Sign in to follow this  
Team R

FSW applications submitted in May 2014

Pampoentjie

Thanks GrantM.

No it applies only to walk ins. They accept people into the consulate (non Canadians) only on the first Tuesday of the month no other days.

Couriers are accepted any day of the week.

GrantM

Thanks GrantM.

No it applies only to walk ins. They accept people into the consulate (non Canadians) only on the first Tuesday of the month no other days.

Couriers are accepted any day of the week.

Just to be safe I'm going to find a Canadian courier :ph34r:

How will you be sending your Visas?

Edited by GrantM

Pampoentjie

Well that or... dress up as a DHL delivery dude.

Via courier probably or by hand at VCS.

Edited by Pampoentjie

GrantM

Well that or... dress up as a DHL delivery dude.

Via courier probably or by hand at VCS.

Do you mean VFS?

PS - I found my DHL delivery guy - should get there quickly when the time comes cause he doesn't take crap.

Habana.jpg

• Like 1

Claire T

Thanks Millaberry!

Yes! We got our passport requests yesterday afternoon!

So thrilled and excited. Today I can't hold 2 straight thoughts in my head....so much to do, so little time...

@ Pampoentjie: WOW! That was super fast for you guys! Congrats!

Millaberry

@ Claire T - So happy for you!!

All the best - when are you planning on leaving?

Please let me know what is more stressful - the application process or packing up!

AndrewT

@ Claire T - So happy for you!!

All the best - when are you planning on leaving?

Please let me know what is more stressful - the application process or packing up!

We are planning on leaving in April after we hand over our house to the new owners.

We put our house on sale in early December expecting PPR to be quick and sale of house potentially to take months (and with 2 small children we didn't want to have to fly over to do our landing, then fly back to sell the house, then fly over again, as others have done).

Unfortunately it turned out the other way around. We got an offer on the house before the first show day. And the buyer was currently renting, so there was no condition of sale on his side. And he only wanted to move in April when his lease expired. So a very clean offer... except we still didn't have our PPR's. So we put a conditional clause on getting our PPR within the next few weeks.

That didn't happen, but we decided to take a chance and sell anyway, as it seemed to be the right move strategically. We figured that if the PPR didn't come through in time, there were always other plans we could make... short term accommodation, stay with friends or family, take a sabbatical in a cheaper part of the country, go stay in the Kruger (not really, but it was a nice thought).

One miscalculation was that I'd forgotten that my company's termination period is 1.5 calendar months' notice, so we needed to get our PPR's before Monday 16th February or switch to plan B.

So Claire and I were ecstatic to get our PPR's yesterday, pretty much in the nick of time. The gamble paid off, but I'm not sure the stress of the past 2 weeks was worth it. Hence my advice to @pampoentjie yesterday. I can't tell you how relieved I feel that she doesn't have to take any calculated risks now.

Edited by AndrewT

AndrewT

Well, we can't really compare them, because our packing process has been somewhat non-standard...
On 5th August last year I woke at around 2 AM, needing to go to the loo. As I got to the bedroom door I stepped into cold water. I opened the door to find half our house flooded. (I'm guessing it was the sound of running water that created the need for the loo in the first place!)
20140805_044255.jpg
I must say I felt pretty calm. There's no point in feeling miserable when it's already happened. And a little voice inside my head was saying that this might work out very well in kick-starting the preparation for emigration.
An extra bonus was that there was beautiful parquet under the sodden carpets. New carpeting is pretty toxic and parquet adds more value to a house. It's also much easier to clean when you have pre-schoolers spilling food and drinks. So insurance paid us out and this more than covered the cost of getting the parquet restored.
We went to stay with family during the week of renovations as the fine dust from the sanding is not good for little lungs (nor the smell of the sealant before it has hardened). We were also deliberately using it as a dry run for emigration packing. So prior to moving out the house we worked really hard to pack half of the contents of our house into the other half. As we packed each item away I recorded it into a spreadsheet as the start of our goods to follow list.
We moved back into the house in early October and got our "Processing Started" status a few days later on the 7th. Medical requests followed shortly on the 15th. So we didn't even bother unpacking half the boxes.
The packing and sorting is still a huge and very daunting undertaking. But we were very fortunate to have that "disaster" befall us, as it got both our renovation for selling and our packing process off to an early start. Left to our own devices, we would probably have procrastinated endlessly and been far less ready than we are now.
And on that note, I have to confess that I am procrastinating right now... time to go type up that resignation letter!
Edited by AndrewT

Claire T

I have just sent our passports and extra stuff off with UPS!

Thanks GrantM for the advice. They are super efficient, friendly and cheap! And they have a portable card machine! ;)

@Millaberry - As Andrew said we are planning on leaving at the end of April. There are suddenly so many things to do!!!

I would say that the application is more stressful, as once it's sent it's entirely out of your control and you have no information. At least with packing up, there's no shortage of things to do and you don't have to sit around wondering where you are in the system!

Millaberry

Claire T and Andrew T LOL I have had a good chuck reading your story!! - And your timing is impeccable! Or should I say PVO's timing is impeccable! Well all the best and thank you for providing me with at least 10min of not worrying about our application :D

But I am stressed (as if you cant be more filled with emotions applying for immigration) but it seems to me that so far we are the only applicants who have not received RPRF with our medicals!!!!!! Can anyone shed some light????

AndrewT

Claire T and Andrew T LOL I have had a good chuck reading your story!! - And your timing is impeccable! Or should I say PVO's timing is impeccable!

<snip>

Or maybe I should thank / blame @Sideline for the following promise / curse in another forum topic, where he wrote: "All things at the right time for the right reason. Your plans are of no interest to the universal time code. You will receive what you need exactly when you need it, no matter how much you need to control things" :-)

AndrewT

But I am stressed (as if you cant be more filled with emotions applying for immigration) but it seems to me that so far we are the only applicants who have not received RPRF with our medicals!!!!!! Can anyone shed some light????

We received one e-mail per family member to do the medicals. This was sent from some address @cic.gc.ca.

We received a separate e-mail from an address on a different domain (that's the part after the @): "PretImmigration@international.gc.ca". Its contents were along the following lines:

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada.

The following is required:

- Payment of the Right of Permanent Residence fee for yourself and your spouse to our office in Pretoria. Please refer to the

following link for the payment details: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/southafrica-afriquedusud/visas/fees-frais.aspx

Please provide us with a copy of the receipt if you make an on-line payment.

- Medical results. The medical examination instructions have been sent to you today in a separate e-mail.

We should receive the above mentioned fee and medical results within 60 days. Failure to meet this deadline may result in the refusal of your application.

The bit about medicals is highlighted in red above. I presume this is the e-mail that you didn't receive. Did you receive any e-mail from PretImmigration at all?

Have you checked your junk mail folder to make sure it wasn't incorrectly flagged as spam? Also, check whether your internet service provider has spam filtering set up on their side. Modify all spam filtering systems to make sure the following email domains will never be blocked by the spam filtering rules: international.gc.ca and cic.gc.ca.

Once you've double-checked that...

Why not send a very polite e-mail to the PVO mentioning that you have received your instruction to go for medicals, however you have noticed that other applicants tend to get the instructions to pay the RPRF at the same time. So you were just concerned that something might be amiss.

And ask them very politely if they can set your mind at ease that all is normal. Alternatively, apologize for wasting their time if in fact there is nothing unusual about not getting RPRF payment instructions at the same time as medical requests.

And, of course, don't forget to thank them for their assistance.

I have sent a few e-mails to PVO, none of which earned a reply beyond the standard "our policy is to reply within 30 days to routine requests" e-mail.

The first was back in mid-November to submit the proof of payment of the RPRF. It was very matter of fact. A typical get-straight-to-the-point South African e-mail which mentioned that I had caught the ENTER key on the numeric keypad with my elbow, causing the credit card payment to be submitted prematurely. I asked them to let me know whether this was a problem or not.

The most recent e-mail was sent on 27th January, and was much more polite and earnest, mentioning that I'd just discovered that my Internet Service Provider has junk mail filtering turned on and asking whether they were waiting for any information from me as it would be tragic to have my application rejected for something as avoidable as a blocked e-mail.

Obviously I'll never know if either of these e-mails made any difference to the processing times. However the last one couldn't have hurt, as we received our PPR's 2 weeks later.

[And presumably my ISP's spam filters hadn't done any damage after all... which was a relief as they don't store the junk mail that they filter out, so there was no way to tell].

Edited by AndrewT

Millaberry

Thank you Andrew for your reply!!

We have put ourselves in a situation in that we wish we had done a little more homework about submitting a application by ones self....when we started our application we were very much under the impression that you need to hire a representative... anyway that's what we did....it was really helpful in the beginning but now it seems to be our biggest frustration! :badidea:

So Andrew I wish I could check my spam to see if it came through but sadly I cant!

When I email the person in charge of our application about the RPRF she just replies that we will have communication in 3 - 5 months time..... we never seem to get an answer to our questions, and when we do they seem like ridiculous answers!!

We are thinking of cancelling the use of a representative - and just carry on with the rest by ourselves??? But we dont want this to delay our process?

Having said that I cant seem to get answers to my questions which may in fact delay the process anyway... :cry:

If anyway has any thoughts to share on this matter - please share as we really need to decide what to do and just would like to make sure I have thought this through

Claire T

We have our visas!!! YAAAAY! :ilikeit:

So now the reality of it is starting to set in and we realise just how much we have to do in the less than 9 weeks until we intend to leave! At least there is lots to do so I can't sit and think about all the sad stuff.

That's definitely the best adrenalin rush I've had in a while! :king:

• Like 2

Jules

So now the reality of it is starting to set in and we realise just how much we have to do in the less than 9 weeks until we intend to leave! At least there is lots to do so I can't sit and think about all the sad stuff.

Good feeling eh? :-)

Congratulations.

• Like 1

GrantM

Awesome stuff!!!!!!!!

Please may I ask that you post the process of submitting the visas and receiving them back?

Pampoentjie

Congratulations Claire T!!!!

Btw we picked up ours yesterday!!! What a feeling!!!!

Thanks for all the support on the forum. Now the journey really begins...

• Like 1

Claire T

Thank you everyone!

@GrantM - I presume you mean the process of submitting passports? When you get the passport requests, there is an extra annexure that you have to complete and you submit that completed form along with your passports and yet more photos to the High Commission in Pretoria. We used UPS this time (thanks to your advice!) and they were super efficient and cheap (+- R165 each way). You have to submit a prepaid return waybill with your package so that when it's ready they just send you an email informing you that it's ready for collection and you can pass on the instruction to the courier along with a letter of authorisation so that they may collect on your behalf. Easy peasy! :) From passport requests to getting them back took 9 days.

@ Jules - a really incredible feeling, and this is just the start!

@ Pampoentjie - Congratulations! When and where are you planning on landing? :)

Pampoentjie

@Claire T Our flights have been booked and will be departing 13 April 2015 to the US and then cross the border on 18 April. Super excited!

• Like 1

GrantM

@Claire T Our flights have been booked and will be departing 13 April 2015 to the US and then cross the border on 18 April. Super excited!

WAWAWEEWA! You aren't messing around now, are you?

Claire T

Wow! @ Pampoentjie, Were you guys all packed and just waiting for the passports? :D That is a very quick departure!

GrantM

c1f8cc9f-2e1a-4d2b-a600-8a67a30ac479Capt

Just a little analysis of where South African FSW 2014 applicants have decided to settle - well initially I suppose.

37% in Calgary

27% in Toronto

11% in Vancouver

5% each for Edmonton, Halifax, Kelwona, Mississauga and Ottawa

• Like 1

wernerb

Hi all... just checked on the CiC website... our processing started 17 February!

Without an AOR ? thats fine by me!

Happy days!

GrantM

Hi all... just checked on the CiC website... our processing started 17 February!

Without an AOR ? thats fine by me!

Happy days!

Awesome news! Congrats!