Sign in to follow this  
AndrewT

WES majors differ from original majors - what's best to do?

AndrewT

The WES educational credential assessment (ECA) lists my majors as Applied Mathematics and Statistics. But my majors were actually slightly different: Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics.

The graduation certificate just lists the degree, not the majors. But if you read the transcript carefully, it has the following at the end: "SUBJECT DISTINCTION MATHS, MATHS STATS, CM - MATHS 3, MATHS STATS 3" (CM = cert of merit). Other than that, there is no indication of what my majors actually were.

It obviously makes sense to enter the WES majors in the application form, as that's the only information verifiable on any other source document.

But does anyone have any advice (or experience) as to whether it's better to:

1. Include a "full disclosure" addendum (in this case explaining that the WES assessment of the Canadian equivalent majors is different from the original majors, and I have entered the WES majors in the form)
  2. Include a disclaimer without any further explanation (e.g. a footnote: "As assessed by WES")
  3. Just use the WES majors without any further explanation i.e. favour simplicity over accuracy.

I've tried to phrase these options in more general terms, so that the advice can be useful in other similar circumstances as well.

[NB: The majors don't matter for the purposes of the application, as I am applying under NOC 2174 - computer programmer. This is really about the best policy to follow when dealing with CIC.]

Sideline

The WES educational credential assessment (ECA) lists my majors as Applied Mathematics and Statistics. But my majors were actually slightly different: Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics.

The graduation certificate just lists the degree, not the majors. But if you read the transcript carefully, it has the following at the end: "SUBJECT DISTINCTION MATHS, MATHS STATS, CM - MATHS 3, MATHS STATS 3" (CM = cert of merit). Other than that, there is no indication of what my majors actually were.

It obviously makes sense to enter the WES majors in the application form, as that's the only information verifiable on any other source document.

But does anyone have any advice (or experience) as to whether it's better to:

1. Include a "full disclosure" addendum (in this case explaining that the WES assessment of the Canadian equivalent majors is different from the original majors, and I have entered the WES majors in the form)
  2. Include a disclaimer without any further explanation (e.g. a footnote: "As assessed by WES")
  3. Just use the WES majors without any further explanation i.e. favour simplicity over accuracy.

I've tried to phrase these options in more general terms, so that the advice can be useful in other similar circumstances as well.

[NB: The majors don't matter for the purposes of the application, as I am applying under NOC 2174 - computer programmer. This is really about the best policy to follow when dealing with CIC.]

Submit both versions. Your SA transcripts / majors / degrees etc and the WES assessment.

CIC wont make much use of it other than to check that you do in fact qualify on the points for degrees and so forth, then that you do meet the requirements for the NOC you have applied under. CIC are about proof of paperwork. The more your give them the better they feel that you are in fact not hiding anything.

When we applied all those years ago, we even cataloged, filed and cross referenced every page into a index and reference system. They got 3 files filled up with all sorts of stuff. A little OCD, but hey we got to Canada!

Where WES does come into play is when you get to Canada and have to explain your education and experience in "Canadian" terms for jobs and so forth.

Hope this helps you.

• Like 1

AndrewT

Thanks for taking the time to share your insight.

We went with your advice and included lots of detail, explanations and addenda (for this and a number of other anomalies). My natural tendency is to be excruciatingly detail-oriented, so I was very happy to go this route!

Now the application is on its way, so it's all out of our hands... what a weird feeling to have free time again.

• Like 1