Sign in to follow this  
Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Know of any good drs. taking new patients in NW Calgary?

Thank you for any advice/input. :)

http://www.cpsa.ab.ca/physiciansearch/advancedsearch.aspx

Ingrid, search this page for what you need. You can refine down to the actual speciality if you need to.

Thank you - you are a blessing. :)

I was actually also hoping for more of a personal recommendations well.

Sideline
:(, can't say we have any personal referrals, but I shall get the grape vine connected and ask some people living in NW Edited by Sideline
  • Like 1

Went to dinner with other S.African friends last week and they just happened to mention they have a SA dr. who is taking new patients.

Registered online right away and got a call from the practice to confirm we can make a meet-and-greet appt. to meet the GP.

If anyone needs a dr. in Calgary, I would be happy to pass on the details. :)

wickmac

Went to dinner with other S.African friends last week and they just happened to mention they have a SA dr. who is taking new patients.

Registered online right away and got a call from the practice to confirm we can make a meet-and-greet appt. to meet the GP.

If anyone needs a dr. in Calgary, I would be happy to pass on the details. :)

We go to Dr Dan Botha (ex-SA) but he is located near Chinook Mall in the SW. Depending where you are in the NW it isn't really that far. We are happy with him - not sure if he is taking new patients, but the wait is only a few days when making an appointment, so he might be. Good luck!

• Like 1

We go to Dr Dan Botha (ex-SA) but he is located near Chinook Mall in the SW. Depending where you are in the NW it isn't really that far. We are happy with him - not sure if he is taking new patients, but the wait is only a few days when making an appointment, so he might be. Good luck!

Thank you for the lead but we have already registered with the practice of Wikus Venter.

Nothing is "far" in Calgary! :lol: I was used to driving 45 mins one-way to my dr. in the Lower Mainland.

We are very well located: 15 mins to the airport, 5 mins to the North Centre Mall, 10 mins to UofC, 3 mins to a wonderful German coffeeshop. B)

Biggest plus is hubby can walk to work - he loves the exercise. 20 mins' walk, twice a day. Perfect.

Thanks again! :)

M-N

Just realized today that we have an all Afrikaans practice across the road from us at Coventry Hills Family Clinic (inside the Superstore). Was quite funny when the Doc started speaking to me in Afrikaans. :whistling: I saw Dr. Deon Swart. Not sure how good he is seeing as I only saw him a few minutes. I just went as a walk-in but will most likely try them out.

Ingrid, isn't it amazing to be so close to everything? I walk to and from gym and to the stores, bank, etc. Going to work is a bit further and takes longer but we take the bus. At least it's only two and they're fairly relaxing.

• Like 1

Ingrid, isn't it amazing to be so close to everything? I walk to and from gym and to the stores, bank, etc. Going to work is a bit further and takes longer but we take the bus. At least it's only two and they're fairly relaxing.

I am not really a city person so my heart is somewhere out in horse-country. :cowboy:

Our location is superb for now, mainly for my hubby's sake. And yes, it is great to be close to some stores etc.

I look forward to May-October as I will be doing some practical courses/workshops on a horse farm north of Airdrie.

Hopefully I will be meeting our new GP next week or so... :)

• Like 1

KarinS

Hi All

I just found this post. We are looking for a GP who accepts new patients - near Arbour Lake NW if possible.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Hi All

I just found this post. We are looking for a GP who accepts new patients - near Arbour Lake NW if possible.

Thank you!

Dr. Wikus Venter is accepting new patients. I had my first 'meet & greet' appt. with him last week and was suitably impressed and thankful to have a dr. that understands my culture, etc. He seems to be very thorough as well. I normally have a really hard time to tell drs. my symptoms but I had no problem at all to ask him questions, etc. His approach is very proactive and long-term. I also felt he had time for me which drs. often don't carry across-they come across as busy, busy, busy!

Not quite in the area where you asked for Karin, but it is worth the drive.

http://www.calgaryfamilymd.com

• Like 1

KarinS

Thank you very much Ingrid. I will definitely contact them. I do not have a car at the moment, since Alan is using the car for work and we do not have a second car yet, but I am getting quite used to the buses and trains:)

Thank you very much Ingrid. I will definitely contact them. I do not have a car at the moment, since Alan is using the car for work and we do not have a second car yet, but I am getting quite used to the buses and trains:)

I just found this rating on Wickus Venter:

Top Emergency Room Doctors
in Calgary, AB
v1_at_70x70.jpgDr. Raj Bhardwaj

21 reviews

#1 of 76

v1_at_70x70.jpgDr. Paul Labrecque

11 reviews

#2 of 76

• Like 1

The receptionist is Jordanne. You can tell her I referred you. My husband will be doing his meet & greet when I go back for my 2nd appt. soon.

PS. I think the ER dr. reviews may be old. from a few years ago. There are some current reviews of him as a GP as well.

M-N

Hi Karin,

Just to add to Ingrid's post option, I am in Panorama Hills NW and just got taken in by a SA doctor in Coventry Hills (http://www.health-local.com/biz/walk-in-clinics/calgary/alberta/coventry-hills-family-care-centre). All the doctors are S African. The staff is friendly and I find the waiting time reasonable. Even if you are just a walk-in.

And it's pretty easy to get there by bus and train.

Just my addition. :blush:

Edited by M-N
  • Like 2

KarinS

Hello M-N

Thank you very much! I appreciate it and will definitely look into it.

By the way - what is it like living in Panorama Hills? We are in Arbour Lake for now, but not sure if this is where we will end up buying.

Karin

Hi Karin,

Just to add to Ingrid's post option, I am in Panorama Hills NW and just got taken in by a SA doctor in Coventry Hills (http://www.health-local.com/biz/walk-in-clinics/calgary/alberta/coventry-hills-family-care-centre). All the doctors are S African. The staff is friendly and I find the waiting time reasonable. Even if you are just a walk-in.

And it's pretty easy to get there by bus and train.

Just my addition. :blush:

:ilikeit::ilikeit:

M-N

Hello M-N

Thank you very much! I appreciate it and will definitely look into it.

By the way - what is it like living in Panorama Hills? We are in Arbour Lake for now, but not sure if this is where we will end up buying.

Karin

I like the area. It looks fairly new. Worth looking into. Also another area I liked is in the SW. We went to Bridlewood to visit some friends and the area looks very similar to Panorama Hills just more open, and slightly older (but in a good way). the best way to really get to see the city is using public transit. You get to experience a lot more neighborhoods than if you had to use a car. With cars you are used to using particular roads to get from one side of town to the other side and you rarely venture into neighborhoods.

• Like 1

KarinS

M-N

I will have a look thanks. I am for the first time in my life becoming an expert on public transport! The local bus driver is becoming very familiar with me with my bright purple jacket and two kids in tow - every day with huge IKEA bags full of shopping haha. He even gave us free tickets a few days ago:)

I was quite keen on the South West, but Alan has a bit of a traffic phobia and since he works in the North East, our options are slightly limited! He believes that anywhere that requires crossing a river or busy road is BAD!!

M-N

M-N

I will have a look thanks. I am for the first time in my life becoming an expert on public transport! The local bus driver is becoming very familiar with me with my bright purple jacket and two kids in tow - every day with huge IKEA bags full of shopping haha. He even gave us free tickets a few days ago:)

I was quite keen on the South West, but Alan has a bit of a traffic phobia and since he works in the North East, our options are slightly limited! He believes that anywhere that requires crossing a river or busy road is BAD!!

Haha Haha oh dear. We also work out in NE but we take the bus. So used to it now and it's super chillaxed. Managed to finish a book or two like that. Love taking the train too. Don't get to use it often but enjoy it when we do. ? Edited by M-N
  • Like 1

KarinS

Haha Haha oh dear. We also work out in NE but we take the bus. So used to it now and it's super chillaxed. Managed to finish a book or two like that. Love taking the train too. Don't get to use it often but enjoy it when we do.

I will work on convincing Alan that he can take a bus to work and leave the car for me - then we do not need a second one:) I am really enjoying the public transport, but not sure it is going to work well once I start carting the kids around to ballet, soccer etc etc. I have a feeling I will get fed up quite quickly - especially with my 5 year old heffelump son who believes he gets tired very quickly from walking and wants a "donkey back ride" (my name for it since I often feel like a pack donkey!)

Hennie vdB

I've been called 'The Mule' quite often when our boys were small, and we had to cart two sets of hockey equipment together with our travel baggage. Know the feeling, but gladly now retired from mule duties, as well as nappy changing, with honourable discharge.

Both SW and SE and even Okotoks are now very easy (driving) options to NE ever since Stoney Trail opened last year. It is a long distance, but smooth driving.

• Like 1

KarinS

I've been called 'The Mule' quite often when our boys were small, and we had to cart two sets of hockey equipment together with our travel baggage. Know the feeling, but gladly now retired from mule duties, as well as nappy changing, with honourable discharge.

Both SW and SE and even Okotoks are now very easy (driving) options to NE ever since Stoney Trail opened last year. It is a long distance, but smooth driving.

Hennie - Surely you are back on nappy changing duties from time to time? :clown:

• Like 1