Sign in to follow this  
Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Looks like we are moving to Calgary...

Geluk en alle voorspoed Ingrid. Calgary kan hulself gelukkig ag om julle te kry!

Dankie, Hendie. Dis lewenswoorde vir ons wat jy daar skryf. :cowboy:

M-N

Don't even mention rentals right now. We are busy looking. Unfortunately we don't have a massive budget being on one salary for now. As you can imagine only thing we can find for our budgeted price are basement suites and clear-as-daylight rental scams. Sigh...

• Like 1

Don't even mention rentals right now. We are busy looking. Unfortunately we don't have a massive budget being on one salary for now. As you can imagine only thing we can find for our budgeted price are basement suites and clear-as-daylight rental scams. Sigh...

Somewhat upset this side. One of our SACanada friends went to check out a place for us yesterday and we indicated to the owner that we're interested. Today he texts us that someone offered him $150 p/mth more than listing price.

Does he expect us to get into a bidding war now? :boxing::mellow:

Edited by Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

GrantM

Somewhat upset this side. One of our SACanada friends went to check out a place for us yesterday and we indicated to the owner that we're interested. Today he texts us that someone offered him $150 p/mth more than listing price.

Does he expect us to get into a bidding war now? :boxing::mellow:

Man this is irritating. I would look for something else.

This is what gets me, they advertise for $xxx, you agree to pay $xxx then suddenly someone offers $xxx+$150 (possibly out of desperation to find something) and suddenly then your offer means zip.

MaryJane

This is what gets me, they advertise for $xxx, you agree to pay $xxx then suddenly someone offers $xxx+$150 (possibly out of desperation to find something) and suddenly then your offer means zip.

Exactly my argument when we were house hunting. It was so frustrating.

Ingrid, I hope you find something else. Considering what transpired, I don't think he's a landlord that you'd want anyway.

Man this is irritating. I would look for something else.

There is no ways we'd want to rent from this guy after this. It is frustrating still being here in Vancouver and not being able to go and look at places ourselves. :mellow:

Exactly my argument when we were house hunting. It was so frustrating.

Ingrid, I hope you find something else. Considering what transpired, I don't think he's a landlord that you'd want anyway.

I agree, MaryJane.

House-hunting in Calgary is challenging, oih. :ph34r:

wickmac

Hi Ingrid - you have probably looked at the ad of our house for sale already, but on reading of your desire to "breathe" and that you love the view of the mountains etc. I just had to write. The reasons we are living here are much the same. The city lots are SO tiny, and we hate the feeling of being hemmed in. We designed our home specifically to capture the views from every window, and get plenty of sunlight. It is truly Heaven on Earth here. The home is not full of fancy appliances or granite counter tops or hardwood floors etc. but if these are important they could of course easily be added by a new owner (the house is priced with this in mind). It is located just outside the city limits, in the NW of Calgary, and therefore has easy access to the Kananskis, Bragg Creek, Cochrane etc. as well as being really close to town. And I can SEE horses! See http://comfree.com/2-storey-for-sale-springbank-alberta-537355 and certainly give me a shout if you want more info. (We have had cats since moving in, and they get to go out while we are here because of the Invisible Fence which of course works splendidly for dogs too.) (And our back neighbours are also ex-SA!)

Cheers - Clare

• Like 1

Hi Ingrid - you have probably looked at the ad of our house for sale already, but on reading of your desire to "breathe" and that you love the view of the mountains etc. I just had to write. The reasons we are living here are much the same. The city lots are SO tiny, and we hate the feeling of being hemmed in. We designed our home specifically to capture the views from every window, and get plenty of sunlight. It is truly Heaven on Earth here. The home is not full of fancy appliances or granite counter tops or hardwood floors etc. but if these are important they could of course easily be added by a new owner (the house is priced with this in mind). It is located just outside the city limits, in the NW of Calgary, and therefore has easy access to the Kananskis, Bragg Creek, Cochrane etc. as well as being really close to town. And I can SEE horses! See http://comfree.com/2-storey-for-sale-springbank-alberta-537355 and certainly give me a shout if you want more info. (We have had cats since moving in, and they get to go out while we are here because of the Invisible Fence which of course works splendidly for dogs too.) (And our back neighbours are also ex-SA!)

Cheers - Clare

I will go and look right away! Thank you. You sound like me! :hug::cowboy:

Clare, your house is beautiful but way too big for two people.No kids trekking with us!

Also way out of our price range. But stunning it is!!! :ilikeit:

wickmac

I know you are from SA when you say it's too big!! Those who've been to see it so far love it, but it's too SMALL for their needs! (It doesn't have a basement which most people factor in as living area).

That's a shame it won't work for you. I'll keep my eyes open along with others for somewhere for you to rent. Do look in the outskirts of Calgary too though (such as Springbank and Cochrane) as sometimes there are rentals there that are reasonably priced (not the houses necessarily, but basement suites). I'll keep a check in the local papers too. (What a shame we don't have a basement!)

• Like 1

I know you are from SA when you say it's too big!! Those who've been to see it so far love it, but it's too SMALL for their needs! (It doesn't have a basement which most people factor in as living area).

That's a shame it won't work for you. I'll keep my eyes open along with others for somewhere for you to rent. Do look in the outskirts of Calgary too though (such as Springbank and Cochrane) as sometimes there are rentals there that are reasonably priced (not the houses necessarily, but basement suites). I'll keep a check in the local papers too. (What a shame we don't have a basement!)

We're in a 5 bedr. now and with only hubby and I moving, the less cleaning i have to do, the better! :ph34r:B)

Commuting from Springbank looks challenging. We have looked at cochrane as one of hubby's colleagues lives out there.

Found a basement suite on a farm in Springbank after looking at your post - haven't heard back yet.

Thank for caring. :)

Found a house to rent today...now it is down to packing for real! B)

• Like 1

shawman

That's fantastic news, you must be so relieved.

• Like 1

That's fantastic news, you must be so relieved.

Yes, thank you - we are !

We have taken a one-year lease so that we can determine after that where we want to move, and IF we want to buy or not.

Not sure at this stage we'd stay in Alberta long-term, especially when the first grandkids start coming.... :holy::holy::holy:

M-N

That's great news! Have fun packing!

• Like 1

That's great news! Have fun packing!

Thank you, but who has fun packing, eh?! :rolleyes:

Edited by Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Sideline

Super news Ingrid & Eric. See you soon :-)

• Like 1

Super news Ingrid & Eric. See you soon :-)

Our lease is from Dec. 1st, but house is available now already.

Sooo....we will be there asap! :cowboy:

• Like 2

New Ventures

Cool! Enjoy packing!

• Like 1

Jules

Happy to hear. Congrats
  • Like 1

Great news Ingrid, all the best. Life takes us on many twists and turns but all works out in the end.

Thanks everyone. :ilikeit:

Still a bit unreal that we are leaving and by now i can write an article on the nature of the rental property market in Calgary, right down to clauses that don't allow under 18 kids to live in certain portents/condos, etc.

Calgary is such a small city compared to Vancouver, but it certainly has a character and will of its own when it comes to these things.

Fortunately these scammers and unfriendly, greedy people make up a very small % of the population of Calgary. When I stayed there a few years back for 3 months or so while hubby was woking on the airport, I experienced the true side of Albertans: friendly, hospitable, and real. Especially if you love horses. Then you are accepted,welcomed and loved back on the spot.... :whistling::cowboy:

Moving day is fast approaching... :cowboy:

M-N

Moving day is fast approaching... :cowboy:

Good luck and hope you enjoy Cowtown! :)

• Like 1