Sign in to follow this  
Laurenwallace

Express Entry first draw - updates?!?

Nelline

True Denise, but CELPIP is only available from outside Canada if I remember correctly so anyone wanting to do it from inside Canada has only the IELTS option (I think)

Edited by Nelline

warney

Hi everyone. Lots of exciting news! Congrats to everyone who has been selected. My prospective employer informed me last week that they hope to secure the LMIA in the coming week (according to her correspondence with officials in Calgary). I created my online profile for the express entry today (whoop whoop...finally). There was one question that got me a little concerned...What available funds do u have to bring to Canada? We could probably get $40-50k if we sell our house, but that is something that we don't really want to do at this stage...other than that we won't have too much after paying for flights, freight and settling in etc. I also know that they won't accept any debt related funds (personal loans etc.) I also checked on the CIC web that an average of $11k+ is required for a family of 4. Do I then need to acquire these kind of funds before I submit my application? Or do I simply include what I think I will have available and that will be included in my assessment (score card)? Has anyone been in a similar situation or been given any clarity on the above? Confused!!!

Edited by warney

Hennie vdB

Warney, my situation was similar. I did not have the funds at time of application, so include an estimate of what you think your net worth will be at expected time of assesment. As long as it is more than the amount they specify, you are okay. You only have to show bank statement or similar as proof, so theoretically you could borrow any shortfall from family, and pay it back after you printed the bank statement. BUT, you will need the funds to settle here, and $11k does not go very far in Canada.

• Like 1

GrantM

True Denise, but CELPIP is only available from outside Canada if I remember correctly so anyone wanting to do it from inside Canada has only the IELTS option (I think)

Other way around :)

GrantM

Hi everyone. Lots of exciting news! Congrats to everyone who has been selected. My prospective employer informed me last week that they hope to secure the LMIA in the coming week (according to her correspondence with officials in Calgary). I created my online profile for the express entry today (whoop whoop...finally). There was one question that got me a little concerned...What available funds do u have to bring to Canada? We could probably get $40-50k if we sell our house, but that is something that we don't really want to do at this stage...other than that we won't have too much after paying for flights, freight and settling in etc. I also know that they won't accept any debt related funds (personal loans etc.) I also checked on the CIC web that an average of $11k+ is required for a family of 4. Do I then need to acquire these kind of funds before I submit my application? Or do I simply include what I think I will have available and that will be included in my assessment (score card)? Has anyone been in a similar situation or been given any clarity on the above? Confused!!!

For FSW 2014 you do not need to show proof of funds if you have a job lined up. Are you sure its not the same with EE?

warney

Thanks Hennie & Grant. They do ask the question in the EE application Grant. I just read that you do not need to show proof of funds if: you have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada AND you are currently working or authorized to work in Canada. I'm assuming that a valid job offer with a positive LMIA then exempts an applicant from having to provide proof of these funds. (I hope) I also read that the funds required for a family of 4 is $22k (Wow!)

Nelline

Thanks Grant!

Other way around :)

Nelline

Yes - if they ask you to upload proof of funds you will then upload your signed offer of employment instead.

Thanks Hennie & Grant. They do ask the question in the EE application Grant. I just read that you do not need to show proof of funds if: you have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada AND you are currently working or authorized to work in Canada. I'm assuming that a valid job offer with a positive LMIA then exempts an applicant from having to provide proof of these funds. (I hope) I also read that the funds required for a family of 4 is $22k (Wow!)

With regards to proof of funds, for FSW you had to show proof when you applied. We also didn't have the funds, but we used our house as proof. So a letter from our agent stating what we listed the house for, a bank statement of our mortgage and then the math was simple and that was our proof of funds. We got Per that way and once our house was sold we just printed a bank statement which reflected the funds.

The amount needed depends on family size. For two people it's about $15k.

I think Grant is right.... Do you need to show proof of funds with a job offer?

M-N

With regards to proof of funds, for FSW you had to show proof when you applied. We also didn't have the funds, but we used our house as proof. So a letter from our agent stating what we listed the house for, a bank statement of our mortgage and then the math was simple and that was our proof of funds. We got Per that way and once our house was sold we just printed a bank statement which reflected the funds.

The amount needed depends on family size. For two people it's about $15k.

I think Grant is right.... Do you need to show proof of funds with a job offer?

We didn't have to show proof of funds for the TWP. I think the catch is that you do need the positive LMIA too unless the job type is LMIA exempt. I'd imagine this would be true for FSW but I could be wrong. I'm sure someone here could confirm.

M-N

Just want to ask, is there a difference between the LMO and the LMIA? My LMO expired in December 2014 but I already received my TWP and I'm working in Canada. Can I create my profile with that LMO seeing as it was the LMO that I used to get the TWP or does my employer have to reapply for a LMIA before I can finish my EE profile?

Sparky2

M-N, that is my position exactly. I applied with the LMO from my 2014 job offer.

M-N

M-N, that is my position exactly. I applied with the LMO from my 2014 job offer.

Thanks, I've been following this thread but it might help if I actually read :whistling: See both you and Lauren used the LMO. Great news.

Laurenwallace

My understanding is that the LMO and the LMIA are one and the same thing, only the LMIA is the new LMO. So for those of us that came to Canada before the LMIA came into existence, we will apply for our PR with the LMO and letter of employment (a letter from your employer stating that you have permanent employment once PR is received) if you don't have an LMO, you need an LMIA. That's my understanding of this anyway....

warney

Thanks to everyone for all the info.

My employer was really excited about the prospect of me starting work in the next month or two. My wife and I both think it will probably be beneficial to go ahead of her and the kids so that I can get settled and sort out accommodation etc. before they join me.

Found this bit of info on CIC

Employers who need a worker to start before the permanent resident visa is processed, can apply for a dual intent Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Note that in this type of situation, an employer will need to pay the LMIA processing fee. A dual intent LMIA means a person can come to Canada as a temporary foreign worker (TFW) first and work while they wait for a decision on their permanent residence application. In this case, a candidate must still apply for a work permit and meet the requirements for TFWs.

I'm hoping we won't have to reapply for this LMIA, and that its just a matter of paying the additional fee as an 'add-on' to the already secured LMIA.

Has anyone else had to apply for a 'dual intent' LMIA? What was your experience?

M-N

Hey,

Quick question: Anyone here write CELPIP? When I complete the EE profile they ask for the Certificate number. Any idea what that is? We're waiting for our physical certificate but got the online results. I can only see the registration number.

Thanks,

Nicky

Nelline

@ NIcky I had to wait for the physical certificate (IELTS) to arrive in the post to get a certificate number as it did not appear on the online results.

M-N

@ NIcky I had to wait for the physical certificate (IELTS) to arrive in the post to get a certificate number as it did not appear on the online results.

Thanks Nelline! :ilikeit: Figured as much. Ah well, should be here soon. Got our WES results too we are close to be able to submit out profile. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

M-N

Ok, so we managed to submit our EE profile after getting our WES and CELPIP results back. Both M and myself got our degrees recognized and we both got really high scores for the CELPIP. I have a valid job offer and an LMO too. Just got an email from CIC stating that we are not eligible for the EE. :badidea:

My question is: What gives? Did I do something wrong? This is what I got:

You are not eligible for Express Entry
To qualify for Express Entry, you must meet the minimum eligibility criteria for the Federal Skilled Worker
Program, and/or the Federal Skilled Trades Program and/or the Canadian Experience Class. Based on your
profile, you do not meet the minimum eligibility criteria for any of these programs. Reasons you would not be
eligible for Express Entry include:
• not having a valid language test
• language test results that are more than two years old
• a language test score that is too low
• not having enough relevant work experience
• not having the required education level
• not having enough funds
If you still want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant, you can take steps to improve your qualifications and
register for Express Entry at a later date. For example, you may try to improve your language score or gain a
higher level of education.
I really do not know what went wrong. We competed everything and M even went over it twice just to be sure.
Any advise?
Thanks,
Nicky

Sideline

1) Your skills are not on the NOC list for level O/A/B that will get you onto the FSW track.

Read here for some info

http://www.sacanada.org/topic/18871-question-about-pr-for-all-people-on-a-work-permit/

Direct link to skills matrix

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/html/matrix.html

2) Your skills are not in the trades list (plumbers, artisans etc)

3) You don't have 1 or more years Canadian work experience.

NB! On a WP already active and you are in Canada, you need to complete 1 year work experience here :).

With out a WP and back in SA with a job offer you just get a WP issued, but still arrive here with a WP and the "risks" often discussed.

Oh btw your work experience MUST be on that skills matrix of O/A/B levels, thus be "relevant" work experience. Very, very NB! This last part.

4) You are not under any Provincial Nomination Program.

Remember folks EE is just a "shortcut" to the usual programs. You still need to meet one of those criteria.

EE is not a special way to get past these things, it's just a "new" way to force people to get their paperwork sorted out before applying, thus if your profile matches and you qualify, you are invited to apply and you are "almost there" meaning CIC just needs to confirm your details. This is what "speeds up" the processing time for them, and they pre-score you for adaptability. The final months are just to ensure your profile matches your details and your score is genuine. This way they (CIC) get the best of the best as it were.

Edited by Sideline

M-N

1) Your skills are not on the NOC list for level O/A/B that will get you onto the FSW track.

Read here for some info

http://www.sacanada.org/topic/18871-question-about-pr-for-all-people-on-a-work-permit/

Direct link to skills matrix

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/html/matrix.html

2) Your skills are not in the trades list (plumbers, artisans etc)

3) You don't have 1 or more years Canadian work experience.

NB! On a WP already active and you are in Canada, you need to complete 1 year work experience here :).

With out a WP and back in SA with a job offer you just get a WP issued, but still arrive here with a WP and the "risks" often discussed.

4) You are not under any Provincial Nomination Program.

Remember folks EE is just a "shortcut" to the usual programs. You still need to meet one of those criteria.

EE is not a special way to get past these things, it's just a "new" way to force people to get their paperwork sorted out before applying, thus if your profile matches and you qualify, you are invited to apply and you are "almost there" meaning CIC just needs to confirm your details. This is what "speeds up" the processing time for them, and they pre-score you for adaptability. The final months are just to ensure your profile matches your details and your score is genuine. This way they (CIC) get the best of the best as it were.

All my work experiences I've listed fall within Matrix. Granted that I don't have much experience under the NOC I applied under for TWP mainly because I got promoted really quickly (within same company) which resulted in me falling under a different NOC code.

Edit: after thinking about it I realised I was trying to apply under the FSW. I guess already being in Canada, that option is no longer an option and CEC it is. Kind of feel very stupid now. I think the eligibility test kind of gave me false hope as it gave me the indication that I am eligible to apply under EE which I did. On the bright side, atleast we have the WES and CELPIP done.

One will just have to soldier on and try again. November will be here soon enough. :whistling:

Edited by M-N

M-N

All my work experiences I've listed fall within Matrix. Granted that I don't have much experience under the NOC I applied under for TWP mainly because I got promoted really quickly (within same company) which resulted in me falling under a different NOC code.

Edit: after thinking about it I realised I was trying to apply under the FSW. I guess already being in Canada, that option is no longer an option and CEC it is. Kind of feel very stupid now. I think the eligibility test kind of gave me false hope as it gave me the indication that I am eligible to apply under EE which I did. On the bright side, atleast we have the WES and CELPIP done.

One will just have to soldier on and try again. November will be here soon enough. :whistling:

Ugh! So I decided to look through my declined application to see what went wrong. It turned out that for some silly reason the WES info I added never saved and was submitted as such. Funny enough, I still had the other half go over it.....weird... So I decided to complete and submit again and lo and behold...we got accepted into the FSW pool for the next draw. So will see what happens. Feeling relieved and very annoyed with myself. ? phew. Edited by M-N
  • Like 4

GrantM

That is great news!

• Like 1

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

That is great news!

Dittto! :cowboy:

Sideline

Very good news indeed.

These silly things that trip you up when least expected :)

You can apply under the FSW while in Canada. You never know when that list will change to include a profession of yours while on a WP.

Wishing you guys all the speedy inclusion and acceptance for the next draw.