Sign in to follow this  
Lukas&Claudette

Study permit Application

Lukas&Claudette

Hi All

My husband starts his Studies in Canada BC in March 2015, we submitted our application online. I applied for a open work permit and our daughter is 2 years old also in the application.

My question is, does anyone know how long you have to wait on a study permit application and open work permit before CIC informs you it is approved and when do they send you instructions on going for medicals.

We submitted everything on 15 November 2014 so its been 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Lukas&Claudette

Thanks, I see that Pretoria has increased their processing time by 1 week, so now 17 weeks. Im sure we will hear from them in 8 - 10 weeks from now.

Cant wait to get that approval! Canada so amazing.

Rhett Glas

Hi everyone, wonder if someone could help...my wife is applying for a study visa currently but we just can not seem to get the application signed as CIC wants. They tell you one thing on the website yet on the actual application there is no such box? We cant put a digital signature on , have been trying for 5 days now. Even using Acrobat Pro it wont let us place a signature! Ready to pull our hair out !!

I know that you can sign in to My CIC anytime and continue with appl but we validated the application and then we got issued those 5 barcodes at the end...but then the doc gets saved somewhere on pc and we cant find it !! This all sounds crazy but so frustrating... hope someone can help, thanks

Rhett Glas

Ok looks like we got it all sorted, thanks a mill Claudette !! Will keep you posted...

Rhett, glad you sorted it out and all the best with your application. I am all for modern technology like filling forms out online etc., but it can also as in you experienced add stress. :D Welcome to the immigration process, it builds character!!

Rhett Glas

Hi Lawrence, thanks...yes you right it sure does build character !!

Lukas&Claudette

So I was confused about the processing time for a study permit at pretoria because cic's website stated it takes 17 weeks and on the website for south africa it stated 10 to 12 weeks. I then e-mailed pretoria and they confirmed it is 10 to 12 weeks for a study permit to be processed.

We applied 15 November 2014 and 12 weeks are now completed, hopefully we receive an answer soon because my nerves are through the roof LOL as many of you can relate!

Fingers crossed and faith all will come to pass very soon!

Rhett Glas

:ilikeit: know how you feel Claudette....keep us posted

EvB

New risks for international students into meeting PR points on completion of studies

This is potentially a new huge hurdle, yet another freaking trip up

From The Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/new-immigration-rules-risk-leaving-international-students-behind/article22886693/

Via The Globe and Mail's Android app

Jules

Canadian graduates should definitely get bonus points or a lower pass mark. They do have an advantage over other applicants when they spend several years here studying. They should NOT be viewed equal to external applicants - they do have an advantage and they should be rewarded.

Canada's immigration system is not reliable - rules change and they can be radical changes. I feel bad for the people here studying.

Tchio

Hi all,

Are they anyone who submitted they student visa application through Canadian High Commission during the month of November 2014, did hear from them already ?

Tchio

Hey everyone i really need help, I am from Mauritius, i did my undergraduate with Stellenbosch University, I did submit my student visa application last year. and today i receive and email from CHC, requesting for my Mauritius Police Clearance but the problem is when filling my application i did send the original of my old passport and in order to do a new police clearance i need to submit a copy of my old passport. and in the email i receive there are giving me 2 weeks to produce the requested document. but still the processing time to do a police clearance in Mauritius is something like 4 weeks.

So i will really need help from Senoir member who have been facing a similar situation like mine

Thanks!!

dallant

Hi Tchio,

What's your status in South Africa, permanent or temporary?the reason i ask is that if your status in SA is temporary, chances are they will deny you a visa due to lack of proof that you will return to SA at the end of your studios. Remember a temporary status in SA is depending on the conditions on it, eitheir studying or working, if you stop then the status becomes invalid. I know of someone who even got to the stage of doing the medicals for a study permit only to be denied because the person had a work permit status in SA.

Also if your intentions are to apply for a canaHera, can you please upload it instead of sending it to me? I still have a good hour before i get homedian PR after your studies make sure your program qualifies for it. Not all 1 year programs qualify for the canadian experience.

Lastly, really find a way to get your PC within the time frame, unless you have a good reason to explain your delay, CIC rarely gives extension on deadlines.

Good luck!

Tchio

That's for your response, I am in SA under a temporary permit (Study Permit), And i have show proof to my home country (Mauritius).and i just finish my study last year. and still have a valid visa up to 2017 with South Africa.

Lukas&Claudette

Hi everyone

Sorry we have been so quiet, visiting family all over and some places no signal. Anyway un update on our progress with the study permit....we are still waiting for passport requests.

We are in week 18 of processing and normally it should only take 16 weeks as it states in the website.

Went to the embassy in pretoria on the 1st Tuesday of March because thats the only day they open to the public and all they said was we have to wait for passport requests and the is a backlog.

So for any advice I can give, just be patient it might take longer than the website states.

Kylee

Hey guys

Any advice/hurdles encountered for mature students getting accepted into colleges and receiving study permits? I am Interested to hear how many of you had to apply to multiple colleges before getting accepted? And how difficult it was obtaining the study permit for canada.

I spent 2014 in Toronto with my fiancé on an open WP and we really felt disheartened to find the new rules prohibit us from returning or renueing our WPs without GREAT difficulty and lots of time and luck against a pool of more attractive applicants. It has been so hard integrating back home in SA knowing we want to be in Canada for the long run, we haven't been able to settle back into jobs or make major commitments or living arrangements because we imagined we were just home for a short while to renew temp visas and passports and visit family we were under the impression that we could renew our OWP for up to four years...but then the immigration laws changed !!. We have decided to try out the study route ( still trying to figure out a way to prove the funds) with the hope of this buying some time to rack up enough points for PR invite through express entry. We both have 8months work experience in Canada so far but this isn't nearly enough so we are hoping that two years of me studying with an additional two years working after graduation will allow my fiancé and I enough years experience/ experience class points to secure some sorta better chance at PR... This is a long shot I am sure but some advice or comments may help as everything at the moment just seems impossible.

Blondieswt25

Hi, Is this site still active?