Sign in to follow this  
Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Apartment 'viewing fees' shock Calgary woman looking to rent

GrantM

Mae

is it as bad in Toronto? I'm planning to rent a furnished apartment/hotel for about a week whilst still in SA and then find an apartment in that week that will be a little more permanent. I'm beginning to wonder if that is doable? I'd love to hear from people who are renters in Toronto. How easy is to find a rental place if you are " fresh off the boat" ?

Guest Petros

Supply and demand ---- for now. As oil prices continue to drop and work forces move so the prices will start coming down. But it still sucks big time.

Old Van

Business people in this country are masterful with hidden fees.

MaryJane

is it as bad in Toronto? I'm planning to rent a furnished apartment/hotel for about a week whilst still in SA and then find an apartment in that week that will be a little more permanent. I'm beginning to wonder if that is doable? I'd love to hear from people who are renters in Toronto. How easy is to find a rental place if you are " fresh off the boat" ?

Hi Mae

Certainly not impossible.

Just to part with our experience....

Booking for the one week hotel stay was easy. Did this in SA and all was fine.

Looking for temporary accommodation: rented 2 bedrooms from somebody and stayed with them for 5 months while looking for a permanent place to stay. I found the temporary accommodation in one of the forums I visited and contacted (emailed) the landlord directly. They were/are good people. Kinda lucky I guess. In hindsight, seemed a bit crazy as it could've been an unknown scary situation.

Looking for permanent accommodation: very hard for us. We didn't use an agent. Did the looking ourselves. We've decided way before that (at the time) all we could afford was a basement apartment. The ultimate goal was to get a house but we hadn't gotten our act together financially so basement apartment it was. Seemed like there's prejudice against newcomers. Credit checks and not being in Canada long were an issue. We did not have a guarantor. Looked for a whole month. Found a landlord who was also in a bit of jam because the renter that he was supposed to get, decided to back out at the last minute (very rare). We got in and took the place. Rented for a whole year with no issues.

I'd suggest going through an agent, if you can. Agents know their stuff. I see a lot of other people on the forum using them and maybe they can recommend somebody. I know there is a lady agent near the GTA area who is on the forum (could be Linda? can't recall her name now).

Sorry, this doesn't seem to be much help but hope everything works out for you. Good luck!

• Like 1

Linda

Thanks for the "plug" MaryJane, Mae I have sent you a PM and am happy to connect with you to help you with any and all questions you may have about renting in the GTA!

• Like 1

Mae

Thank you Mary Jane. It always helps to hear other people's experiences. One doesn't feel so alone.

Linda, I will be in touch with you as we get closer to the move. I'm already feeling better (lol)

Nelline

Mae, you are in safe hands with Linda

• Like 1

Charl&Wouter

Lol was just aboutt to tell you to contact Linda!

Hennie vdB

Also beware of internet scam artists - in 2012 we found a house to rent online, complete with pictures, and luckily we knew someone in Calgary, who agreed to go check it out on our behalf - when he knocked on the door, the owners were shocked to discover their house was being advertised for rent on the internet. Nearly got caught there!