Sign in to follow this  
Charl&Wouter

Tips to get RTMC letter to help with Canada drivers license?

Druce

I will need to keep this in mind.

Does anyone know if this will help in Manitoba?

MaryJane
13 hours ago, Druce said:

I will need to keep this in mind.

Does anyone know if this will help in Manitoba?

Yes, it should. I don't know if it's still applicable, but just note that in Manitoba, when you go for your licence, they usually take your SA licence away.

• Like 1

Druce

Thanks for the reply @MaryJane!

I will try to find out about the SA License that they take. I guess you can just re-apply for a SA License as you need to renew every 5 years so. Cant see that this will be a huge setback.

MaryJane

It's not a setback but I'm curious... Why would you want to renew your SA licence again? From Canada?

Hubby just confirmed with me that they took his SA licence and the RMTC letter when he booked for his driving test.

Druce

No particular reason @MaryJane, just saying it can be done, if anyone wanted to...

Robes

Hi, we just wrote and passed our learners test in BC which went really easy and was $15 each. You can get the learner book for free from an ICBC Licensing office or via the website (http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/driving-guides/Pages/Learn-to-Drive-Smart.aspx). I would highly recommend you do their practice test (http://practicetest.icbc.com/#/) a few times because they are particular on how to answer the question. It is 50 questions multiple choice and you have to get 80% to pass.

You are also only allowed 3 months to drive on your SA license in BC and then you have to surrender it. They didn't care for our RTMC letter because our driver's licenses showed we had more than 2 years of driving experience (but still happy I got them). In addition, because we had more than 2 years of driving experience we can go straight from learners to the driving test without having to do the novice license period. We also planning on doing one or two drivers lessons to brush up on what the examiner is looking for (estimated at $70 for an hour) and the ICBC drivers test is $50. 

Anyone in Vancouver/North Van used a drivers instructor that they could recommend?

I am surprised that they take your SA license once we get a BC office. Does SA do that? Will I now have to get an international drivers license when I get home for visits or can I also use my Canadian license for a set period? Just out of interest has anyone renewed their SA license after it was taken or never needed to?

MaryJane

According to Canada travel.gc.ca, you can use your provincial drivers licence in SA but it is advisable to rather get an international drivers licence for car rental insurance purposes.

image.jpeg

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/south-africa

• Like 1

Robes

Great thanks MaryJane!

OlaC

Hi all,

I arrived In Ontario 4 months ago. Without proof of driving experience. I just didn't know.

Has anyone tried to get the RTMC letter via the SA embassy/commission in Toronto? I am trying to figure out if there is a way to avoid sending my aging and impatient parents to Pretoria to sort it out for me...

Many thanks

Ola

JeffH

I picked up mine today at the Pretoria office. Pretty straightforward. Not sure if they will scan and send - it's a pretty formal letter, similar to an eNATIS certificate. I would recommend getting someone you know/trust to pick it up - they may need a letter from you and copy of your SA ID (you surely still have this). 

You can try David (see the email in thread above) but he did not respond until I sent a mail to the generic info mailbox via the contact us page (which went to David anyway - but only then did he respond). There is a different name and email on the actual certificate - you can try these: Moshiane Moetapele (moshianem@rtmc.co.za) 

• Like 1

M-N
7 hours ago, OlaC said:

Hi all,

I arrived In Ontario 4 months ago. Without proof of driving experience. I just didn't know.

Has anyone tried to get the RTMC letter via the SA embassy/commission in Toronto? I am trying to figure out if there is a way to avoid sending my aging and impatient parents to Pretoria to sort it out for me...

Many thanks

Ola

Hi, we did the same, I contacted David (as above) and gave him our ID and full name. I had a friend in SA arrange a courier, we used Capricorn Express, to collect the certificates and drop it off at my her place as she couldn't pick it up herself. She then sent it off to us via fed-ex. I think all in all it cost me 150$ (I think, I may be worng) and that was for the courier mostly. If you have someone that can physically go and pick it up then you might save some costs. 

Edited by M-N
  • Like 1

CarelG

Is there an expiry date for the RTMC letter? 

• Like 1

MaryJane
18 minutes ago, CallieMarie said:

Is there an expiry date for the RTMC letter? 

It must be dated no more than 6 months prior to you submitting it to the driving authority (I.e. DriveTest).

• Like 1

LotzofTravel

Reviving this thread again:  Does the RTMC letter say anything about E-Tolls and Traffic Fines?

Annasofe13

@LotzofTravel nothing about that

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Carol_M

Hi all, just on drivers licenses. We are going to be doing our landing in Jan and will be there for 2,5 weeks before returning to SA to finalise. What are your thoughts on doing the G1 test when we do our landing or should we just do this when we have done the permanent move? I am trying to squeeze in as much as possible during our landing trip so when we do come over permanently there is less to attend to. Your input would be much appreciated. Many thanks,

Tanya West

Hello all, just on the RTMC letters required for conversions of drivers license. Has anyone had experience recently of being able to convert the SA drivers license in Ontario Canada without having the letter from RTMC?