Sign in to follow this  
Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Looks like we are moving to Calgary...

Work offer for my husband came through officially this morning so we will be packing and moving as soon as all our ducks are in a row.

Looking for a pet-friendly place in the NW, preferably within smelling-distnce of horses. :cowboy:

PS. We are currently in Ladner, BC if anyone is coming over from SA and needing to find accommodation, our landlord is open to someone else taking over the house under a new lease agreement. We currently have a lease that expires end of December 2014.

• Like 1

Sideline

Congrats Ingrid and family. I can't offer direct help on that one, but will PM you some details as to who you can contact for some help in property etc.

• Like 1

Congrats Ingrid and family. I can't offer direct help on that one, but will PM you some details as to who you can contact for some help in property etc.

Thank you - that will be very helpful.

I have scanned dozens of websites with property listings but someone who is right there, would be way more effective. :ilikeit:

canuck nick

Congrats Ingrid. Better get your snow boots ready.

• Like 1

Congrats Ingrid. Better get your snow boots ready.

Will have to dust them off as we haven't worn them in a while, but we will be ready! :lol:

M-N

Will have to dust them off as we haven't worn them in a while, but we will be ready! :lol:

Yay Calgary! Lol, good luck with everything. Will definitely see you around as we'll probably also be looking in the NW area.

• Like 1

Nelline

Happy for you Ingrid!

• Like 1

InSync

Good Luck with the move and PM me if you need any insight as I just moved out of the NW area two months ago :cowboy:

• Like 1

New Ventures

Great! I hope you are still around there towards end 2015. We hope to land then, and I would like to meet up with you. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Jules

Congrats. New adventure:-)

• Like 1

Congrats to Hubbie on the new job Ingrid! Leaving BC for Calgary, going to be quite an adjustment. But hey we ex Saffers are strong.

:whistling: Not sure which is better, Showers BC, where you feel like a young one with wet diaper on all day or Confusion in Calgary where it snows for breakfast, rains for lunch and sun comes out just in time for sunset? :D Now wait for the comeback from my comrades out West :badidea:

Dorah

Congrats Ingrid.

• Like 1

Dorah

Congrats Ingrid.

• Like 1

ChrysAnne

Hi Ingrid

Why specifically NW? SW or SE are super quadrants too. We stay in Silverado SW, right behind us is the largest Equestrian grounds Spruce Meadows and yes, we literally smell the horses ?

We were lucky enough to land a good rental on kijiji. Rentfaster.ca is another website to maybe look at but I will keep my ears on the ground for a NW place.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Sideline

We are also out in east in Chestermere. It's a lake side (fresh running water, not standing lake) town and there are enough horse farms etc out here to think you live "platteland" but we are close enough to the city, less than 10 min, to enjoy that if need be. Also for airport access etc we are about 10 min away as well. Best of all worlds. Amongst the Fastest growing places outside Calgary, quite and peaceful enough still to be a small community, and a "holiday" feel all year round. But living here makes us a tad more biased. :-)

• Like 1

Thank you for all the wonderful responses. I was hoping to reply individually but haven't had the time to do that yet.

Maybe this will help:

1. Hubby's office will be in NW Calgary. His immediate boss commutes from Cochrane.

2. After taking care of some health issues, I will be -hopefully- freelancing as a photojournalist, so doesn't really matter to me where we are, as long as I can breathe. Not a townhouse/gated community-type-of-person. When we lived in Langley, BC the first few yrs after moving up to Canada from the USA, we rented a real plaashuis on a 60 acres' property. The owners had greenhouses but we were separated from all of that by trees and a creek. Loved it!

3. We have a cat and dog, so need a place that is pet-friendly.

I have to be truthful: I am horrified to see how rents have gone up since Calgary flooded.

We live in Metro-Vancouver and our rent for a 5 bedr., 2.5 bathrooms, double-garage, 2 living rooms plus den, etc just went up to $1894. Typical cookie-cutter suburbia-type housing. Try find that in Calgary nowadays at that rent, wow. Not!

We will be downsizing as it is just hubby and I who will be moving. He has spent time in Calgary twice whilst working on the airport. First time for six months, then six weeks. I spent about 3 mths of the time up there and fell in love with the platteand-area north and west of Airdrie, all the way to where PASU-farm is, etc. The views of the Rocky Mtns are just awesome, plus I love the fact that there are more trees further west. (Chestermere seems rather bare according to Google earth, Sideline....?)

Spruce Meadows-area is nice, ChrisAnne. I was there at one of the horse shows there as part of the media - absolutely stunning facilities!

Oh boy, decisions, decisions! :mellow:

Guest Petros

Congrats to Hubbie on the new job Ingrid! Leaving BC for Calgary, going to be quite an adjustment. But hey we ex Saffers are strong.

:whistling: Not sure which is better, Showers BC, where you feel like a young one with wet diaper on all day or Confusion in Calgary where it snows for breakfast, rains for lunch and sun comes out just in time for sunset? :D Now wait for the comeback from my comrades out West :badidea:

Flip ja --- :whistling: the West is best as they say

Sideline

(Chestermere seems rather bare according to Google earth, Sideline....?)

Oh boy, decisions, decisions! :mellow:

Hee hee, I am sure I did say "PLAT-teland" in describing Chestermere.

Here you find the closest hill and look east to see what next week will look like :-p

Rentals are insane here in Calgary as you said. That's why we pushed to buy so soon. We bought a place more than 3x in size from what we were renting for less monthly on the mortgage than the rent was.

Edited by Sideline
  • Like 1

Hee hee, I am sure I did say "PLAT-teland" in describing Chestermere.

Here you find the closest hill and look east to see what next week will look like :-p

Hehehe....Google earth looks distorted when it gets to your side of the country! :whistling::lol:

lgonsalves

Congrats! Good luck with the move and adjustments but I know you will do just fine being the strong willed person you are!! ;)

• Like 1

Chevelle

I have to be truthful: I am horrified to see how rents have gone up since Calgary flooded.

We live in Metro-Vancouver and our rent for a 5 bedr., 2.5 bathrooms, double-garage, 2 living rooms plus den, etc just went up to $1894. Typical cookie-cutter suburbia-type housing. Try find that in Calgary nowadays at that rent, wow. Not!

Congrats Ingrid.!

Yes I feel the rental prices in Calgary are just ridiculous!!

• Like 1

Congrats! Good luck with the move and adjustments but I know you will do just fine being the strong willed person you are!! ;)

Thank you...but not so sure about the "strong-willed person," right now.

Small heart when it comes to our sons and this is the first time we will not be moving together as a family.

Why do kids have to grow up, sigh?! :mellow:

Congrats Ingrid.!

Yes I feel the rental prices in Calgary are just ridiculous!!

Thank you. :)

Rents are insane. We have a realtor helping us and some of the listings he has sent through are up to $1,000 more per mth. than our current home, and for less house. :huh:

Hendie

Geluk en alle voorspoed Ingrid. Calgary kan hulself gelukkig ag om julle te kry!

• Like 1