Sign in to follow this  
Jason & Marianne

Any Former South African's in Ottawa

Jason & Marianne

Good day All

The process of our FSW Visa applicatiion is nearing conclution and we are considering Ottawa for the big move... Is there anyone on the forum who currently resides in Ottawa and would you suggest it for our move and why? Any suggestions/advice welcomed - specifically also refer to transportation, living conditions, culture, activities, etc.

:ilikeit: or :badidea:

Thanks!!

Tracey22

My sister lives in Ottawa, and she loves it. I compare Ottawa to Pretoria. It is smaller than Toronto in population but almost double in land size. being a smaller city, the people are more "country" folk, anf the community she is in is very cosy and welcoming. The winter activities there are great - primarily becaus ethey are colder and have more snow than Toronto. So there is snow shoeing, cross country skiing on the bike paths, skating on the canal., there is a fortune of skiing in the area. the summer offers as much to do as toronto. You can live closer to the downtown core and have quick access to the symphony, theatre etc.

Most people there are either federal, provincial employees or foreign officials.

• Like 1

AnelleR2008

We are near Ottawa (about an hour out of Ottawa) and we lived in Ottawa for a year.

We love Ottawa. There are loads of activities year-round, lots of immigrants from all over the world (I personally love that) and like Tracey says it is a welcoming community.
Do you have kids?

• Like 1

Jason & Marianne

We are near Ottawa (about an hour out of Ottawa) and we lived in Ottawa for a year.

We love Ottawa. There are loads of activities year-round, lots of immigrants from all over the world (I personally love that) and like Tracey says it is a welcoming community.

Do you have kids?

Hi

Thank you for the replies thus far. No kids. Yet. :D

How is the public transport? Reliable/accessible? Will we need to arrange for a personal vehicle or can we rely on the current transport systems initially?

I love the welcoming culture that you guys describe, and am looking forward to it!

Many Thanks

Herman & Marianne

• Like 1

AnelleR2008

The reason why I asked aobut kids is because it is a great city to raise kids in.

Public transport is great, for sure!

• Like 1

Nelline

I live in Ottawa, and you are welcome to contact me to chat. Send me a PM and with your landline number / Skype id and we can talk

Buses are very good but kind of restricted. For example, to go straight into town is fine, but to try and reach my work (about 10km away from my house) I need to take a bus into town and then a connecting one to work... Making it about a 70 minute trip in and again, out. By car the trip is 15 minutes in good traffic and 25 minutes in bad traffic...

Ottawa is a great place to bring up kids and the school system so far I have found fabulous.

• Like 2

errolo

Hi

We live in Limoges, south east about 30k from Ottawa east. Depending where you live in relation to work will influence the convenience of public transport. We found that the greater affordability of homes outside of the city was well worth the commute and vehicle cost,anyway unless you are a complete city lover you definitely need a car in Canada

Annamarie R

Hi Herman and Marianne

I sent you a personal message! good luck!

Ottawa is like Bloemfontein, Holland and Pretoria all in one :)

I have sadly not visited this forum for so long, apologies!

would love to meet up with the lovely Ottawa ladies, vir koek en koffie :)

Jules

Best advice on where to live: research your job options and go where you are most likely to find decent employment.

Nelline

Spot on Jules!!

Best advice on where to live: research your job options and go where you are most likely to find decent employment.