Sign in to follow this  
Alie

Pregnancy - Best gynecologist Edmonton, Alberta

Alie

Hi there, I was wondering if you could please assist with recommendations for gynecologists in the Edmonton area, please. We're planning on starting a family soon and I understand that there are waiting lists for all the good gynecologists. If this is true, I'll need to add myself to the wait list in advance. Thanks so much.

Nelline

I haven't had a baby here in Canada but my understanding is that the system is close to the UK system where you only see a gynecologist when there is a problem / likely to be a problem, and not as a matter of course. You have to be referred by your GP unless you plan to pay privately. I believe it is also a midwife-led system (which is fabulous!), is there someone with experience who can give more information on this and perhaps correct me etc?

Stefan

Yes , just had two babies in the last 3 years, but in Oakville. Our Oakville "gynie" called ObGyn here, Obstretrician-Gynaecologist) was one of the best but was referred by our GP after a series of false starts. And he led us through all sorts of concerns in pregnancy and even got to deliver them both. In Ontario at least, a normal pregnancy is followed by a GP and you can choose to some degree where and how you want to give birth and whether to use a midwife (registered). When there are complications, the doctor will try to convince you to give her/him more control of the situation.

All the best with the starting a family, it's a beautiful thing!

Alie

Hi guys, thanks so much for the info.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I will have to visit a GP throughout my pregnancy unless if there are problems and he has to refer me to a Gynecologist? Unless if I want to pay privately?

Who then delivers the baby? The GP? Can I opt for a C-Section is this also done by a GP?

Thanks a mil and thank you for your kind wishes in starting our family soon :) xx

Stefan

AltaV, your regional municipality should have answers to those questions, or else the local hospital and definitely your GP. Our family planning started with an appointment with our GP, who gave us a pep talk about all things pregnancy from a health pesperctive. Our regional municipality (Halton region) has an info line, flyers, community centres and hospitals which are happily providing info, so your community should have something like this too.

Stefan

Kiepie

Hi guys, thanks so much for the info.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I will have to visit a GP throughout my pregnancy unless if there are problems and he has to refer me to a Gynecologist? Unless if I want to pay privately?

Who then delivers the baby? The GP? Can I opt for a C-Section is this also done by a GP?

Thanks a mil and thank you for your kind wishes in starting our family soon :) xx

HI there. I have three children of whom two were born in Canada.

For me this has always been case when we get to a new community, (we have moved in Alberta between baby two and three) you need to first find a GP. Call clinics in the phone book and ask if there are any doctors accepting new patients. Some doctors are closed and sometimes finding a GP can be problematic.

So, when you have found a GP. The GP can go through a health check with you before conception. Then at about week 24 of your pregnancy your GP will refer you to a Gynie. Mine has always given me options. My last decision for a Gynie was based on the hospital he delivers in. I went with a gynie in St.Albert because I was partial to the new hospital in St. Albert. Luckily, I did well with the Gynie. And all turned our fine! Little babe was delivered via C-section (scheduled)

Now about C-sections. I have not heard or come across a Gynie that will do a scheduled C-section right of the bat. Doctors here are VERY keen on the natural means of giving birth. Having gone though 3 C-sections myself, I must say it gets much harder on your body after three. And the after pains are akin to birthing contractions. If I were to make this decision again. I will opt for a Mid-wife birth in a hospital. Mid-wives are much more in-tune with what you need during the process, that just the end result of the baby getting out.

I hope this gives you some pointers. I had a friend use a mid-wife recently and I assume there were no fees involved. I have never paid for any health services. OK that is a lie: the only services you can expect to pay for is eye-care, dental-care and chiropractors and such. These are run on a private system. But anything to do with GPs, nurses and hospitals are covered by your Alberta Health card.

Edited by Kiepie

Nelline

Now about C-sections. I have not heard or come across a Gynie that will do a scheduled C-section right of the bat. Doctors here are VERY keen on the natural means of giving birth. Having gone though 3 C-sections myself, I must say it gets much harder on your body after three. And the after pains are akin to birthing contractions. If I were to make this decision again. I will opt for a Mid-wife birth in a hospital. Mid-wives are much more in-tune with what you need during the process, that just the end result of the baby getting out.

I agree with this 100%. C-section should be for complications, necessary in saving the life of the mother and / or baby. It is, after all, major abdominal surgery with it's own set of potential complications. Your recovery time after surgery is much longer and more painful in the long run than a straightforward, uncomplicated "natural" birth.