Sign in to follow this  
Angiedoo

Weight Loss

Angiedoo

Hi,

Just a quick question, did anyone lose a lot of weight the first 2 months after they arrived? I weighed 54kg in SA, 2 months in I weigh 48kg!

Thanks,

Ange

shawman

Hi Angie

I did, I landed weighing 65 and in the first couple of months went down to 55. I think it was all the stress (plus I am not a huge fan of the food). Gradually picked some of it up again. I see we also have our love of Ricoffy in common too. Haha maybe that has something to do with it.

• Like 1

MaryJane

I agree, it's the stress. We are affected by the move more than we think. On the outside, we seem to be okay and everything seems to be going great, but down inside, our mind is going amok with worry without us knowing.

Funny though, my weight went the other way, gained 4kgs. I can't recall eating so much. I do remember being all fidgety and on the go all the time that I probably unknowingly grabbed junk food each time I got worried.

• Like 1

M-N

I actually gained a lot of weight in the weeks leading up to the move. I stress eat and all the parties and braais didn't help much either. Lol, hoping I get to lose some of it very soon.

Wolverine

48?? that's not good AT ALL

Angiedoo

I'm 5"4 so it's not too bad and have a small frame. I don't look like skelator!

AAA

Gosh! i wish I could drop a few kgs when we move:)

Mae

At last! something really good to look forward to. I hope I lose weight too! everything else has failed (lol) :magic:

Cathy K

Sadly it's not going to last. Sigh!

Christmas is upon us. Winter is here. Large restaurant portions are alive and well.........

You're going to be exposed to food that you've never heard of before: Ukrainian perogies, Hungarian langos, poutine. I'm always amazed at what breakfast looks like in Canada: bagels with yummy cream cheese, pancakes with maple syrup and whipped cream, breakfast sausages, eggs, bacon.

Enjoy the slim you while you can! In the meantime, try Timmies delicious BLT sandwich. :lol:

• Like 2

Angiedoo

Hahaha. I cannot over eat though, as soon as I start feeling full I move the plate aside and ask for a container which I keep for hubby later. So even though there might be a variety I still wont eat until I am rolling. Hehehehe

OutOfSa

Don't be alarmed, it will come back very soon.

It seems to take time for us to get used to the new food - which is strange as you'd think food is food right?

Well my family complained for about the first year about how tasteless food was here... now I don't hear that complaint anymore and I am struggling to keep the groceries bill under control !!! :blink:

Angiedoo

Lol. The food here is very odd tasting yes. Everything seems to have some sort of heat like curry stuff which I do not eat. But then again I am the biggest and worst picky eater ever.

Denise A

Add some more chocolate milk to the daily intake :clown:

• Like 1

M-N

Loving the food so far. Mainly because the friend we're staying with is a great cook. I discovered a love for greek yogurt (the flavoured ones), flavoured coffee creamers, apsparagus and fresh fruit flavoured water. And found this fantastic tasting cheddar cheese! ? I have a feeling I'll get along with the food. ;)

Angiedoo

The cheese here is awesome.

• Like 1

Sheryl

There's definitely far too much "nice" food here and such choices! I try and avoid going past the cake and dessert stands in Fortino's - they beckon me as soon as they see me looking that way! Wish I had willpower like Angie!

• Like 1

Jules

The cheese here is awesome.

Must agree with you. Awesome cheese here.

Another surprise is their cookies. Friends and family in SA always insist that I bring boxes and boxes of "chunks a hoy" cookies when I visit SA. Mr. Christie brand also makes great crackers that pair nicely with that cheese!

Only thing I really miss from SA is Spur burgers, tempo chocolates, Cape Malay koeksisters, and slap chips.

• Like 2

M-N

Ooooh, had Elk and Deer "boerewors" last night and I must say I enjoyed that. A bit different tasting to SA boerewors obviously but as someone who was never a fan of it, I actually enjoyed this. So far the only thing I really miss is Appletizer, mainly because I tried ordering my usual drink and found that the key ingredient didn't exist here and apparently bars don't stock the alternative which is just sparkling apple juice.

Most of the SA stuff my friend and her mom learnt to make themselves so when they are in the mood they just whip up what they need. I might just have to swing by the SA shop to pick up the essentials like Mrs. Balls.

GrantM

I might just have to swing by the SA shop to pick up the essentials like Mrs. Balls.

I think we will have to pay the R1000 for an extra bag when we go over just so that we can bring enough chutney with us :)

canuck nick

I lost around 5kg in the first 6 months but I have put it all back and then some.

You can buy Mrs Balls chutney at Choices Market but its expensive. Marmite is also expensive here and goes for around $3.69 for a small bottle. I buy bovril and curry powder from the SA Store.

Cathy K

I think we will have to pay the R1000 for an extra bag when we go over just so that we can bring enough chutney with us :)

Why? :(

I haven't been without Mrs Balls Chutney ever since we moved here in 2001. It's widely available and not always that expensive. Just shop around. Sometimes even Superstore and Save-On stock it.

There are many, many substitutes for most of what we had in South Africa if you are willing to try new things. We learned that South African cottage cheese and the Canadian product has nothing in common, but we're crazy about the Philadelphia cream cheese. Helmann's mayonnaise can top anything sold in South Africa. Bottled marinades and sauces are very good.

You will rarely find canned asparagus in Canada, but fresh ones are almost always available. The same goes for every kind of mushroom you can find.

Be adventurous, but ...ah...steer away from the Durian fruit. :whistling:

• Like 1

Sideline

Durian fruit is very interesting indeed. Best describe as smelling like cat pee and tasting like custard. However you need to eat very little of it. It supposedly has very hypothermic properties, but it think that has more to do with the copious vodka or other booze you need to get over the smell :D

Edited by Sideline

Angiedoo

Must agree with you. Awesome cheese here.

Another surprise is their cookies. Friends and family in SA always insist that I bring boxes and boxes of "chunks a hoy" cookies when I visit SA. Mr. Christie brand also makes great crackers that pair nicely with that cheese!

Only thing I really miss from SA is Spur burgers, tempo chocolates, Cape Malay koeksisters, and slap chips.

Mmmm Tempo. I used to love Twix in SA, thank goodness they have it here too. Spur Burgers have gone down so badly, they just do not taste the way they used to, it is so sad.

I am struggling to find proper meat here, it costs soooooooooooo much!

canuck nick

I buy the Angus beef patties from Costco.

I've heard that 5 Guys Burgers is very good. There are only 2 locations here, in Robson Street, Vancouver and in West Van. Vera's Burgers is supposedly also very good. But be expected to pay $10 or more for your fix.

Jules

I buy the Angus beef patties from Costco.

I've heard that 5 Guys Burgers is very good. There are only 2 locations here, in Robson Street, Vancouver and in West Van. Vera's Burgers is supposedly also very good. But be expected to pay $10 or more for your fix.

Haven't had the pleasure of trying 5 Guys yet. They aren't in Ontario. I hear they have a cult following down in the states.