Sign in to follow this  
02JoJo

Children - staying home alone

02JoJo

Is there a legal age in Edmonton that young children are allowed to stay home alone for a few hours after school?

Some people have said 12 years and some have said 10 years.

I start work soon and my eldest son would prefer coming home straight from school instead of going to a daycare. He would be alone for a maximum of 2 hours per day.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it but just trying to find out what the law states.

Sideline

Hi Jojo,

Well both are actually correct. See here for the full reasoning and understanding. https://www.childsafecanada.com/faq.aspx

And Alberta's official website http://www.programs.alberta.ca/living/9281.aspx?N=770+9252&id=1765

Basically there is no law for any age in Alberta, but expectations and I suppose the 'norm' seems to be from age 12.

Hope this helps

Edited by Sideline

02JoJo

Thanks Sideline!

MaryJane

I registered my child for a "stay-at-home" workshop. She learnt quite a bit about what to do and what not to do. I leave her at home for a few hours a day during summer.

02JoJo

That is a great idea, thank you MaryJane, I will look into registering him for a workshop like you mentioned.

Guest Petros

Thats the beauty of Canada its safe so children around 12 if they are well taught can easily just walk home and be alone. Like many of us did growing up in SA.

02JoJo

Exactly Petros, I would never in my life even consider it back in SA.

AnelleR2008

I think the workshop is a good thing to do. Kids can babysit at age 12, so I'm pretty sure they can stay at home before that :D :D

02JoJo

Good point Anelle!

My son is a mature 10 year old so I will get him to do a course and see how it goes from there.

Tracey22

My son did a course through the community centre for staying at home. it also included babysitting. they learned about looking after children, did a mini CPR course and also did a course on how to create pamphlet, flyers and business cards to get their babysitting business up and running.

02JoJo

Fantastic Tracey!

Canada never ceases to amaze me with the tools they offer children.

Tracey22

Despite all our (as a collective group) moaning that Canada does not teach the kids the rewards of winning, that winning and losing is the same, that you should walk away from a fight instead of smacking a kid who is bullying you etc, there is a lot of help within the system to set the kids up for success.

ryan01

It's always good to know. I have a 14 year old and a 6 year old and they sometimes look after eachother here in SA if we run into a situation that neither my wife or I can't be home. It always makes us stress out knowing that they are home alone, not because they are uncapable of looking after themselves but because of the country we live in.