Sign in to follow this  
wcvanzyl

unabridged berth certs

wcvanzyl

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how long an officially issued "unabridged birth certificate" or a "marriage certificate" remains valid?

I realise the "police clearance" certificate must not be older than 3 months from the date one applies, or so I've gathered.

We're considering the fast entry migration method and from a couple of years ago I still have these above certificates (original). Would they be acceptable considering they were officially issued, stamped, etc and nothing has changed?

thanks in advance

Werner

• Like 1

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how long an officially issued "unabridged birth certificate" or a "marriage certificate" remains valid?

I realise the "police clearance" certificate must not be older than 3 months from the date one applies, or so I've gathered.

We're considering the fast entry migration method and from a couple of years ago I still have these above certificates (original). Would they be acceptable considering they were officially issued, stamped, etc and nothing has changed?

thanks in advance

Werner

Birth certificates do not have an expiration date. :cowboy:

Helanie

Hi Werner,

To be honest I do not think the birth certificates OF marriage certificates have an expiration date unless your marriage status change and then this document will not longer be a reflection of your current marriage status.

We went to the Department of Home Affairs in Stellenbosch, Western Cape and we received an sms about 3 weeks later to say that our unabridged birth certificates were ready for collection. Once I got there they literally issue it on the spot (print it) so I do not know why it took 3 weeks but I am not complaining. :ilikeit: Just saying!

We had our original marriage certificate but we also applied for an unabridged marriage certificate just in case we might need it - which we did not need as yet - we went the same route - Dep. of Home Affairs in Stellenbosch. They never smsed me so I took the liberty after about 1 and 1/2 months and went in and just told them I am picking it up - once again they just issued it on the spot - printed it without a blink.

This was our experience here in the Western Cape but I do not know about other Department of Home Affairs in SA.

As far as the police clearance certificates - they are valid for 6 months at a time. If you have applied for a police clearance certificate and it is for example 5 months old - you can apply for a renewal of your police clearance certificate at Pretoria. Unfortunately our PCC was already 6 months old thus we had to apply for new ones. The first time we applied we did it ourselves / went the normal route - was very quick. But now we have decided to go with Doc Assist as we only have 60 days to get the PCC and do not want to run into any admin troubles.

Doc Assist can help you with PCC, Birth certificates and marriage certificates however it is not a cheap options but might save you time in the queue at Dep. of Home Affairs, going back and forth and the frustration.

Good luck with all the preparations! Exciting times ahead!! :D

• Like 1

Raquel

Hi Werner

All of the above is correct and applicable for the Home Affairs in JHB as well.

Good Luck! :)

• Like 1

klee4leel

Hello guys

To my surprise, I applied for mine the beginning of March.

After I read the above I phoned them to query if they are ready, I was told still in process.

It takes 6-8 weeks for the application

I think I used the wrong office.

Raquel

Hello guys

To my surprise, I applied for mine the beginning of March.

After I read the above I phoned them to query if they are ready, I was told still in process.

It takes 6-8 weeks for the application

I think I used the wrong office.

If I were you I would just pitch up at the office... To collect it! If you get asked whether u received an SMS, say yes!

We had a similar situation with our unabridged marriage cert. after three months, I just went to the office, and told them i was there to collect it... They asked me if I had received an SMS, I told them yes even though I hadn't! It was literally a matter of them printing and signing it as Helanie has mentioned! VERY frustrating that I had to talk nonsense for someone to do their job!!! :(

• Like 2

Helanie

I agree with Raquel! You have nothing to loose! Give it a try Klee4leel!!

• Like 1

wcvanzyl

Thanks Ingrid / Helanie / Raquel for your quick and very detailed replies !!

:) :) :) :) so glad to have joined this forum.

Although I've gone through one migration process before, the more things change...the more they stay the same B). May have to refer to doc assist for the police clearance. I'll most likely have to do one for SA and Australia, where I'm currently residing just to make things more complicated

• Like 1

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

With my initial post, I wanted to add the only way it expires is when replaced by a death certificate.

Even though it's true, that sounds rather glum, doesn't it? :ph34r::(

• Like 1

M-N

:) :) :) :) so glad to have joined this forum.

Although I've gone through one migration process before, the more things change...the more they stay the same B). May have to refer to doc assist for the police clearance. I'll most likely have to do one for SA and Australia, where I'm currently residing just to make things more complicated

I would definitely recommend DocAssist for the PCC. We actually got ours really quick. Saw it was registered on the 13 April and saw it was finalized on the 17th according to the SAPS website. So now we just waiting for it to be sent to DocAssist and then us. Pretty good.

• Like 2

klee4leel

Afternoon guys

Thanks so much for the above info.

I went in straight on Saturday, told them I got a text message. The printed them while I was waiting

Now the nerves for Saturday exams!

• Like 2

Nelline

Good for you! One more box ticked!

Good luck for Saturday

Afternoon guys

I went in straight on Saturday, told them I got a text message. The printed them while I was waiting

• Like 2

Raquel

Afternoon guys

Glad it's sorted! ;)

Good luck for Saturday! Remain calm and read carefully before answering! :) hubby also writing on Saturday... So will be thinking of you! Xxx

• Like 2

klee4leel

Thanks you guys!