Sign in to follow this  
Danie.v.H

That Painfull Question - HOW MUCH ??

Danie.v.H

Hi All

Browsing around and reading other posts I could not really come to a consensus to my wife's question. How Much is this Whole Immigration thing going to cost Us?.

I have basically shown her a list of costs that we need to pay (Excluding Flights). Am I shooting in the right direction or am I missing something out.

Application Fees

Main Member : $ 550

Spouse : $ 550

Two Kids : $ 300

Total : $ 1400 (+- R14 000)

Proof of funds : $21,971 (+- R220 000)

South African Home affairs Documents +- R 1000

Medication to help you cope with Home Affairs +- R300

Having our Skills assessed : $ 2000 (+- R20 000)

Sundries : R 5000

So Roughly I am putting it down to R 40 000 for the application process.

Total without flights and extra money we need to have R260 000 to do the process.

What am I missing.

Regards

Danie

Edited by Danie.v.H

MartinG

well, IF you mean "the whole thing", then you should also consider:

1. IELTS costs

2. Home Affair costs if you don't have all the docs

3. Courier costs

4. Medicals costs

5. The actual move (minus flights) i.e. shipping of containers, crates or excess baggage.

6. PR fees

etc....

Mae

Immigration is not cheap. Try to think of the bigger picture. You are investing in a new life for you and your family. Can you really put a price on that?

• Like 1

Danie.v.H

Hi Martin G

I have got Homeless affairs down plus the R 300 worth of Meds I am going to need to keep me Calm.

What is the PR fees you mention.

Mae

I defiantly can see immigration is not cheap. I am just trying to get a sense of what the must have budget is like so that I am either on par with my budget or need to work a couple of hundred more overtime hours to make up the difference.

As for the reason I guess we all wanting / Busy or have done the move, you perfectly right. There is no monetary value to that. Especially when you look at your kids and know that they would be the ones that will benefit in the end.

Cheers

Danie

Claire T

Hi Danie,

For the application itself, you first have to pay processing fees (application fees in your calculation) and then when your visa is about to be approved (around the time of medicals (+- R8500 for family of four)) you are also asked to pay the Right of Permanent Residence Fee. It will be for just you and your wife. Currently the cost is $490 each.

Also, just a point of clarification...

The proof of funds is not money that you have to pay to anyone, you just have to prove that you have access to it for when you move to Canada to sustain your family and yourself until such time as you find a job and start earning Canadian $.

Edited by Claire T

Danie.v.H

Hi Claire

Thanks for that.

Regards

Danie

GrantM

R20000 for your skills to be assessed? Are you doing yours and your wife's? I just had my degree assessed and it was only R3000 plus R500 courier charge to get my transcripts send to WES.

Danie.v.H

Hi Grant

I read on the various websites (WES, Computer Society and my Wife's Public relations Society) that each would be around $400 with courier services so I added some meat for in case hence the $2000.

If I may ask what NOC are you guys going under.

Regards

Danie

New Ventures

If all goes to plan, our family of 4's costs will be around R 35k to 40k to get visas in our passports. Not cheap, but hopefully worth it!

Queque

Its still much cheaper than Aus (approx. 8,500 AUS$ just for the non sponsored visa)

Jules

If all goes to plan, our family of 4's costs will be around R 35k to 40k to get visas in our passports. Not cheap, but hopefully worth it!

Considering the crime risk in SA: a R10 000 cost per life for a safer existance is cheap.
  • Like 7

Sideline

Hi All

Browsing around and reading other posts I could not really come to a consensus to my wife's question. How Much is this Whole Immigration thing going to cost Us?.

So Roughly I am putting it down to R 40 000 for the application process.

What am I missing.

Regards

Danie

Danie,

Another round of that scary ugly truth. Your calculations are roughly correct (and roughly will evaporate soon when you read this). The proof of funds is just a matter of funds you have access to (profit from selling assets, retirements funds, investments etc) to show that you have money to live off when you arrive. It can take up to 3 or 4 months to get really settled, so you need Cash to see you through.

BUT, yes always a BUT!

Some have given you the various things to think about. The 40k is JUST the application costs. Maybe buffer in another 10k for the final RPRF (right of permanent residence fee) or what ever it's called now.

So we are up to 50k. NEXT -

Shipping any extra stuff you might want. Now some have arrived with nothing other than a suit case (kaalg4t) as it were, and some have shipped almost entire households across. Lets be conservative and keep it as a "maybe" but rather budget it in. Another 50k

Flights for a family of 4 will likely cost you around 50k (of course not factoring in exchange rates and price increases etc).

Ok we are at 150k (excluding proof of funds).

Now we arrive in Canada, we have nothing to start with. Here is where we need acces to those proof of funds.

We need a car (maybe but again lets price it in) a fairly good pre-owned car will cost around 5k CAD (another 50k ZAR) and you can get cheaper and far more pricey of course, but lets keep it simple. Oh add in maybe at least CAD 1200 for car insurance -annual cost- (yes you will be ripped a new one on insurance here but you don't really have a choice).

Next accommodation, renting a 2 or 3 bed apartment to start with (maybe you want a house and will get one but that comes in more expensive). First and last months rent at roughly 1500 CAD a month, so 3000 CAD (30k in ZAR). I am not sure on costs in all places, but that should about cover most places (unfurnished but incl washer, dryer, dishwasher, sometimes a microwave, and fridge). Occasionally you might find a furnished place but the costs I have no idea on.

Next is furniture, utensils, bedding, more suitable clothing, food, utilities, gas for the car, various sundries you can't think of. Add another 30 to 50k into your mix.

Remember maybe you arrived with just a suitcase so you need to build up a life from absolute zero. These will quickly drain your pocket money (yes your proof of funds is pocket money when you are slashing it by 10:1)

Your assumption on R260,000 (yes read that again and again and again - it really is two hundred and sixty thousand rand) will get you to Canada and past your first month or three. Of course this is dependent on your needs (car, accommodation, if you are shipping stuff over or starting back in college dorm room living/sleeping on the floor and using boxes for tables and so forth) the less "stuff" you need the further that money will stretch. However with two kids and a spouse, mattresses on a floor and boxes for tables only remains novel for a day or two. :-)

In short a family of 4 settling in I would estimate you need closer to 300k just to be "easier" minded with the process. That's excluding the first 100k on just getting your application/visas/flights to get to Canada (and depending on the route you choose maybe a year or two of your life).

Another reality check - without any punches pulled- To settle in at averagely comfortable I would throw out a number of about R1 million - I know many will gulp a few times at that number and say it's impossible, but your numbers need to be realistic. Remember that you are giving up EVERYTHING! So calculate everything in your life right now and what it would cost to get you back to that comfort level. Add in the extra stress of a new country, a new routine, a new way of doing things, a new culture shock to your entire perspective of life, a thousand things you take for granted everyday that won't be at your finger tips. Do you really need the extra stress of financial pressures, and that destroys marriages quickly, when your safety and security are no longer uncertain, but suddenly your financial safety net and security blanket (yes whatever savings you have can and does influence your happiness in one or another way) are nearing devastating depletion?

I am not in any way saying you can't make it work on a far lesser number, but when the truth be told and we don't pull any punches a family of 4 that lives in fairly reasonable comfort in SA, just can't imagine that giving up everything and starting from scratch will find comfort in starting out at R250k and this will be sufficient.

Now the light at the end of this truth bomb. When you start to earn Canadian dollars and have regular income you do accelerate ahead fairly quickly and your savings do start to recover these mountains of cash you laid out. It's not all doom and gloom, but sometimes people forget that there is a cost beyond just the application and the euphoric dream like state of getting to Canada. Life is what hit most of us in the face like a tonne of bricks and 40 tonnes of lead sitting on your chest when the dream is over and your poor ZAR flows like the Nile river when you start out this side.

So now that you have another dose of truth, you might need to re-evaluate that LSD trip you were thinking on. I am not saying don't do it, just know for every R50k you use on that trip you have R50k less to do the stuff that really matters when you arrive here.

Even with all that said, the price is very cheap in return for what you get out of this journey.

Everything in life has a price, but not everything has a value. Yet anything that has value, cant always have a price.

Think on that for a bit and settle in for a really interesting chat with the family.

Good luck to you.

Edited by Sideline
  • Like 2

GrantM

Hi Grant

I read on the various websites (WES, Computer Society and my Wife's Public relations Society) that each would be around $400 with courier services so I added some meat for in case hence the $2000.

Regards

Danie

sure 0111 financial managers. I only had my degree assessed, didnt do anything for my partner.

GrantM

Hi Grant

Regards

Danie

sure 0111 financial managers. I only had my degree assessed, didnt do anything for my partner.

I'm with GrantM.

$2000 for skills assessment is excessive. Ours were about $280 through WES and about R300 for courier fees. And it is only the main applicant's skills which have to be assessed. I will do my WES skills assessment closer to us actually going there (just to show on my Resume that my degree is recognised in Canada for prospective employers).

Danie.v.H

Sideline Gulp is not the word. I suddenly saw my whole dream go bang. But you revived it at the end a bit.

Would it be easier to go as main applicant first and then try settle with the rest following two or three months later.

Werner / Grant ... When you apply don't you have to submit all the relevant skills assessments and qualifications.

AnelleR2008

I am not going to talk on the financial side of things as our situation was very different (the company pretty much paid for everything)

BUT I will comment on your last post: For me personally I think it would have been terrible to have had dh leave 2-3 months before me. This is for a number of reasons. It would mean that we would have had to stay behind in South Africa where things are already volatile. That in effect we would be paying to run 2 households. Also, I just LOVED experiencing all the firsts as a couple/family (however, I wouldn't make that the primary deciding factor)

Sideline

Sideline Gulp is not the word. I suddenly saw my whole dream go bang. But you revived it at the end a bit.

Would it be easier to go as main applicant first and then try settle with the rest following two or three months later.

Daniel,

I apologize if that post scared the living dreamer out of you. That is not the intention. I just want to show you and others that are on this journey that there is so much more to emigrating from one country to another than the simple application. Often we forget the reality side of literally starting over and what those scary costs are.

Like I said, you can start with the bare minimum, as in the proof of funds, but lets face it. Those are stats that the government has used based on info they collect. They are saying that is the ABSOLUTE minimum you need to "survive" and start out here. Lets face it, in terms of survival we each have our own needs and what I think I can survive on won't be what you need. Also the bare min survival numbers (money) is getting by with the basic of basic of basic requirements. The rental assumptions that are used in those numbers are from the dark ages. The cost of food used is for "pap en tik" living. No luxuries in that.

When you are up and running (and here I am going to assume immense amounts, hopefully those with 4 plus family members that are living here and especially those that have settled in the last year will correct me here), your monthly "running costs" are about $2200 a month. This includes rent/mortgage, food, insurance etc. you know the normal monthly expenses.

BUT, yes that ugly word again, to get there is the big cost. I would say we blew through about $20k (R200k) in the first few weeks to about 2 months of starting out here. Ok we did get a better car and we paid in cash so we wouldn't have the hassle of finance. Finance is not impossible to get, but as a new arrival in Canada you could quickly be screwed on the interest rates for the "privilege" of being offered credit. Insurance and then rental (and deposit) plus the set up for moving into our first rental was pricey, but we kept costs down.

Then getting a credit card sometimes comes with a cost. The cost is the security deposit you have to pay. You get a $1000 credit limit but you pay a security deposit of $1000 for it. Note not everyone is charged this deposit and if you have a job you can get past the deposit requirement.

Setting up utilities can require a few hundred $ deposit. Again, not much in Canadian terms, but calculate that in ZAR, YIKES!

So as you see the initial setup is the costly part. You can stretch those funds if need be, but sometimes you are just going to spend money you just don't budget for. Eventually you do get income, with a job, and the flood gates slow and then trickle to a stop and you start filling that hole you watched draining your savings.

I can't tell you if coming over as a main applicant is better or not, but I can say it magnifies your expenses. You now have 10x more stress and twelve times the running costs. You are spending maybe $1000 (R10,000) on rent for a single person on a small apartment. Also remember you might try save here but will a family of 4 fit in that space in 2 months time? So you might need to spend more on rental here for space you are not using. Then you have all your groceries and other things for the single person. Let round this all off to $1500 (R15,000) a month including rent etc.

Then you are still supporting the family back in SA. What are the expenses here? Medical, rent, food, petrol, all the stuff you pay now. It's not a hell of a lot less than you spend now. Lets "guesstimate" your SA living costs are about R15,000 a month ($1500).

Suddenly you are spending R30k a month on living in two countries, and you haven't even spent the monies to set up in Canada, get the family here etc etc.

Is it adviseable? Well you know what you can tolerate and where your monies are at. That answer you can solve yourself. I just gave you things you are not thinking of with this choice. Then there is the emotional costs of being apart and the stress that goes into that.

It can be done, and there are members that have done it, but they might share their experiences, maybe not the costs, with you on the do-able part.

Again, I am not trying to blow up your dreams, just giving you the nuts and bolts of what you are not putting into your dreams.

All of this can be done very successfully on the bare basic requirements, yet I know there are many many people here than can tell you of the tests they went through when there was literally no cushion to fall on. Times can get tough and if you plan for those, it's a lot easier to deal with.

I like to refer back to an interesting quote I heard once. "Having money doesn't make you happy, but I prefer crying in a Mercedes than on a street corner in a cardboard box".

Now a lot of the numbers I have used are just to illustrate the issues. They are not to be taken as fact, merely to help you put a real world feeling/understanding to the questions. Your personal finances are your own knowledge and how you make this work is all possible within your budgeting. I just want you to face the other side of dreaming. It's never as real as when those ZARs start disappearing into the sunset and you can't understand why you never budgeted for it.

Ask away, I know you now have 300 more questions. :-)

Edited by Sideline

Guest Petros

Sideline is 100% correct you will not have much left over from R1 mill after the first 12 months here, I know its scary but its the truth. Yes you can do it on between R500k and R1 mil but you will feel a lot of pain and stress.

Less than R500 and you better be very very very prepared for a hard time.

Family of 4 survives on $2500 per month (anything less then you eating a lot of beans and noodles)

The recovery once you start working and have settled is fast.

Is it worth it ----- hell YES!!!

Edited by Petros

Old Van

Yes, I think the short answer to "how much?" is: everything you have!

But like Petros says, it's definitely worth it! I came with more than enough and almost lost all of it through stupid investments, so don't let the $$$ influence you too much as there are much more important considerations.

Yes, I think the short answer to "how much?" is: everything you have!

And bring your Rands with you as soon as you can! At R10 to $1Can who knows where it will be in a few years time?

Jules

Sideline is 100% correct you will not have much left over from R1 mill after the first 12 months here, I know its scary but its the truth. Yes you can do it on between R500k and R1 mil but you will feel a lot of pain and stress.

Less than R500 and you better be very very very prepared for a hard time.

Family of 4 survives on $2500 per month (anything less then you eating a lot of beans and noodles)

The recovery once you start working and have settled is fast.

Is it worth it ----- hell YES!!!

Just eat mac & cheese. $1 per box lol

GrantM

Werner / Grant ... When you apply don't you have to submit all the relevant skills assessments and qualifications.

Yep, but I guess it just depends on your qualifications. I only have a bachelors degree so I just had to have one verified. My partner has like a billion certificates and diplomas but only mine is needed for the application as I am the primary applicant.

She may need to have them verified in order to get work over there but we will cross that bridge when we are there.

I didn't get her to do IELTs either to try minimise the initial cash outlaw because I calculated that we should have enough points.

Queque

I haven't done the living expenses calculations yet :(

Coming over as a lone ranger, to Toronto (at least its not Vancouver), what can I expect to be paying on rent and food, public transport (is it sufficient), etc?

I'm also not sure if I'd store my household items in SA for a couple months in case I have to come back to SA, or ship everything with me. I guess if my employer pays for relocation then I will bring everything over though. Decisions, decisions....

Anjonet

I'm glad Queque asked the question, because I too am going over on my own with no dependents. Since everyone is discussing the costs in terms of a family of 4, it is a bit hard filter out what the real costs are for a single person going over and settling in. Any thoughts or advise you guys can give about things to consider in getting through the process, since I don't have kids to worry about?