Sign in to follow this  
warney

Express Entry with a 'Dual Intent' LMIA and TWP

warney

Hello to all u wonderful expats...super jealous of all of you are are already in Canada ? I know that it didn't come easy for most (if not all) of you.

I am hoping you can help me once again...

I'm in a bit of a pickle! The firm that I work for is restructuring and my employer wants me to relocate to our head office in Pretoria (I currently reside in Cape Town). I am reluctant to go since it may only be for another 6 months (preferably less) before I resign to take up my position in Calgary. Moving my family to Pretoria for 4-6 months really complicates things.

Now I know these immigration processes take time, and I was prepared to patiently wait it out, but this new "mini-crisis" calls for some serious re-strategizing.

Some of you will know that I have an offer of employment in Calgary, and it has been a year since our original application for the LMO. My prospective employer is hopeful that the LMIA will be issued within the next week or two

(according to their resources). Fingers Crossed! Anyway, let's say they do secure the LMIA in the next 2 weeks...will I then be able to secure a TWP within 3-4 months? That will be first prize...as I'm hoping to buy some time (2-3months at best) with regard to the Pretoria move. I really need to avoid having to relocate.

I have also registered my profile on MYCIC for the EXPRESS ENTRY (not yet submitted my application, since we don't have the LMIA yet). I would still like to apply through the Express Entry FSW program for PR. I can do this, according to CIC, but my employer will need to apply for the 'Dual Intent' LMIA http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-12-01.asp#16

The big question is: Will my prospective employer have the opportunity to make amendments to their current LMIA application or will they have to resubmit and play the waiting game all over again? Will there be an additional fee attached if they have already paid one and how long will that delay the application? Do I get a lawyer to assist me? Already enquired and its a hefty expense...something in the region of C$4000 just to assist with the TWP and TRV.

I don't suppose any of you know of someone who pulls rabbits out of hats in these situations...cos that's exactly what I need right now. ? Just out of curiosity, what is the fastest processing time for a TWP after securing the LMIA...in your experiences?

Again, thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Nelline

I've never heard of a dual intent LMIA so you learn something new everyday!

I'm guessing your employer won't be able to "amend" once submitted... CIC is funny that way, but I hope I'm wrong!

We did the TWP on the LMIA route, WP's were issued 10th of March after being submitted 20th of Jan.

Good luck.

Sorry not to be of much help here, but at least I've "bumped" your post in the hopes that someone else will be able to offer more insight!

Edited by Nelline

warney

Thanks Nelline,

Appreciate the bump :ilikeit:

Wow, 2 months after submission. That's what I'm hoping for.

I've been super patient with this LMIA (that has taken almost a year to process). I surrendered to the idea that these things take time. I've had a look at some of the other timelines and it seems that the average processing time is 12-16 weeks. So why has it taken my employer so long? I don't expect you to answer that...it's just something that's been keeping me up at night. My gut tells me to remain faithful that its gonna work out, and in the right time too. However, with the compromising situation that I've been put in this past week, I feel compelled to do something else...to look at alternatives or seek legal advice.

I've set up another consultation with Deanne from CanadaAbroad. I'm hoping she can shed some light on the situation...or better yet, pull some strings and help us secure the relative docs in the next 3-4 months. Feeling desperate!

Edited by warney
  • Like 2

milo23

Feel your pain. We got job offer in July last year. Upfront medicals done in Aug. LMIA issued on 23 Dec....but can't put WP application in in Pretoria until professional registration is completed in Saskatchewan. In the meantime we have no home, no job, no furniture and 1 car as we thought we'd be outta here by now.

On the WP timeline someone did have a WP processed in PTA in 2 months last year....hoping for 2 not 4 as well!!

M-N

Just hang in there. We're one of those people that had ours TWP in 2 months. We did upfront medicals and PCC and also handed in our passports with the application (we submitted at VFS) so we just had to wait to pick up Passports. However, in actual fact it took us over a year to get the point where we could submit. We had some frustrating hiccups and our lives were upside down. We were lucky in the fact that I was very honest with my SA employer and told them this from the beginning. Once I got the LMIA I officiay resigned ( we had 2 months notice period) and when my months were over, I stayed on as a consultant until it was time to leave.

We also stayed in our flat and only had to live with family the last 2 months as the flat got sold after our lease expired and we knew moving time was close. It was great because we got to spend some extra time with family and had a bit of a vacation before the big move.

It's majorly frustrating but it'll be all worth it. :)

• Like 1

Nelline

LMIA application went in 20th November and was issued 7th of Jan. I think that's average, so not sure what is the hold-up with yours? I really second your contacting Deanna, she may be able to offer some insight.

I've been super patient with this LMIA (that has taken almost a year to process). I surrendered to the idea that these things take time. I've had a look at some of the other timelines and it seems that the average processing time is 12-16 weeks.

warney

Nicky, you mentioned that u did the Medicals upfront, how did you go about doing this? VFS Global?

Edited by warney

warney

how does one delete a post?

Edited by warney

M-N

Nicky, you mentioned that u did the Medicals upfront, how did you go about doing this? VFS Global?

You can do it if you're applying for TWP. It's not advisable for PR as you don't lnow how long it'll take and it might expire before everything is done.

We made an appointment with one of the panel practitioners once we got the LMO. We just made an appoiment and went to see him. If the Dr. Has the e-medical system he'll complete the necessary info. If they don't (and you'll have to find out) you'll need a form from the CIC website.

He gives you a form that you have to submit with your application. We submitted our application through VFS Global. Was about R300+ extra and They send the application to the Commission .

I'm Replying from my phone so can't send you the link but you can find this info on the CIC website under TWP. Read through it carefully. This was just our experience (based on the CIC instructions).

M-N

Ps. Not sure of you are aware but VFS Global is just a middle man that accepts on-person application on behalf of the commission. They don't process they just courier it to the commission. I also think they only deal with visas and twp.

milo23

For upfront medicals we just made an appointment with one of the docs that does Canada medicals. Used Hatmed in Pretoria. Had a 2 wk wait for appointment. Rocked up with kids and passports and voila. A couple of hours and a few thousand rand poorer and it was done. They are logged online and valid for a year.

• Like 1

warney

Just got off the phone with my employer in Calgary. She said that when I have the positive LMIA and offer of employment letter, I can come right away and when I go through immigration I simply show them my LMIA and offer of employment and they will then issue me with a work permit. Is this true? Can I do this...or was it something that was possibly done in the past but not anymore?

Edit: Okay, found the answer:

One can only apply for a work permit at a port of entry when entering Canada if he/she is a citizen of a country that does not need a Visa to enter Canada. Unfortunately as a South African citizen, I will need a TRV and would therefore need to apply for a work permit outside of Canada. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp

Edited by warney

M-N

Just got off the phone with my employer in Calgary. She said that when I have the positive LMIA and offer of employment letter, I can come right away and when I go through immigration I simply show them my LMIA and offer of employment and they will then issue me with a work permit. Is this true? Can I do this...or was it something that was possibly done in the past but not anymore?

Not entirely true, if you only have an SA passport you'll still need to submit the TWP application. You will then get a TRV and will get a letter stating that you have been approved for a TWP. You will present the TRV and the letter together with the LMO to the immigration officers when you land. At least this was our experience. It sucks having an SA passport.

warney

Eish...this green passport is no good...and we can only apply for the TWP when we have the LMIA. So as things stand (should everything run smooth...which it never does)...the earliest that we can be in Calgary is mid-end of July. How's the weather in Calgary at that time of year?

Sideline

..the earliest that we can be in Calgary is mid-end of July. How's the weather in Calgary at that time of year?

Summer, hot (usually around 30 degrees), beautiful, awesome, long days & short nights (sun rises around 4am sets well after 11 pm). You basically get home from work and still have 6 hours to really enjoy the "afternoon" be it hiking, water skiing, playing outdoor sport, or simply just taking a long walk around the hundreds of km of pathways and green spaces to enjoy the tranquility of nature and your neighbourhood (and as a bonus you don't need to look behind every bush and tree for a mugger either :) )

Edited by Sideline
  • Like 2

M-N

Eish...this green passport is no good...and we can only apply for the TWP when we have the LMIA. So as things stand (should everything run smooth...which it never does)...the earliest that we can be in Calgary is mid-end of July.

Hang in there. It'll be over before you know it. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

warney

Summer, hot (usually around 30 degrees), beautiful, awesome, long days & short nights (sun rises around 4am sets well after 11 pm). You basically get home from work and still have 6 hours to really enjoy the "afternoon" be it hiking, water skiing, playing outdoor sport, or simply just taking a long walk around the hundreds of km of pathways and green spaces to enjoy the tranquility of nature and your neighbourhood (and as a bonus you don't need to look behind every bush and tree for a mugger either :) )

...oh man...sounds awesome! That is exactly why we are so desperate to get there asap. I know that one shouldn't wish the days away...but i feel like a school kid waiting for Christmas...and its only January.

Nelline

Correct. Your prospective employer, Warney, is partly right because people with passports where no TRV is needed CAN apply for their WP to be issued at port of entry. My husband did this on a UK passport. Unfortunately, the famous "green mamba" does not allow for this... eish!

Not entirely true, if you only have an SA passport you'll still need to submit the TWP application. You will then get a TRV and will get a letter stating that you have been approved for a TWP. You will present the TRV and the letter together with the LMO to the immigration officers when you land. At least this was our experience. It sucks having an SA passport.

milo23

Warney, apparently CIC website now says that Pretoria processing time for TWP is 5 mths although the Pretoria website itself still says 4!?

That is freaking me out!?

Jules

...oh man...sounds awesome! That is exactly why we are so desperate to get there asap. I know that one shouldn't wish the days away...but i feel like a school kid waiting for Christmas...and its only January.

I know there's a big time zone difference - it's already March over here ;-)

warney

I know there's a big time zone difference - it's already March over here ;-)

Yeah...its March here too...lol. But another 3-4 months feels to me like another 12 months...that's why I said Jan...with Christmas being 12 months away.

warney

Warney, apparently CIC website now says that Pretoria processing time for TWP is 5 mths although the Pretoria website itself still says 4!?

That is freaking me out!?

Yeah Milo23, it does say 5 months. I'm praying for 2! My son will be 2 in September as well...so I'm hoping we can get a flight out of here before he does...that's a $1200 savings right there (1 months rent).

• Like 1

Jules

Yeah...its March here too...lol. But another 3-4 months feels to me like another 12 months...that's why I said Jan...with Christmas being 12 months away.

LOL. Stupid me - I missed the joke. Sorry

:-)

milo23

@warney. Let's keep in touch... re our applications. R u planning to do online application? I wish we could only pay for 1 kid. ..mine are 5 and 3 so missed the boat on that one.

I want our 5 yr old to start grd 1 at the beginning of the year first week Sept. So would really love to be there by then. But this bloody license to practice is taking forever and costing the earth...when people complain about WES I think to myself you are infinitely lucky you didn't have to do it through the Medical Council of Canada! Our last 2 ( 4 in total) credential verifications were delivered by courier on the 9th of March and haven't been loaded on the system yet!

warney

Whoop whoop! Finally...the long wait is over. Positive LMIA received on 14 May. Hope to put in our EE profile this week...

• Like 2