Sign in to follow this  
jodrih

Time to enter Canada after PR

jodrih

Dear Forum Members,

Hope everyone is well and that all applicants receive positive outcomes. Please help me.

I have been searching, but I am struggling to find an answer. If a family receive PR, is it called 'right of permanent residence',

one has to send the whole family's passports to Canadian Visa office in Pretoria ? What happens then, I read that the PR cards (?)

will only be sent to a Canadian address.......

Then, how much time will we as a family of four have to enter Canada from the date that PR is granted - for the sake of 'activating' PR.

I know we can stay in Canada if we want, but say we have a house or a business still to sell which we could not do before the initial trip,

how long will we then have to get back to Canada to avoid losing our status.

enjoy your day!

Jodrih

Jules

When we did it we had one year to enter Canada to activate the PR. They then mail the PR cards to a canadian address after you've landed in Canada. That's when the 5-year window of time opens (you need something like 3 years inside Canada out of every 5 years).

Some people land, activate PR and then go back to SA for a year or two.

• Like 1

GrantM

It's 1 year for your medicals date in order to activate PR.

Mae

We went in December to activate our PR. We were in Canada for a couple of weeks and came back to sell up and pack "our life" here . We gave a friends address in Canada as our Canadian address and that is where the PR cards were mailed to. My friend then sent us the cards via a courier so that we may re enter Canada next year.

MaryJane

I have been searching, but I am struggling to find an answer. If a family receive PR, is it called 'right of permanent residence',

one has to send the whole family's passports to Canadian Visa office in Pretoria ? What happens then, I read that the PR cards (?)

will only be sent to a Canadian address.......

Hi jodrih

The PR immigrant visa is affixed on the passport. It guarantees you a one-time entry into Canada (also called landing or activating PR). You then apply for the PR cards when you land. The cards take approximately 6-8 weeks to arrive at a Canadian address that you would have had to provide when you landed. As Mae suggested, you can give a friend's Canadian address and have the cards delivered there and then have the friend courier it to you in SA (if you go back after the initial landing).

Then, how much time will we as a family of four have to enter Canada from the date that PR is granted - for the sake of 'activating' PR.

You have 1 year from the date of your medical. If you went for medicals in January 2014, got your PR visas in April 2014, then you will have until January 2015 to land/activate PR.

I know we can stay in Canada if we want, but say we have a house or a business still to sell which we could not do before the initial trip,

how long will we then have to get back to Canada to avoid losing our status.

The residency obligation for a PR is that you have to be physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past 5 years. This would mean that if you land, then go back to SA, you have approximately 3 years before you have to return to Canada or you lose your PR status. I'd say to be on the safe side, plan to come back before the 3 years are up.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

dallant

Also,the time to land is also related to the validity of your passport.we had our medicals in February 2014,but my passport expires on 10 january 2015,so they gave us until 10 january to arrive in Canada.

Another precision is that 'right of permanent residence' is a fee that you pay, not the visa itself

FaithFUL
On 2014/10/28 at 7:17 PM, MaryJane said:

This would mean that if you land, then go back to SA, you have approximately 3 years before you have to return to Canada or you lose your PR status. I'd say to be on the safe side, plan to come back before the 3 years are up.

Does anyone know if the above is still applicable? My father in law has just been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer & with this sad news hubby is not keen to go to Canada if we by some miracle get PR within the next year. I have assured him that we could go over, activate the PR, have a look around & then come back. He likes this plan but I just need confirmation.

We would obviously need to give a friend's postal address for the cards to be delivered to & they then need to post it to South Africa for us.

Edited by FaithFUL

sueannejoe

Hi @MaryJane, if I land in Canada, am I not allowed to leave the country (eg go to the USA for a friend's wedding on a weekend) while I am waiting for the PR card to be delivered to the Canadian address?

FaithFUL
2 hours ago, sueannejoe said:

Hi @MaryJane, if I land in Canada, am I not allowed to leave the country (eg go to the USA for a friend's wedding on a weekend) while I am waiting for the PR card to be delivered to the Canadian address?

You can leave Canada, but my understanding is that you can't get back in without the PR card.

• Like 1

SunshineGirl
4 hours ago, FaithFUL said:

My father in law has just been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer

@FaithFUL, I am sorry to hear this sad news for your family.  XX

• Like 1

GerdaT
6 hours ago, FaithFUL said:

Does anyone know if the above is still applicable? My father in law has just been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer & with this sad news hubby is not keen to go to Canada if we by some miracle get PR within the next year. I have assured him that we could go over, activate the PR, have a look around & then come back. He likes this plan but I just need confirmation.

We would obviously need to give a friend's postal address for the cards to be delivered to & they then need to post it to South Africa for us.

According to me, that process is still applicable. It is our plan as well.

So sorry so hear about your father in law. All the best!?

• Like 1

MaryJane
On 2017-07-07 at 10:18 AM, sueannejoe said:

You should be able to leave Canada even without getting the PR card. You'd need the card to come back. If you don't have it by then, you might need to apply for a one-time PRTD (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/) to get back in.

• Like 1

Jules

Sorry about the health news. That is horrible even at the best of times and beyond words when sandwiched between emigrating. 

Only silver lining is that when combining the time from getting the PR visa in your passport, landing to activate and the time allowed outside Canada after activating PR,  you have about 3 years. Plus you could still be several months to year before getting approved so the timeline could be pushing almost 4 years.

sueannejoe

Hi @MaryJane, should i apply for this travel document while I am in SA now or should I wait until I land in Canada in October? 

MaryJane
5 hours ago, sueannejoe said:

Hi @MaryJane, should i apply for this travel document while I am in SA now or should I wait until I land in Canada in October? 

You need to land first. You will need copies of the landed documents when you submit this application.

• Like 1

sueannejoe

Thanks so much for clarifying this @MaryJane :) Much appreciated