazy??

RnR

I would really like to agree with you on this one.

In my case WES only awarded a four year bachelor's and I did not get any recognition for my Certificate in the Theory of Accountancy. I am of the opinion that WES made a mistake but I think it will be tough battle to win. There might be a bigger chance that the EE point requirements will drop to my current level before I can convince WES to update my report....

Raquel

ECA assessment results:

• Graduate Certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma

Am I totally crazy??

I agree with you RnR - Good luck trying to get hold of WES and explaining!!!!

I tried to clarify how to assess my CA credential.... but waste of my time...

I do think the problem lies with WES in the sense that they do not completely understand how our qualification is structured! :cry:

PS: sorry for ruining your Friday :hug:

Raquel

RnR

I would really like to agree with you on this one.

In my case WES only awarded a four year bachelor's and I did not get any recognition for my Certificate in the Theory of Accountancy. I am of the opinion that WES made a mistake but I think it will be tough battle to win. There might be a bigger chance that the EE point requirements will drop to my current level before I can convince WES to update my report....

Agreed!!!

Raquel

Thank you ALL for ruining my Friday!! :cry::cry: :cry: :cry:

I still think it could be either:

"Bachelor's degree OR a three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute" 112/120

OR

"Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years" 119/128 points

study previously completed (see #1 above). Ms "RnR" at the same was awarded a Certificate in the Theory of Accountancy.

I can also clearly see the

"Bachelor's degree (four years)"

So two or more??!!

:badidea:

I my case with WES - they refused to accept my CTA. I HAD TO submit my Honours degree document to have it assessed!

I did not get the comment in blue at all - yet I have my CTA!

So it appears that are some serious inconsistencies here! :cry:

Edited by Raquel

ChrisG

I would blame it on how WES understands it. To us we already have the degree and the Honours is an additional year of studying. Which certifies it as a post graduate certificate in my mind.

They should classify that as that but for some reason they don't. I definitely do not have two bachelor's degrees in my mind. I just did Honours degrees in both my major subjects yet they see it as two degrees.

I know there are other places that are qualified to do ECA. University of Toronto being one of them so there is always the option of sending your stuff there to have it assessed.

• Like 1

W-T

Tough decision..... To fight with WES or try another institution.

Here is to hoping that the required points will fall fast :unsure:

Qrios1

ECA assessment results:

• Graduate Certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma

Am I totally crazy??

So RnR you selected the latter one, ie two or more degrees? Interesting. Maybe we must start a thread of all CA(SA)s WES assessments lol or maybe we already have

Do you think I can go and update mine to bump up my points (desperation) Although on CanadaVisa forum some people have indicated that with a Masters, their application for PR has been cancelled as they did not have their undergrads assessed. Now that would seriously suck!