Sign in to follow this  

Express Entry information

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell
Express Entry: Ten Misconceptions

DECEMBER, 2014

This article aims to clarify some of the more common misconceptions that remain.

Misconception #1: Anybody can enter the Express Entry pool.

Truth: Candidates eligible to immigrate to Canada under a federal economic immigration program may enter the pool.

Misconception #2: You need a job offer to immigrate to Canada through Express Entry.

Truth: A job offer is not required, but it certainly won’t hurt.

Misconception #3: Express Entry is the only way to immigrate to Canada as an economic immigrant.

Truth: Express Entry will facilitate the immigration of most economic migrants, but provinces will still be able to select a certain allocation of immigrants outside the Express Entry system.

Misconception #4: The eligible occupations list for the Federal Skilled Worker Program will continue under Express Entry. Truth: There will be no eligible occupations list as of January 1, 2015.

Misconception #5: Sitting and passing a language test will not be required in order to enter the Express Entry pool. Truth: Candidates must have passed a standardised language test recognised by the government of Canada in either English or French before they may enter the pool.

Misconception #6: When a candidate is issued an invitation to apply for Canadian permanent residence, he or she is likely to have enough time to begin gathering supporting documents and submit an application in time. Truth: Candidates who only begin to gather supporting documents after being issued an invitation to apply may struggle to submit a complete application within the 60-day deadline.

Misconception #7: Candidates will know for certain how many points they will need under the Comprehensive Ranking System in order to be issued an invitation to apply. Truth: Candidates will know their Comprehensive Ranking System points total and the government of Canada has said that candidates will know what the points threshold was for the most recent draw. However, candidates will not know their specific ranking nor how many points may be required for the next draw

Misconception #8: Once an Express Entry profile has been created, it cannot be changed, regardless of whether a candidate improves his or her points. Truth: Candidates can update their profiles while in the Express Entry pool.

Misconception #9: Candidates can enter the Express Entry pool by giving false information and, if subsequently issued an invitation to apply, immigrate to Canada. Truth: Misrepresentation will be caught and will carry stern penalties.

Misconception #10: Express Entry will be a seamless, easy process. Truth: The government of Canada is reviewing applications more rigorously than ever, and candidates will have to provide a lot of supporting documentation that meets the standards set by CIC.

Full article here: http://www.cicnews.com/2014/12/express-entry-ten-misconceptions-124283.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/express-entry-immigrants.asp

For those of you thinking of applying for express Entry (EE) the link above has a wealth of information cic shared today.

Good luck.

:ilikeit:

All the best to those who will jump into the "pool!"

Sybi

Thank you Ingrid.

Although we just recently sent our app through on NOC 2172, we definitely going to submit an EOI.

I am actually looking forward to what shall be revealed come 1 Jan :)

• Like 1

Thank you Ingrid.

Although we just recently sent our app through on NOC 2172, we definitely going to submit an EOI.

I am actually looking forward to what shall be revealed come 1 Jan :)

It seems like an exciting process...and so much faster too. Or at least, that is their hope.

Express Train, here we come!

Hope things fall into place for you guys, Sybi. :)

clare.schur

Hi there

I realize the Express Entry system is new and only launching on the 1st of January. I thought I would try get some of my documentation ready, as recommended by CIC, and hit a brick wall (I realize this is the start of many obstacles :blush: ). I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain how one goes about getting the language assessment done. The websites recommended by CIC all seem to require applicants to go into a test centre, all based in Canada. How does one do it if we are still in SA?

MaryJane

There are IELTS centres in South Africa. I'm pretty sure there's one in JHB. Can't recall where else exactly. You'd have to contact them to book a test appointment and do the test at their centre. The results come out a few weeks afterwards. The test result that you get determines the level of command you have on the English language.

MartinG

Hi Clare,

The JHB centre’s contact details are:

South Africa - Johannesburg
British Council, P O BOX 655, Johannesburg, Parklands, 2121
+27 11 560 9300
ssa.enquiries@britishcouncil.org
http://www.britishcouncil.org.za/exam/ielts

Tests are done at:

EDEN COLLEGE

48 JOHANNESBURG ROAD, LYNDHURST

It'll cost R 2 400 per person and you make the booking and payment on their website.

I booked early this month and got one of the last spots for the 10th Jan to redo my IELTS for EE.

A person can also do IELTS at language lab which have offices in Braamfontein, Pretoria and durban (think Cape Town as well but not sure).

Their offices in Braamfontein is not in the best of areas, but it's manageable.....

Oh and just as a note, I recommend you get the study guide for the test which effectively is a mock test. Yes it will set you back about R500 for a thin little book, but it will guide you as to what you can expect from the exam. There are 4 tests, Reading, writing, speaking and listening. Listening, writing and reading is written in succession, with no breaks in between. Speaking takes about 15 minutes and is done one on one with an examiner.

By far listening is the biggest challenge as it entails listening, writing and reading comprehension at the Same time, and if you (like most of us guys) struggle with multi tasking it can put a serious spanner in the works if you are confronted by this for the first time in the exam. For this reason, my recommendation is get the mock exam tutorials.......

CIC Plans On Making First Express Entry Draw For Canadian Immigration Within Weeks

JANUARY, 2015

Following the launch of its new Express Entry selection system for Canadian immigration last week, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has stated its intention to perform the first draw from the Express Entry pool before the end of January, 2015. This news may benefit candidates who create their online profiles before the first draw is made.

http://www.cicnews.com/2015/01/cic-plans-making-express-entry-draw-canadian-immigration-weeks-014385.html

Laurenwallace

Does anyone know if there is a 'tally' of all the applications for the EE CEC NOC specific? Like a counter? I want to keep track of how many applicants are in 'our' NOC pool...

KReed15063674

Hi all,

This new system is quite exciting yes.

I joined the international FSW forum a few days ago and saw that it seems like the 'hot' NOCs and the ones getting processed the fastest and that leads me to think I should possible try the express system in conjunction with the app I already sent in in Dec.

Does anyone know for sure if one is 'allowed' to apply for various streams at once?

My NOC only has 6 applications at last update so if it is so that they are processing the 'hot' NOCs first I may wait a very long time...

Thanks,

K