Sign in to follow this  
dmkza

Work permit

dmkza

Has anyone applied for a work permit lately and how long did it take to get approved?

Our agent says that it should take about 4 months. We have a possitive LMO.

Thanks in advance

M-N

Hi dmkza,

Congratulations on your positive LMO. It's a great feeling when you get that news. According to the CIC website, if you apply from within SA it could take 4 months to process. We will be starting our application soon too so I can't really say much from experience but from what I gather, the important thing is make sure you have all the documentation ready and correct BEFORE you submit the application. Check and double-check because that will be a delaying factor if it does not turn out to be complete or correct.

Best of luck!

Regards,

Nicky

Alie

Hi dmkza, any news on your work permit yet?

Congratulations Nicky!! You're almost on your way!! YAY!

Morgan

Hi, I'd also like to know. feel like I'm in a bubble. Hubby (diesel mechanic) had Skype interview on Thursday, received contract on Friday, signed and sent back (to recruitment agency). contract states he should be leaving between Jan - Mar 2015 (that's in 3-5 months time)- interviewer mentioned something about not going through Pretoria as it will take forever. We're waiting for LMIA outcome. So far all we have is passports. applied for police clearance certificates on Thursday as well. Am I missing something? why does hubby's timeline seem so short compared to the stories I've heard. My son & I will be joining him after his 3 mnths probation. Should we apply for our visa's now and submit with his? my son is 5 years old (Grade R). I've read (somewhere) we can both go on a temporary resident visa. what about schooling for him if we don't even know which school he will attend? #confused#

M-N

Hi, I'd also like to know. feel like I'm in a bubble. Hubby (diesel mechanic) had Skype interview on Thursday, received contract on Friday, signed and sent back (to recruitment agency). contract states he should be leaving between Jan - Mar 2015 (that's in 3-5 months time)- interviewer mentioned something about not going through Pretoria as it will take forever. We're waiting for LMIA outcome. So far all we have is passports. applied for police clearance certificates on Thursday as well. Am I missing something? why does hubby's timeline seem so short compared to the stories I've heard. My son & I will be joining him after his 3 mnths probation. Should we apply for our visa's now and submit with his? my son is 5 years old (Grade R). I've read (somewhere) we can both go on a temporary resident visa. what about schooling for him if we don't even know which school he will attend? #confused#

Hi and welcome!

I'm not sure about the not going through PTA things as I'm under the impression that you have to if you are in SA but I can be wrong. You can check "round 2" of my timeline to see the estimates of the time taken. Other advice I can give is to not do anything until you have the LMIA approved because unless you have a LMIA-exempt offer, can't apply for a WP. Also, once you are ready to apply you can gi for upfront medicals and submiy this with the application. It's not necessarily faster but it helps with the wait for things part. Feel free to message me should you have further questions. Will probably only be able to respond by Wednesday.

Have a great day!

Nicky

EvB

Temporary Foreign Worker Program sanctions Alberta lodging company

Noralta Lodge says it 'co-operated' with the 5-month audit

Nov 06, 2014 8:43 PM ET

Susana Mas, CBC News

The federal government has barred a lodging company in Alberta's oilsands from using the Temporary Foreign Worker Program

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/temporary-foreign-worker-program-sanctions-alberta-lodging-company-1.2826079

EvB

Some further background info to look at when thinking about TFW program via a WP.

On that, renewals also are becoming more challenging that can cause putting people in limbo, lots of tears and drama down the road. If this is the plan for you coming on a WP plan well in advance for things like, what happens if my emplouer changes, what happens when the company downsizes, thus check out economic outlooks too, what happens when I want to change jobs, etc etc etc. Please guys think about stuff down the road. For instance make sure you have plenty passport time remaining when leaving SA. Getting new passports from Canada in order to renew permits could a tricky and challenging balancing act that can flip you in limbo very quickly. I am not saying do not come to Canada. What I am saying think ahead and plan for those situations as the WP is much different now than previously.

Jason Kenney Effectively 'Phasing Out' Foreign Worker Program

CBC 06/21/14 06:00 AM ET

Employment Minister Jason Kenney says he considered shutting down the Temporary Foreign Worker Program altogether but has decided to phase it out instead.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/5517424