Danie.v.H

That Painfull Question - HOW MUCH ??

M-N

Well that was money spent this morning to have my hopes dashed. I only have 338 points for EE and would only qualify for PNP in Saskatchewan. It's back to the drawing board for me.

Why not Saskatchewan. From what I have been told Saskatoon is a up and coming. Would be worth doing some homework on that.

ClaudiaJane

I have no problem going to Saskatchewan. It was actually one of the places I was thinking about when I said yesterday that I'm thinking about going somewhere that rolls off the tongue. I guess I just thought that I would have more points than I actually do. I'm prepared to try my luck and see if I get that invite. Just worried that the longer I wait the older I get and the less my points will be. Nobody said the Canadians were going to roll out a red carpet for me and I just have to get my head around these new developments.

M-N

I have no problem going to Saskatchewan. It was actually one of the places I was thinking about when I said yesterday that I'm thinking about going somewhere that rolls off the tongue. I guess I just thought that I would have more points than I actually do. I'm prepared to try my luck and see if I get that invite. Just worried that the longer I wait the older I get and the less my points will be. Nobody said the Canadians were going to roll out a red carpet for me and I just have to get my head around these new developments.

You have the right attitude. It gets some getting used to. Best of luck with it all.
  • Like 1

LadyAth

Is Saskatchewan a bad choice? I'm still trying to get beyond 'not eligible' in my CIC EE submission but I don't think my points would much different than yours, ClaudiaJane. Sas might be my only option too!

ClaudiaJane

No I don't think anywhere in Canada is a bad choice. The most important thing is to get in and then one can take things from there. Someone I spoke to earlier this week said to me "Canada isn't looking for people, people are looking for Canada" so we just have to find our little place in Canada. I'm going to go for all the tests/qualification assesments and do what needs to be done and hope and pray that things will work out like they should.

• Like 1

No I don't think anywhere in Canada is a bad choice. The most important thing is to get in and then one can take things from there. Someone I spoke to earlier this week said to me "Canada isn't looking for people, people are looking for Canada" so we just have to find our little place in Canada. I'm going to go for all the tests/qualification assesments and do what needs to be done and hope and pray that things will work out like they should.

Fortune favors the brave - or as Sideline says - YOU have the build the harbour in order for your ship to come in and dock! :ilikeit:

So with an attitude like that - you will succeed.

Jules

Yes I will be going on this journey in my own. I'm interested to know what you guys would define 'roughing it' as.

Roughing it would mean renting a basement apartment instead of a standalone house. Using public transit instead of owning a car. Buying barebones furniture instead of buying fancy upscale stuff in the first year. Watching your grocery bill. Not buying fancy clothes or toys in year one. Avoiding the temptation to spend like a tourist after you land - avoid touristy spots.

You can still enjoy life while roughing it.

MaryJane

Roughing it would mean renting a basement apartment instead of a standalone house. Using public transit instead of owning a car. Buying barebones furniture instead of buying fancy upscale stuff in the first year. Watching your grocery bill. Not buying fancy clothes or toys in year one. Avoiding the temptation to spend like a tourist after you land - avoid touristy spots.

Don't eat out regularly and don't watch movies often....and if you really feel you want to, do it on a Tuesday. Don't know who designated Tuesday to be the cheap day (when any day could have been okay. Imagine how Wednesday feels about this) but there it is, Tuesday Specials.

Agree with Jules. Lots of many other things to do that are free around here.

• Like 3

Tracey22

Well that was money spent this morning to have my hopes dashed. I only have 338 points for EE and would only qualify for PNP in Saskatchewan. It's back to the drawing board for me.

Ihttp://www.theloop.ca/9-canadian-towns-where-you-might-be-able-to-score-free-land/

You buy the land, develop it to at least the minimum requirements set by the city, and then get refunded for the cost of the land.

If I was desperate to come here, and only qualified for Saskatchewan,I would do this. Live in the city or a few years, get something going, and then move on to the next city and phase of my life.

• Like 1

Jules

Ihttp://www.theloop.ca/9-canadian-towns-where-you-might-be-able-to-score-free-land/

You buy the land, develop it to at least the minimum requirements set by the city, and then get refunded for the cost of the land.

If I was desperate to come here, and only qualified for Saskatchewan,I would do this. Live in the city or a few years, get something going, and then move on to the next city and phase of my life.

Different strokes for different folks. If I was forced to choose between Saskatchewan and Cape Town I would pack up and move back to CT.

I've said it before - the Ontario winter is my limit and I couldn't handle anything worse than that. By default that means I'm not cut out for places like Saskatchewan, Manitoba, northern Alberta and all of the northern provinces / territories.

Respect to all of you who thrive there.

• Like 1

OutOfSa

Different strokes for different folks. If I was forced to choose between Saskatchewan and Cape Town I would pack up and move back to CT.

I've said it before - the Ontario winter is my limit and I couldn't handle anything worse than that. By default that means I'm not cut out for places like Saskatchewan, Manitoba, northern Alberta and all of the northern provinces / territories.

Respect to all of you who thrive there.

NEVER !!!! in a million years would I even think of going back to CT.

Cold is cold, it does not perpetrate violent crime against you. :ph34r:

Once in, the sky's the limit - winter is just winter - it's cold and yes it can kill, but at least it does not rape you first.

Definitely different strokes.... :D

• Like 2

Is Saskatchewan a bad choice?

Any place in Canada is a good choice, if you consider the freedoms and quality of life Canadian citizenship offers you. It's a privilege, not one to be taken lightly of for granted.

ClaudiaJane

I agree with OutofSA. I might be cold but at least I'll be able to sleep and stay indoors while it's so cold without wondering when it will be my time to be robbed/hi-jacked. I'm a winter person so I'm hoping once I get there that will help a little bit but I am very aware that the winter in the Free State is nothing like the Canadian winters. I shall adapt and overcome.

Jester

That kind of sounds just like a sensible year one to me, the basement part possible roughing it but the rest definitely on the sensible side to make sure you're set up properly and don't get tempted to "Run Home" if things get a bit tight or tough.

So if that really is a closeish definition of roughing it I'd be quite chuffed :)

Edited by Jester

See it depends on how far roughing it would be in your definition...for some people roughing it would mean not having 10 cups of Starbucks in the morning whereas for others it would mean no coffee at all.

My only bit of advice which I think is crucial in this process is to plan ahead and ensure that your plans have backup plans and your backup plans have backup plans!

So do a little diversification with your funds / budget for these back up plans and you will not regret it. Some people may think I am crazy for stating that you would need around CAD $50k in your first year of landing just to survive but the reality is that you have no credit record per se so you would be using cash mostly as not many people / dealierships / rental agencies are willing to deal with a newly landed immigrant.

At the rate the ZAR is going this obviously equates to a ton of money...but each persons scenario is different.

Good luck!

That kind of sounds just like a sensible year one to me, the basement part possible roughing it but the rest definitely on the sensible side to make sure you're set up properly and don't get tempted to "Run Home" if things get a bit tight or tough.

So if that really is a closeish definition of roughing it I'd be quite chuffed :)

Some people may think I am crazy for stating that you would need around CAD $50k in your first year of landing just to survive but the reality is that you have no credit record per se so you would be using cash mostly as not many people / dealierships / rental agencies are willing to deal with a newly landed immigrant.

AShB, don’t think you crazy, 50K CAD is very realistic. There are a lot of other factors that come into play i.e. size of family, time it takes to land a job in Canada etc. I always caution people on the big black financial hole called immigration. This is the period after you land in Canada or any other country for that matter. Spend cautiously, plan wisely and you should be OK, and as per AshB, have that back-up plan.

Once to you experience the freedoms and quality of life Canada offers; it will be worth every dollar spent and every emotion experienced!

Totally agree there Lawrence!

AShB, don’t think you crazy, 50K CAD is very realistic. There are a lot of other factors that come into play i.e. size of family, time it takes to land a job in Canada etc. I always caution people on the big black financial hole called immigration. This is the period after you land in Canada or any other country for that matter. Spend cautiously, plan wisely and you should be OK, and as per AshB, have that back-up plan.

Once to you experience the freedoms and quality of life Canada offers; it will be worth every dollar spent and every emotion experienced!

SuzieQ
On 10/19/2014 at 8:42 PM, GrantM said:

R20000 for your skills to be assessed? Are you doing yours and your wife's? I just had my degree assessed and it was only R3000 plus R500 courier charge to get my transcripts send to WES.

I nearly just had heart failure- thought I missed something