Sign in to follow this  
CTColette

List South African Medications Equivalent in Canada?

CTColette

So i've decided to start this threat because many South Africans are concerned that they might not get the same type of medication in Canada as in SA. I hope we can all list some of the non prescription medications we all seem to keep in our house for emergencies.

For those already settled in Canada, please help us find the matching Medication or what it is called in Canada and perhaps where this can be bought.

These are the items I usually keep at home:

Panado

Myprodol

Buscopan

Valoid

Imodium

Spasmend

Dicoflam

Celestamine tablets ( son is allergic and always handy to have)

Bisolvon (Cough syrup)

Please add to the list and lets start getting the alternatives available in Canada. :ilikeit:

CharleneK

Panado =Tylenol (acetaminophen)

Myprodol = No equivalent

Buscopan = Buscopan

Valoid = Gravol (dimenhydrinate)

Imodium = Imodium

Spasmend = No equivalent. Several other muscle relaxants available, such as Robaxacet.

Dicloflam = Voltaren, Toradol

Celestamine tablets ( son is allergic and always handy to have) = No equivalent (oral corticosteroids is rather dangerous to use regularly).

Bisolvon (Cough syrup) = No equivalen: try guaiphenesine.

• Like 1

Tracey22

Myprodol - ask the pharmacist for Tylenol 1. or get a script from your new doctor for Tylenol 3

Celestamine - ask your doctor for a script for Reactine. My son's pediatrician has prescribed my kids medication for their allergies. They treat childhood allergies here very differently thatn in SA. In SA, the kids were given celestamine - here they were given puffers.

Team R

Can anyone help with a Canada equivalent of Corenza C?

Nelline

Seriously - beware, especially if you're prone to sinus inflammation. It dries up your sinuses and can cause abscesses. My GP back in SA linked my sinus abscesses directly to using Corenza C and I had to take his word for it.

Try to find alternatives. :-) There may well be a good reason why there isn't a Canadian (or UK) equivalent to this.

Can anyone help with a Canada equivalent of Corenza C?

Edited by Nelline

CharleneK

Tracey, Myprodol is not the same as Tylenol 1, as Myprodol contains ibuprofen, wjich Tylenol 1 doesn't. I suppose you can combine a Tylenol 1 and an Advil/Motrin, for the same effect.

As a physician, I would really caution against using oral cortisone for allergies, unless they are extremely severe, and then only for 5-7 days. Oral cortisone can cause suppression of the adrenal glads, which can be very dangerous.

I'm not sure there is an equivalent for Corenza C. My "go-tos" for colds and flu are Advil Cold and Sinus for daytime, and Nyquil (Vicks Medinite) for nighttime, or Coricidin if you have high blood pressure. Reactine is the same as Zyrtec. There are many great over the counter antihistamines available in Canada.

Also, no Ponstan in Canada.

• Like 1

Jules

Charlene as our resident doctor on this forum what is your professional opinion on using Cold FX?

Raquel

So I suffer terribly with debilitating migraines, and I try to prevent and treat them naturally first by avoiding certain foods and taking herbal meds BUT sometimes I have to go to modern medicine and resort to two myprodols, a Zomig and lots and lots of sleep!!! So if our resident doctor could assist in providing effect replacements for Myprodols and Zomigs that would be much appreciated ;)

CharleneK

Cold FX: apparently no real evidence that it works, but personally, I swear by it! Raquel, there is Zomig and a bunch of similar triptans in Canada. Myprodol: Tylenol 1, 2 or 3 (you need prescriptions for 2 and 3) combined with ibuprofen should do the trick.

• Like 1

Raquel

Cold FX: apparently no real evidence that it works, but personally, I swear by it! Raquel, there is Zomig and re a bunch of similar triptans to in Canada. Myprodol: Tylenol 1, 2 or 3 (you need prescriptions for 2 and 3) combined with ibuprofen should do the trick.

Thank you Charlene. So glad to hear they have Zomig in Canada... My migraine savior I tell you! :ilikeit:

Edited by Raquel
  • Like 1

Charlene as our resident doctor on this forum what is your professional opinion on using Cold FX?

And I am Dr. Charlene's designated accounts payable. Please provide Credit Card info and we will post your answer.... :D

LOL @ Lawrence. Eish - that sounds like some good old South African "entrepreneurship" in action.

Edited by WernerC

Jules

LOL @ Lawrence. Eish - that sounds like some good of South African "entrepreneurship" in action.

The underground economy revealed lol

Jules

Cold FX: apparently no real evidence that it works, but personally, I swear by it! Raquel, there is Zomig and re a bunch of similar triptans to in Canada. Myprodol: Tylenol 1, 2 or 3 (you need prescriptions for 2 and 3) combined with ibuprofen should do the trick.

Thanks. We have found that a combination of ColdFx, echinacia, vitamin C, honey, ginger and lemon juice does seem to reduce the severity of a cold.
  • Like 1

CTColette

Is there specific vitamins that should be taken in preparation for winter and or during winter like vitamin D? I mention D because I read somewhere that it is needed because of Canada's short summer and some parts get very little sun light.

Perhaps vitamin B to help people through the grey winter months?

Cathy K

It is a very good idea to take vitamin D in winter. I also use vitamin B because I'm prone to anemia.

(Charlene is currently attending a conference in Baltimore.)

Oh my Cathy. Hope she is OK in Baltimore with everything happening there.....

CharleneK

Baltimore is just peachy! I have a great view of the Camden Yards (Baltimore Orioles baseball stadium) from my hotel window. The people in Baltimore are super friendly. It is as if they are trying to make up for the vandals and looters that marred this beautiful city.