Sign in to follow this  
KAREN_01

Passport for kids

KAREN_01

Hi,

We are in the very beginning of our journey. I've yet to figure out what needs to be done first, second, third etc. Wish there was an easy formula/list.

Myself and the kids do not have passports. When is the best time to get passports for the kids? Sooner rather than later, or visa versa? Just wondering, because I see that many journeys took very long from beginning to end and I know how fast a child's face change in a short time. I don't want to have to repeat the process - the less repetition the better.

Thanks

Anjasteyn

Hi Karen,

Firstly, wishing you all the best in your journey!

I would put off the passport application for kids for a little while. Home Affairs are "generally" very quick with passports these days, and you're most likely to get them within 2 -4 weeks after applying for them. You'd want as much time left on the passports as possible before you need to renew them again, so perhaps as soon as you receive PER / confirmation that you're being approved would be a good time to go.

I can recommend though to go apply for their and you and your husband's Unabridged Birth certificates (and your unabridged marriage certificate) as soon as possible, since the waiting times are pretty erratic and could be waiting up to 6 or 8 months for them. They fortunately don't have expiry dates so once you have them, you have them.

Also note that when you do go apply for passports for the kids, both parents need to be present for the application; new home affairs rules.

Sybi

Hi,

I would have to disagree with Anja on this one.

Depending on the stream that you applying under, you need a copy of your kids passports to attach in your application package.

Kids passports are relatively quick, adults on the other hand there might be a backlog...

I would say get the passports as soon as you can, as you may never know what "back log" you might encounter as Home affairs.

Goodluck :)

Edited by Sybi

Anjasteyn

After reading Sybi's post, perhaps it's better to err on the side of caution. If hubby were to get a job and you end up going the work permit route, the last thing you would want to happen is to delay the process because you're still waiting for passports.

MaryJane

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you have to give a passport number for everyone going on the application form?

I know you can just say you're applying for it for now but seems to me you are only saving months not years in the passport validity. Like Sybi says, you have to submit copies of the passport in with the application.

Kids passports are valid for 5 years only. There shouldn't be any issue about the child's changing features as he/she grows older.

chantelie

Yes you will need to go for your passports asap as CIC would want your passport numbers and copies of your passports when u send in your application.

Mae

I also agree that you should get your passport as soon as possible. Good luck!

Wolverine

yep, passports have to be done first. you need copies of them as they are the only ID with your name and face that is used for ANY immigration stream.

Agreed - Passports first before submitting the application. You have to just about show your pedigree when you apply and also state who is going with to Canada and who is not - including the parent's mother, father and siblings. Then of course if they go with to Canada you need to supply passport numbers - so definitely passports first.

And to maximise your time at the lovely Home affairs office - apply for everyone's unabridged birth certificates at the same time and save yourself a trip. :grad:

PS - a little tip which I picked up. The Home Affairs website does not have the documents which you need to complete available on the website for download. You can only get them physically at the home affairs office. This apparently to curb crime...... HOWEVER (here is the tip part) I was on the South African embassy in Toronto's website the other day and noticed that the forms are freely available on the South African embassy website. GENIUS! :whistling: So save yourself some time (and frustration) and download it from the embassy's website.

Good luck though