Sign in to follow this  
Charles&Deirdre

In search of Cream Soda

Charles&Deirdre

Hi everyone, I recently saw a post on a facebook page (SA Foods) about a softdrink, called "Pakola". It is the Pakistani eqivalent (mind the spelling) of South African Cream Soda. Has anyone seen it in Canada or drank it? I know that you can buy tins of Cream Soda at the South African shops but I am looking for your opinion on "Pakola". Apparently you can buy this in the USA as well.

Cathy K

Canada has cream soda too, but it is pink!

Jules

Do you think it tastes like SA creme soda? I guess everyone's taste buds are not the same, and to me it tastes totally different. Like 180 degrees different.

Charles&Deirdre

I agree Jules, and that is why I am in search of Pakola, to find out whether it tastes the same as South African Cream Soda. The Canadian one is just something I just can't get use to!

GrantM

Seriously reconsidering our immigration now. How will I survive without the "groen ambulans"?

oERAL7o.jpg

Jules

I agree Jules, and that is why I am in search of Pakola, to find out whether it tastes the same as South African Cream Soda. The Canadian one is just something I just can't get use to!

If Pakola is an import from Pakistan then the price per can could be similar to buying pop from a speciality SA store here in Canada. Might as well buy the real thing ( I doubt if the Pakistan import is going to be priced similar to Coke or Pepsi here)

Nelline

There's a place not too far from where I work which sells it. I'll try and pop in sometime and get a price.

Old Van

I've tried some Cream Soda that is the colour of ginger ale, and it tastes exactly like the green Sparletta stuff. I will have to get some again because I've forgotten the name. Just don't pour it out in a glass because the colour will trick you into thinking it tastes different! Believe me! I drank it out of the tin and it tasted exactly like Sparletta, but the minute I saw the colour, the taste changed completely!

Tracey22

My kids would not drink it because they said it tastes like root beer. I told them to close their eyes and drink, but they refused. oh well. So every so often, we get them a Sparletta or Cream Soda treat

Nelline

OK, the result of some local market research. Jakes visited the Pakistani store today and found the Pakola. The colour is exactly the same as "real" cream soda, and it tastes similar, but is not The Real McCoy. Definitely less sweet, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It reminded me a little of the "sodastream" cream soda drink we all made in the late 70's / 80's.

Price was $0.99 per tin.

• Like 1

Garreth

Our local FreschCo stocks Pakola, we buy regularly as it is the closest Cream Soda we found to SA style. My wife and I recommend it if you like Cream Soda, we pay 0.69 per can.

20140705_170303_zps22b26794.jpg

• Like 1

dwaalw
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2014 at 4:35 PM, Jules said:
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2014 at 10:18 AM, Cathy K said:

Do you think it tastes like SA creme soda? I guess everyone's taste buds are not the same, and to me it tastes totally different. Like 180 degrees different.

Schweppes makes a cream soda in Canada, it is almost the same as the Sparletta