Sign in to follow this  
apl737

Eagles, Osprey and various sights around Port Moody on 26 April 2014

apl737

I gotta say - Port Moody/Coquitlam is brilliant place to live - the wildlife is absolutely phenomenal ... Here are some shots taken when we were out crabbing yesterday - about 15 minutes by boat up towards Indian Arm ...

After we had finished up crabbing (around 2ish) we always dish out the leftover chicken to the seagulls - who put on a cool diving/retrieving display - and out of the blue (literally) came this eagle - dive bombing the gulls to get the chicken ... he was literally 5 feet away from us - at times I thought he was gonna grab me or my missus (no such luck - just kidding) ... ... now I am (sorta) experienced in photography - but I have never attempted to shoot BIF's (bird in flight) - and an eagle nogal! I was completely unprepared - camera settings were all wrong - I had my 400 mm lens on - focus in most of the shots was waaaay off - but I did get lucky with some of them ... shared here (you bet I am going to do a whole lot betta and be more prepared next time) - anyways - thought I would share a brilliant small place called Port Moody :)

IMG_4531.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

IMG_4539.jpg

IMG_4544.jpg

and then further down towards Vancouver - just before going under the second narrows bridge is the Chevron oil refinery - (most times not seen from the water perspective) (bottom of Willingdon - for those who know this area)

IMG_4499.jpg

and then a fair shot of Vancouver as seen from a few hundred feet from the 2nd narrows bridge ...

IMG_4491.jpg

and finally - upon our return to Rocky Point - about 500 ft from the pier are these nesting Osprey ...

IMG_4603.jpg

anyways - I hope you enjoy these as much as I enjoyed taking them ... sightings like these make me and the missus feel pretty privileged and honored :)

cheers - until our next adventure :) Phil

(ps - are my jpg's to big - did I break any forum rules?? - please let me know)

• Like 1

Eva

Thanks for sharing Phil! The photos are brilliant - love the 1st one esp. I guess only in BC can an oil refinery look almost attractive! My husband is a VERY keen fisherman and hoping like crazy that he will land a job in this beautiful part of the world. He is so optimistic that he even added his fishing ski to our goods to follow list.

apl737

Thanks for sharing Phil! The photos are brilliant - love the 1st one esp. I guess only in BC can an oil refinery look almost attractive! My husband is a VERY keen fisherman and hoping like crazy that he will land a job in this beautiful part of the world. He is so optimistic that he even added his fishing ski to our goods to follow list.

Eva - thanks ... keep positive - and you will get here ... it is the most awesome place to live ... the wild life is amazing ... fishing is absolutely incredible - although we are not great fisher folk (Lord knows we have tried!!) ... but - this year we have made it a resolution - we gonna fish ... but I reckon we will try lake/river fishing - in the ocean is waaaay to hard! Religiously, every year we add salmon stamps to our license - but, have we ever caught one ..... not even a nibble!

Once we have become more acclimatized to our new boat we will shoot up to Alhouette Lake - give Pitt Lake a try as well ... jumping from a 15' to a 20' (for us) has been a huge step ... and we are still learning the ins and outs of inboard versus outboard :) ... and all the extra room (and comfort)

as they say in the classics - vasbyt - you will be here before you know it :)

phil

Tracey22

beautiful photographs

Cathy K

Unbelievable photographs! This hobby should be profitable.

kodacat

Wonderful!! Thank you for sharing!