Sign in to follow this  
Sanjith

Where to Live - Toronto - GTA

Sanjith

Hi - I am looking for some advice.

i am waiting for my WP to be issued but am tryi9ng to do some homework in the interim.

i will be working in the Markham Toronto and need to get an idea of where is a nice place to live.

i have narrowed it down to 4 places but am happy to consider more based on advice. i have a son who turns 6 this year so will start the school year in Canada. so school is a big art of my consideration.

so my choices to date are in the GTA:

Aurora

Strouffville

Whitchurch

Missasauga

Can somebody please give me some advice - it so hard to get an idea on this

Sanjith

Gavin Mac

Sanjith,

Markham and Toronto are about 30-35km from one another.

If you are going to work in Markham, you should look for a place to stay in Markham. Aurora is very nice but can be a bit expensive $500k+++.

Mississauga is a long way from Markham and could take you 1.5-2 hrs on the 401 on some days. Stouffville/ Whitchurch are more or less in the same area.

Just remember that on Google Maps places may seem just "up the road" from one another. The 401 is probably the busiest highway in North America running 8 x lanes in one direction at some points. Travelling in a westerly or Northerly direction in the morning is your best bet if you are driving. The GO train is brilliant if you are going to use public transport.

I I were you, I'd buy a house close to work as possible if the price suites your pocket.

MaryJane

I agree with Gavin Mac. Like him, I am also a Mississaugan. The everyday drive to Markham from Mississauga will not really be ideal. (Unless you're really dead set on Mississauga for some other reason).

As far as I know, Markham is a nice area as well. I echo Gavin's advice that it is better to live quite close to work or near easy access to public transport going to the other areas.

I'll let the people of Markham tell you more about their area. ?

Good luck on the search!

Jules

I've heard that Markham has a sizable SA community - along the lines of Oakville in terms of # of SAns.

debs

I echo the above - Mississauga will be a looong commute to Markham, not worth it. Not sure of your budget, but you could also look at Richmond Hill and Vaughan which border Markham. The northern GTA cities of Vaughan - Richmond Hill - Vaughan are getting very expensive because of their proximity and accessibility to Toronto. (I live on the very east end of Vaughan, bordering Richmond Hill) and in my area, most detached houses go for $1m +. If we had not moved into the area 7 years ago, we'd definitely not be able to afford it now.

I'd say Aurora is more affordable than RH or Vaughan, you will get more house for your buck, even more so in Whitchurch-Stouffville. Going north of Aurora, look at Newmarket as well. The further north you go though, the busier the commute, as many families are doing the same. The 404 highway is the commute you'd be taking, and it's getting pretty brutal these days. My office is just off the 404 and traffic is getting crazy :(

GTA-Maps1.png

Where in Markham is your work? If you're in the "IT hub" area of Leslie/ Highway 7, you could also consider North York, or if you're closer to Markham city centre (Warden/ Highway 7), some parts of Scarborough (which is technically Toronto) aren't a bad option either. Yet another option would be Pickering which is east of Markham. This way you'd be going against the flow of traffic since most commuters are going south into Toronto.

Toronto-map-labeled.jpg

I suggest going on to realtor.ca - for search area, type in N11 and have a look around from there. You'll get an idea of house prices and look through photos to see what you'll be in for.

Here are the real estate areas and their search codes.

original.jpg

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about the York Region area.

Tracey22

If you are working in markham, you can find somewhere from Scarborough to vaughan. Markham is big, and the distances are vast, with roads that cannot support the traffic. You can find fairly decent priced homes North of Major Mac and in the Teston road area. In the map above, markham would be N10, N11, N12 and N13 (i think) King is a growing area as is Aurora, with good deals to be found. I love uxbridge. it is cute and picturesque with a lot of farms