Sign in to follow this  
Laurenwallace

Express Entry first draw - updates?!?

GrantM

Hi guys,

So we just got our invites today! We were invited on the FSW route, and we had a total of 860 points.

congrats!
  • Like 1

EvB

Wow, CIC does not mess around with minimum points, right? I am well qualified with a few post secondary degrees and studied in Canada plus have Canadian work experience and still I would not come close to the 779. That is because of my age that exceeds 39. The lesson thus, apply soonest, Canada only wants new immigrants that are young. By implication it shows how the system penalises on older age.

So so so so so gad I made all the sacrifices back in 2007/2008, the plan paid off big time although it was a challenging immigration project end-to-end, will do it again via the SP route .

Glad for those that made the cut off, really sad for those that may not have made the cut-off

• Like 2

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Hi guys,

So we just got our invites today! We were invited on the FSW route, and we had a total of 860 points.

Absolutely the best news I've had all week! Congrats! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Laurenwallace

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

We have our work cut out for us now, we need to get our medicals done ASAP, and get Carl's son Tristan's medical done too (he is still in SA) as well as getting Carl's matric certificate ECA certified! All in 60 days. So it's all guns blazing at this point.

PS - We got the points because we have an existing LMIA and are currently here on a work permit. That already puts 600 points on your name. So they are either looking for people currently employed in Canada, or professionals in certain fields.

Edited by lauren.wallace

cliveza

Hey Lauren,

I'd like to know did you get a new LMIA or did you use the LMO from you work permit?

Thanks,

Laurenwallace

@cliveza, we used the LMO from our current work permit. We applied for PR a year into our stay. We were working On the premise that our WP is for 2 years, you need to be here for 12 months before you are able to apply for PR, and that the 'average' processing time for PR is another 12 months.

SSB

That is fantastic news Lauren, Congrats!

Sparky2

Lauren.Wallace, have you got confirmation that you can use your LMO? I am in the same boat and want to make sure that I should not ask my company to apply for a LMIA for EE. I can't find much info online.

Helanie

Congrats Lauren!! Awesome news! Good luck with getting all the required documents etc... the admin of an application (documents & supporting documents) is insane but hopefully worth it in the end!! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Sparky2

We submitted our application today and paid both fees. It is really simple.

Has anyone had to go for a medical (upfront or otherwise), and your wife is pregnant - therefore you can't do the Xray and complete the E-Medical?

• Like 1

Sideline

We submitted our application today and paid both fees. It is really simple.

Has anyone had to go for a medical (upfront or otherwise), and your wife is pregnant - therefore you can't do the Xray and complete the E-Medical?

Tricky situation. You "can" do X-rays, as they just shield your wife differently if they know of pregnancy.

Some/many people prefer not to do medicals. You need to inform CIC and request a delay till after birth. That moves your timeline and the "application". You will need to resubmit family members section information form and get birth certificates/passport etc for baby to submit. Of course that pushes up costs and time delays. They (CIC) might insist baby will not be born in Canada, or if you do get to Canada healthcare might not be fully covered. Never an easy route, but what ever you do don't screw it up by getting PR, going to Canadia activating PR then going "home" to have baby (and you didn't inform them of the pregnancy). That creates a whole new kettle of problems about sponsoring baby (as baby was not on the original application). There are members that tried to run that gauntlet and found out the hard way how unforgiving the "PC" Canadians can be.

Depending on how far pregnant she is you can choose to risk it all and do the medicals (screened X-rays), get to Canada and have baby in Canada, but Not entirely sure if/how that would work under EE and you being in the pool of invitees though.

I could suggest to either take the screened X-rays route or become the guinea pig case for others to learn from.

BTW the X-rays are chest X-rays to determine TB etc. so the shield is a belly sheild if you choose that option.

Hope this helps

Edited by Sideline

Sparky2

Hi Sideline, our plan is to land on work permits, not wait for PR. We don't need to do medicals for the WP from UAE.

She just did a chest x ray in December for our UAE residence visa, so I am trying to get that and send it to CIC. I doubt it would help though.

Thanks for your advice, as always.

Johno

Regarding a job offer forming part of your application: For FSW Program it is not required, it helps, but -

Do you only need to prove that a job offer was made to you, or do you have to prove that you also formally accepted the job offer?

Nelline

A job offer without a positive LMIA won't help the case at all I suspect Johno

Edited by Nelline

Johno

A job offer without a positive LMIA won't help the case at all I suspect Johno

1 - Do you arrange the LMIA yourself or must the employer provide one?

2 - Lets assume the LMIA is in place - do you need to prove you accepted the offer, or is the offer itself enough?

I qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker program and as far as I know, you dont need a job before going over as you get PR immediately. Or am I missing something here?

MaryJane

1. The LMIA is arranged by the employer - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

2. Not sure. Will let others give you more info. My thinking is that you'd have to at least come to some sort of understanding with the employer as it takes time and money to arrange for an LMIA. I don't think they'll just go ahead and get one without some sort of acceptance on your part?

3. If you qualify for FSW, then you are right that it's not mandatory to have a job offer. With Express Entry, you just need to have the points. Of course, if you have an LMIA, it will help you more since you get 600 added points immediately for it.

• Like 1

Laurenwallace

If you have the LMIA, from your employer, then that means that a job offer was made, and accepted. You won't get an LMIA from an employer if you are not going to work for that job specified in the LMIA.

Johno

If you have the LMIA, from your employer, then that means that a job offer was made, and accepted. You won't get an LMIA from an employer if you are not going to work for that job specified in the LMIA.

Ok, makes sense - the LMIA is employer and job/vacancy specific. Thanks Lauren.

Nelline

When you upload these documents to your online application, you'll upload a scanned copy of the LMIA document (which is quite bulky) as well as a scanned copy of the SIGNED (by the employer and yourself) and dated job offer on company letterhead

Ok, makes sense - the LMIA is employer and job/vacancy specific. Thanks Lauren.

Correct: the LMIA is something the employer needs to arrange because it involves proving that recruitment of "local" talent did not meet the job standards and this includes showing where it was advertised and for how long as well as details of any local interviews...

Johno

When you upload these documents to your online application, you'll upload a scanned copy of the LMIA document (which is quite bulky) as well as a scanned copy of the SIGNED (by the employer and yourself) and dated job offer on company letterhead

Correct: the LMIA is something the employer needs to arrange because it involves proving that recruitment of "local" talent did not meet the job standards and this includes showing where it was advertised and for how long as well as details of any local interviews...

Ok, that means the employer will have a LMIA for the specific vacancy in general, not a specific applicant. The applicant can obtain the LMIA from the employer to submit or use during his application, depending on the agreement with each other.

Laurenwallace

On our LMO, it had my husband's name. So as far as I know, it will be applicant specific. But that is on the LMO, not sure about the LMIA (I'm assuming they are one and the same thing?)

Nelline

No, the LMIA is specific to the vacancy AND the applicant. Because the employer submits the LMIA approval request on the basis of having gone through the recruitment process which includes a minimum of 1 month's job advertising on certain portals and an interview process of local talent / local applicants as well as the foreign worker and 1) the local talent/applicants didn't come up to scratch but 2) the foreign worker best suited the requirements.

Ok, that means the employer will have a LMIA for the specific vacancy in general, not a specific applicant. The applicant can obtain the LMIA from the employer to submit or use during his application, depending on the agreement with each other.

Mossie

Hi there, was just wondering how did you know how much points you had? Does it actually show a total somewhere?

MaryJane

Express Entry Draws so far.....

January 31, 2015 - 779 invites - 886 points or more.

February 7, 2015 - 779 invites - 818 points or more.

February 20, 2015 - 849 invites - 808 points or more.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/mi/ita.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/mi/index.asp?expand=mi-pr-express#mi-pr-express

• Like 1