Old Van

Lower Mainland Social Initiative

Old Van

Ok, so can we have a head count? I know Petros's head has already rolled! :D

Who's coming to the FVOBC meeting?

• Like 1

ENGinCT

Still 4pm?

I wouldn't mind a slightly earlier start, if possible...

Joleen

Petros, Petros, Petros.... sigh.... :yawn:

After reading your elegant attempt at lighthearted castigation, I feel compelled to react, even if it might bring down the Lower Mainland Social Initiative, hastily reformed to the Fraser Valley Old Boys Club (? I guess) on my feminist head:

Please don't project your insecurities about being able to stay faithful to your wife on me. If you are committed to your spouse I can assure you it really doesn't take that much to appreciate the sight of a very handsome man (in your case a woman, I presume) without even thinking of falling in love with that person.

2. Just a quick click:

Blackmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackmail

Blackmail is an act, often a crime, involving unjustified threats to make a gain or cause loss to another unless a demand is met. It may be defined as coercion involving threats of physical harm, threat of criminal prosecution, or threats for the purposes of taking the person's money or property.

I rest my case on this point.

Old Van, seeing that this is now a male initiative, but still with no age restriction, I volunteer my 5 year old son's Boy Scout group to attend, as it seems attendance has dwindled a bit. Unfortunately he will have to bring his two brothers ages 3 and 1 along, as he has to baby sit while my husband and I enjoy a late screening of last night's rugby match between the Boks and England with our fellow male and female rugby fanatic friends. I see it promises to be an exuberant affair, as I could not help but peek at the score this morning. We will also be enjoying some Roodeberg and prime rib on the spit.

You enjoy your outing!

Joleen

PS: Petros, that very handsome, pretty buxom girl at the Black Sheep; yes, the friendly one that seems to hover around your table and hold your gaze just that second longer: Petros, Petros... She is not finding you exeptionally handsome, she is not falling in love with you, she is not into you at all, she is just serving you beer and being very friendly, in anticipation of a bigger tip.

Petros, I presume that Joleen's husband didn't make it to the afternoon out for the manne..... :D

Old Van

Joleen, call it what you will:

Fraser Valley Old Boys Club
Fraser Valley Ousted Boere Club
Fraser Valley “Old Ballie” Club
Fraser Valley Outcast Brethren Club
Fraser Valley Once Banished Club

We had a great turnout tonight. Six guys, and we had a really good time. Thanks to all the guys that showed up. The next get together is already scheduled and details will follow.

Joleen, we didn't spot your boys there, and yes there is no age restriction. But it would be great if you could cut your hubby and the boys loose next time. ;)

We figure there's the section on the forum called "For the ladies only (21+). Contact a host for access". So it seems there also a desire for the women folk to interact exclusively with their gender. Just saying. :)

Edited by Old Van
  • Like 2

East to West Coast

To the FVOBC and all that missed the get together, thank you for a great time yesterday at the Black Sheep Pub.

I have to confess, if John had not told me he was going and invited me with and without the encouragment of my wife I don't think I would have gone. We all have experienced it going to a event and not expecting to have a good time and lo and behold ending up having a great time.

Again I learnt never under estimate the value of networking and meeting with fellow South Africans or whatever you want to call us.

I have done some crazy thing for a beer but I have never travellled for an hour to get to a pub to drink a beer. Funny enough it ended up being not about drinking a beer.. Rather spending time laughing, joking and some sharing of our experiences so far.

This is something I would recommend to everybody.

The banter prior to the get together I unfortunately missed. Reading it now I can not help but smile.

To the five other guys: We never thought of a secret handshake!

Watch this space, next month we will meet in Ladner.

Thank you once again!

• Like 1

Cathy K

I truly like this. Us ladies find it easier to connect with kindred spirits, and few realise that the men need it too. So glad you all enjoyed it.

One of our friends started a breakfast club for male South African retirees in Nanaimo. They get together once a week for breakfast.

Old Van

Nice to hear Cathy. As Hans says "it's not about the beer". We could have done it with coffee, soft drinks, or no drinks at all. We didn't have to be at a pub, we could have been anywhere. It is about experiences, shared knowledge, support and new friendships.

ENGinCT

+1... but let's stick to pubs!

Guest Petros

6 interpid Saffers - excellent well worth the drive and the time with good fellows. Maybe next time more chaps will get the nod from their spouses and join in.

Guest Petros

To the fair Jolene I am sensing some aggression (but I could be wrong). At least you recognise the elegance in the post and that it was meant humorously.

My initial response was that I wanted to point out that this is exactly what happens when children are home schooled. They don't realise that the golden and absolute rule on any playgorund (way before any thought of feminism is planted in a childs mind) is that girls and little boys never ever (ever) join the big boys unless specifically invited to do so. I would say that its genetic and almost an absolute truth for the human condition. This analogy is true for pretty much any collection of people anywhere. All the way from the worlds super powers and whom they allow into their respective organizations. Down to the Boy Scouts ---- hmmmm.

But as I am a pretty prudent type of fellow I won't.

Either way I honestly dont care if your husband or anyone else joins in. Those that do have fun and I am really glad that they do. Ok now I am bored with you so I wont be responding anything else you post related to your issues around a mens get together.

Petros, I think its great gathering with the boys for a pow-wow. As we have all experienced this immigration is a two-step journey, first its gathering those docs and playing the waiting game etc. That second step is arriving and having to go through that stressful settling in process. After five years I still get together with one or two South African buddies to reminisce about this journey we have taken. I for one am extremely grateful for these talks with the lads. Keep up the initiative, respect to both you and Van!

East to West Coast

Hi from the Lads from Ladner, we will be doing a recce tomorrow to confirm the venue & availability.

Another excuse to have a beer!

We will let you know soonest.

Old Van

Whoohooo!

ENGinCT

Don't go all 'MIA' during your recce... you have a mission to complete first!

:-)

Hi from the Lads from Ladner, we will be doing a recce tomorrow to confirm the venue & availability.

Another excuse to have a beer!

We will let you know soonest.

Hans that's your story and you sticking with it...

East to West Coast

The beer was refreshing and we made it back safely from our recce!

We decided to invite the gents to a Ladner local. Not your main stream pub. The Rusty Anchor at the Captain's Cove Marina is where we will meet on Saturday, December 6 at 4pm.

The pub is situated at the end of Ferry Road in the Marina situated next to the Ladner boat launch ramp (6100 Ferry Road, Delta, BC,

V4K 3M9)

The invitation is open to all gentlemen!

Let us know if you are joining us.

Old Van

I'm there like a bear! And I'll bring Dave.

ENGinCT

In like Flynn...

Gents, how about we start just a tad earlier - say 3pm?

Edited by ENGinCT

East to West Coast

Great!

Any other gents tempted to join us?

The last one was really chilled and it was a great time spent chatting with fellow SA fellas

ENGinCT I might battle to make 3pm I will ask John if he can possibily meet you earlier. If you tell him you are bringing your fishing rod I am sure he will make a plan.

ENGinCT

No need, if we can't all make 3pm then 4pm is fine with me.

I just hoped to see something on the drive out (scenery, etc)... at 4pm it will be dark-ish!

East to West Coast

Canuck Nick are you joining us.

ENGinCT it will be worth your while to come earlier and going to the Ladner Village or drive out to the farms or visit Tsawwassen.

Let me know if you do come earlier.

canuck nick

no can do for this weekend. I will try to be at the next one. It sounds great fun. I will call for one in the near future, maybe in Coquitlam or Burnaby this time.