Sign in to follow this  
Anjasteyn

Raynaud's Disease

Anjasteyn

Does any one already in Canada suffer from this? I am very interested to hear any personal insights on how to cope with it in the extreme cold. I start suffering from symptoms as soon as the temperature just drops below 20 degrees (even higher sometimes) and it gets pretty severe at temperatures below 10 degrees. I'm sure there are people there that also live with it, I'm just curious as to the precautionary measures or lifestyle adjustments that will be required.

Tracey22

I used to get chilblains in SA - is this similar? I have never suffered from them here.

maybe just stock up with "hotties" and keep a supply nearby. they keep your hands and feet warm for up to 8 hours

OutOfSa

I don't have that, but you get little pads about the size of a teabag that chemically generate heat, which you can leave in you glove or hold in your hands / shoes to keep the temp up and the blood flowing.

Cathy K

Now you made me go and look this up. :) One learns something new every day!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/basics/definition/con-20022916

Anjasteyn

It's rather debilitating sometimes, as it causes me to completely lose feeling in my hands, which obviously makes it difficult to do pretty much anything (especially driving!).

Those pads seem like a very good idea, I think I've seen some of those at Outdoor Warehouse. Will check it out.

Tracey22

My kids made their own handwarmers last year - the eldest loves making chemical experiments and made "hot ice": http://lifehacker.com/make-your-own-reusable-diy-hot-ice-hand-warmers-1516087373

The youngest made microwaveable handwarmers:

1. Cut a piece of flannel fabric 8 1/2 inches by 4 1/2 inches, and fold it in half with the short sides of the fabric together.

2. STEP 2
    Sew the sides

Sew the 2 opposite open sides together with a needle and thread to form a pouch, and turn the pouch inside-out.

3. STEP 3
    Fill pouch

Fill the pouch 3/4 full with uncooked rice before folding in the open edges 1/4 inch and using an overstitch to sew the top closed.

4. Use brown rice rather than white rice to better hold heat.

5. STEP 4
    Heat in microwave

Heat hand warmers in a microwave oven for 10 seconds before placing them inside your gloves to keep hands warm for up to 120 minutes

• Like 1

Cathy K

You can buy handwarmers at places like Walmart for about 75 cents. They simply heat up when you open the package. I usually keep a few in the car and one pack in my handbag.

http://www.handwarmers.net/