Sign in to follow this  
Angiedoo

Vancouver...sweaty?

Angiedoo

Hi guys,

Have you guys noticed you sweat way more here than in South Africa?

I never used to sweat in SA but here I do.

Anyone else experience it?

OutOfSa

Depending where you live, it's probably the humidity... High humidity stops the perspiration on you skin (which is always there) from evaporating, so you feel sweaty. Not much you can do about it - but I have found talcum power in the offending spots can help, I have even resorted to spraying my upper legs with anti-antiperspirant! Which worked wonders on those 100% 45 degree days...! (Don't judge me :blush: )

• Like 1

Sheryl

Maybe it's 'cause we're so used to the cold now! I lived in Durban which has high humidity almost all year round, but I find the humidity here in summer really catches me, so I guess I'm too acclimatized to Canadian cold now!

• Like 1

KarinN

Thing is, in Vancouver we don't really have the same kind of high humidity that you have in Ontario.

Is it mostly when you are outside or inside?

Edited by KarinN

Angiedoo

Inside. The heating is not on. All windows are open but still have these sweat attacks.

OutOfSa

If that is the case, then have you considered that it may just be a form of panic? We all deal with the 'trauma' of moving in our own way, there are cleshes that refer to it like -'don't sweat it....'

I've felt like that before while waiting in emergency for to have my eye looked at; (which I poked with a sharp stick, I know - ever heard the cleshe ' Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! '- don't judge me :D ) .

I've also woken up in the night hot and sweaty even though it was cold (When I had no job, everything was messed up, driving on the RHS etc... It's a lot to take in.)

Jules

From what I'm told, Vancouver does not have humidity issues.

Cathy K

OutOfSA may be right. You are newly landed and was under a lot of stress before you arrived. This could be a delayed reaction to everything you went through in the last year. (I read your amazing story).

Maybe our temperate climate is not the culprit.

This should also pass.

KarinN

Do you have adequate ventilation when the doors and windows are open? Our condo only has windows and doors on one side and at times it could easily be 6C warmer inside. Maybe get a cheap temp/humidity meter - I got an electronic one for under $10 from Home Depot, just to check what the humidity is inside you house. Humidity hovers at 40% in my study because of the fishtank there, so I stay away from that room on warmer days. And the condo's dehumidifier (because there is no windows for the bathrooms) doesn't work that great when the filters haven't been cleaned.

Jules

early onset menopause? he he he just asking :ilikeit:

Oh no you didn't...

(You a brave man lol)

Old Van

Lol Petros! You beat me to it. My wife also sweats more in Vancouver, but that's is because we literally arrived a day after the onset of her menopause. :P

Angiedoo

All problems for women seem to start with "men".

Lol I think it might be ventilation or anxiety but I am usually relaxed at home.

GrantM

Jules

Men just cannot stay out of trouble, can we? "Men"opause!

Not sure what we have to do with the whole men-strual cycle anyway ;-)

Angiedoo

Haha. U guys are funny. Thanks for the pic GrantM unfortunately I have to be very careful with what antiperspirant to use as I just found out I am allergic to PG and it's in almost everything! !!

Sideline

Angie, try crystal brand, it's natural salts and no "modern chemicals". Works brilliantly. Widely available in Canada.

http://www.thecrystal.com

• Like 1

Angiedoo

Thanks Sideline, I will look into that!

jonathan.b

Funny you say that Angiedoo!

I come from Durban, where is already a fair amount of humidity. I didn't find the sweating an issue (I assume because my body is used to a humid climate).

I'm personally dreading the constant rain in Vancouver.

There's no much snow, but I've heard it rains a ton, meh... :'(